Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Bird Talk 
Thread started 11 Oct 2010 (Monday) 23:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Tips and Hints, Captiva, Sanibel and Ft. Myers area

ducklabdad
579 posts
Joined May 2009

Oct 11, 2010 23:02 |  #1

Well I am finally going to get to take my trip to Captiva-Sanibel Islands and the Ding Darling NWR in a few weeks. I have been there in the past, but this will be my first time with some good glass and I will spend a majority of 7 days "in the field" while I am there.

Anyone from the area that can give me any tips or hints, or specific areas etc.. that I should try would be appreciated. I understand the value of local knowledge as I have worked as a fishing guide myself in years past.

Also any other areas that I should look into (but do not want to spread myself too thin) really looking forward to this trip and I really want to be prepared to make the most of it.

Thanks,
Bill Hampton

Just an "ole dog" trying to learn "new tricks"! helpful advice is always welcome!!

Canon 7d, Canon XS/ XSi,18-55, 14-40 L, 70-300, and Bigmos! my"work in progress" http://ducklabdad.smug​mug.com/ (external link)

sponsored links
G3G4G5
882 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2010

Oct 12, 2010 18:19 |  #2

I found Bunche Beach in Ft Myers to be outstanding last winter. I rarely saw anyone else! The sun was best in the AM. Parking lot, porta-potty too. Just Google Map it and good luck.

Chris

Chris
1D Mark IV, 7D, EF 500mm f/4L IS, EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L, EF 17-40mm f/4L
Flickr (external link)

markmizzou
Goldmember
1,343 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Oct 14, 2010 10:24 |  #3

Bill -- I sent you a PM

ducklabdad
THREAD ­ STARTER
579 posts
Joined May 2009

Oct 24, 2010 23:03 |  #4

Thanks for responses and hints I appreciate it. I am looking forward to the trip, and can use all the help that I can get.

Just an "ole dog" trying to learn "new tricks"! helpful advice is always welcome!!

Canon 7d, Canon XS/ XSi,18-55, 14-40 L, 70-300, and Bigmos! my"work in progress" http://ducklabdad.smug​mug.com/ (external link)

julianmarble
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Oct 2010

Oct 30, 2010 10:09 as a reply to  @ ducklabdad's post |  #5

Thanks for sharing the tips. I really appreciate you for the effort.

My great Funeral Card Samples (external link)

ducklabdad
THREAD ­ STARTER
579 posts
Joined May 2009

Nov 24, 2010 11:43 |  #6

Well my wife and I just got back from spending 7 days in that wonderful part of the world. Over the next few weeks I will share on the birds and wildlife forums some of the shots that we both got while on this wonderful trip. (It will take me that long to wade through the large number of photos that we were able to get while there.)

First I would like to say thank you to all that responded to this post and the tips and hints that I got. The second thing is that I would like to pass on from my experience on this trip some of the things that we learned that might help someone else who is going there and wants to shoot some photos.

First, go with a plan and use a Calendar to help you plan the best times to be in certain areas.

Do not think of only Early and late, look at the tide tables and make sure that you "understand" how the tide will affect the availabillity of subjects that you want to shoot. The wildlife drive will be best at the lowest tide possible, plan your stay there with this in mind, and be there at the best available time, and understand that the tides in this part of the Refuge will run as much as an hour or more,"behind" the tide tables posted for Tarpon Bay. knowledge of this can help you to maximize your time spent.

Buy a Federal Duck Stamp, "you should anyway if you are into bird photography", But with a duck stamp you get to come and go whenever the refuge is "open" without paying a fee, this allows you to take the trails on any day and multiple times without paying the entry fees.

Rent a Kayak and hit the mangrove trails out from Tarpon Bay Marina, if you use common sense and are cautious you can use your gear without getting it wet, they are good folks to deal with and offer very good equipment to rent. I am over 200 lbs and my wife and I used a Perception 2 person kayak that was very comfortable, manueverable and was able to be paddled very easily even in a good chop without getting my gear wet. In one two hour period I got some fantastic shots (for me) of multiple species of herons, Ibis, egrets, kingfishers, Anhingas, Cormorants, Osprey, and even frigate birds. Many that allowed us to get so close that my 150 to 500 was too much at 150mm.

Hit the beaches at multple sites, we were able to get shots of different species of Terns and Gulls at different beaches.

Talk to several of the locals at the Nature centers in the area. The SCCF and CROW are two that can give you some great ideas for getting different species, and there facillities also offer some photo ops as well.

Carry Insect repellant and/or protective clothing. I saw several people in full net suits, and headnets as the no seeums, were an issue for many early in the day until the wind got up. I am one of the lucky ones that they do not really bother, but some people really have a hard time with them, and mosquitoes at some times. Also watch out for "fire ants" I was shooting a group of manatees near one of the Marinas one morning and did not watch my footing, and before I knew it I was literally covered up with fire ants (flip flops and bare legs are not the best protection for fire ants) I had to laugh at myself.

Remain flexible, and with all nature activities watch the weather and winds, and be safe and have fun!!!

Also for good eats on the Island at a reasonable price and a good time, the Island Cow, beat all that we tried hands down, for Breakfast as well as lunch and dinner.

If I can be of any other assistance to anyone headed that way let me know and I will be glad to pass along what little knowledge that I have accumulated.

Bill Hampton ducklabdad@yahoo.com (external link)

Black_lab
36 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Nov 26, 2010 04:37 as a reply to  @ ducklabdad's post |  #7

Do you need a "Duck Stamp" per person & does it cover a car.

ducklabdad
THREAD ­ STARTER
579 posts
Joined May 2009

Nov 26, 2010 13:20 |  #8

The duck stamp covers the vehicle.

CanaHolic
Goldmember
1,605 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Nov 27, 2010 00:53 |  #9

Bill,
I must commend you on an excellent writeup, I plan to go here sometime in the future, But wont likely be until next year, I found the part about the tides especially helpful and something I would probably not have thought of.

Thanks for sharing your experiences. Very much looking forward to some of your pictures!!!

Dan

Daniel Behm
My Gallery (external link)| (external link)flickr | (external link)Facebook (external link)

CreameryPugs
77 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Nov 27, 2010 11:00 |  #10

Thanks for the great info, Bill!
I am in the throws of planning a Feb trip for 2011. So , I may be contacting you soon for specifics!!!
Nancy

:cool: Nancy Clarke
http://clarkephotos.sm​ugmug.com (external link)

sparker1
Cream of the Crop
29,267 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Dec 15, 2010 15:20 |  #11

Bill, your write-up was excellent, helpful even for us "locals". There are many other good spots in SW Florida, so anyone coming here should ask advice from forum members who live here. I always enjoy helping others.

Stan (See my gallery at http://www.pbase.com/s​parker1 (external link))

7D, 50D, 300D, EF-S 10-22 mm, EF-S 18-55 mm kit lens, EF 24-105 L IS, EF 50 mm 1.8, Sigma 150-500mm (Bigmos)

ducklabdad
THREAD ­ STARTER
579 posts
Joined May 2009

Dec 21, 2010 22:15 |  #12

sparker1 wrote in post #11458333 (external link)
Bill, your write-up was excellent, helpful even for us "locals". There are many other good spots in SW Florida, so anyone coming here should ask advice from forum members who live here. I always enjoy helping others.

CanaHolic wrote in post #11352041 (external link)
Bill,
I must commend you on an excellent writeup, I plan to go here sometime in the future, But wont likely be until next year, I found the part about the tides especially helpful and something I would probably not have thought of.

Thanks for sharing your experiences. Very much looking forward to some of your pictures!!!

Dan

Thanks for the kind remarks, I do really hope that my experience's can help someone else, I will post some pictures soon, but have been swamped at work, and have so many from my trip to wade through, plus the rut and migration of ducks going on here, makes time for sorting and processing almost non-existant. But I am not complaining!!:)

deercreek
69 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Apr 03, 2011 19:51 |  #13

I've been to the area twice, and will be making my third visit in June. After not seeing anything at Ding Darling the first time we went, and barely anything the second time, I finally got clued in about the tides. I agree that the Island Cow is the best place to eat. I also really like Matzaluna.

sponsored links

2,607 views & 0 likes for this thread
Tips and Hints, Captiva, Sanibel and Ft. Myers area
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Bird Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.