Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 03 Apr 2011 (Sunday) 05:17
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lens with a short subject distance

enoto
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 03, 2011 05:17 |  #1

I've just been able to create a small studio in my garage only to find the lenses I have currently don't quite work for the distance available to me.
It is a very small studio and I would like to do some portraiture (including full body shots). I have about 2-3 metres (6.5 - 9.5 foot) of space available to me to put between my subject and myself. Do you know of any lenses that take nice portrait shots, including full body for such a short distance?

Canon 7D • Canon 16-35mm f/2.8 L USM • Canon 24-105mm L IS USM • Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 L IS USM Macro Lens • Canon 50mm f/1.4

sponsored links
Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Apr 03, 2011 05:22 |  #2

sigma 30mm 1.4 comes to mind, but whats wrong with your 16-35? Surely thats wide enough?

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 03, 2011 06:23 as a reply to  @ Sirrith's post |  #3

Your 16-35 should be wide enough but, whatever lens you use, that isn't enough room for full body shots without introducing perspective issues that will affect your subject noticeably.

A good portrait length for your 7D would be around 50mm, the wider you go from that the more you will affect perspective, at 35mm you should get reasonable proportions with care, but as you go wider from that the body parts nearest the camera will become increasingly enlarged, relative to those further away.

yogestee
"my posts can be a little colourful"
13,845 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Apr 03, 2011 06:41 as a reply to  @ sandpiper's post |  #4

Your 16-35mm will work fine..

Jurgen
50D~700D~EOS M~G11~S95~GoPro Hero4 Silver
http://www.pbase.com/j​urgentreue (external link)
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Apr 03, 2011 07:05 |  #5

enoto wrote in post #12147812 (external link)
I've just been able to create a small studio in my garage only to find the lenses I have currently don't quite work for the distance available to me.
It is a very small studio and I would like to do some portraiture (including full body shots). I have about 2-3 metres (6.5 - 9.5 foot) of space available to me to put between my subject and myself. Do you know of any lenses that take nice portrait shots, including full body for such a short distance?

Short camera-subject distance (not focal length choice) causes perspective distortion. It is something that you should fully understand because if the camera is too close, the result is often not pleasing to the subject.

For more information on perspective and how to control it, please read our "sticky" (now found in the General Photography Talk forum) tutorial titled Perspective Control in Images - Focal Length or Distance?.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

gasrocks
Cream of the Crop
13,432 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Apr 03, 2011 08:52 |  #6

Try adding a short (12mm) tube to the lens, MFD will be less. But Skip makes the best point - small = close = odd perspective perhaps.

GEAR LIST

enoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 03, 2011 21:55 |  #7

I'm happy enough to use the 16-35 but the perspective issues worry me a little

Canon 7D • Canon 16-35mm f/2.8 L USM • Canon 24-105mm L IS USM • Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 L IS USM Macro Lens • Canon 50mm f/1.4

windpig
Chopped liver
14,998 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 03, 2011 22:11 |  #8

enoto wrote in post #12152026 (external link)
I'm happy enough to use the 16-35 but the perspective issues worry me a little

It's not the lens, it's how close to the subject you are. If you have to use a 35mm lens to fill the frame because you lack space, then another space and a longer lens should be had.

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Go ahead, spin the wheel.
flickr (external link)
I'm accross the canal just south of Ballard, the town Seattle usurped in 1907.

Bendel
323 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 03, 2011 22:28 |  #9

windpig wrote in post #12152120 (external link)
It's not the lens, it's how close to the subject you are.

Technically yes, but really that's a pretty pointless argument....If you're trying to take a full body portrait of someone, you're going to try to fill the frame as best you can. With a 16-35 you're going to be causing perspective problems because you're going to fill the frame with the subject. The fact is he's out of room, so saying that he can back up and crop down to the same perspective as a 85mm lens is meaningless because he can't. I understand the idea behind saying it's the distance...but what happens in real world practice is what matters, nobody crops their images 75% so they get the same perspective.

Quick edit: I realize you didn't say that's what he should do.

Is there any way you can organize your space so you can stand through a doorway to take the shot with a longer lens? Maybe moving the room around when you wish to take full body portraits is your best option.

Brandon
Canon 5D, 24-105 F4L, 70-200 F4L, 85 F1.8, 430EX II

windpig
Chopped liver
14,998 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 03, 2011 22:33 |  #10

Bendel wrote in post #12152210 (external link)
Is there any way you can organize your space so you can stand through a doorway to take the shot with a longer lens? Maybe moving the room around when you wish to take full body portraits is your best option.

It's funny you say that 'cause that's what I do sometimes.

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Go ahead, spin the wheel.
flickr (external link)
I'm accross the canal just south of Ballard, the town Seattle usurped in 1907.

Bendel
323 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 03, 2011 22:43 |  #11

windpig wrote in post #12152236 (external link)
It's funny you say that 'cause that's what I do sometimes.

I've taken baby pictures in a tiny apartment and taken a shot at an angle through a doorway and partially down the hallway. Only way to do it sometimes...ha

Brandon
Canon 5D, 24-105 F4L, 70-200 F4L, 85 F1.8, 430EX II

sponsored links

1,457 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lens with a short subject distance
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.