Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 08 Mar 2011 (Tuesday) 11:16
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Clik Elite Contrejour 40 Backpack

harv3589
523 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Mar 08, 2011 11:16 |  #1

I just ordered a Clik elite Contrejour 40 and was wondering if anyone else has one that can give me some info on it? Good pack? My other option was to just to use my Mystery Ranch pack that I already own but it is twice as heavy as the Clik. I would be using it for day hikes is all for now and travelling/flying.

This is current pack I have and I just have an divider set from a Pelican case that fits perfect in it...

Mystery Ranch Longbow Pack (external link)

sponsored links
harv3589
THREAD ­ STARTER
523 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Mar 10, 2011 12:40 |  #2

Well the Clik pack came in the mail yesterday and it seems like a great bag. Very well made and planned out to carry equipment and other gear. I will do up a better review later after I have had a chance to use it since no one else on here seems to have done one....

cloose
691 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Mar 11, 2011 14:28 |  #3

Very interested in seeing this....

Thanks for committing to put this together Rob.

http://craigloose.com (external link)

khairolnizam
48 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 11, 2011 19:44 |  #4

looking forward to your review, Rob.

Jptenberg
224 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Mar 12, 2011 10:49 |  #5

Hey Rob-- I just got one of those bags about 2 weeks ago, and I must say that so far it is STELLAR! Finally someone built a real backpack for hauling photo gear, rather than a photo bag with backpack straps on it.

I was out west in Colorado hiking with all my gear, plus an off cam strobe and battery pack, extra clothes, water, and snowshoes strapped to the pack. Probably 50 lbs give or take. It was very comfortable and well balanced for me. I am 6'2" so most of the time packs are too small for me, but this fit perfectly. I am looking forward to many more adventures with this pack. The only drawback I have found is that it the area for a hydration bladder is a little awkward, but maybe I just need to find a different baldder.

Incidentally, I had orderd a different Clik pack first, but it was too small for my gear. called them campany and talked with a real person--Jim--for about 30-40 min. He was very nice and extremely heplful in helping me find what I was looking for.

You will love your new pack!

5D3 | 7D | 17-40L | 24-105L | 70-200L IS II | 100-400L | 24LII | TS-E 24LII | 100L | 135L | 15-85 | Zeiss 50 1.4 | Tokina 11-16 | 580EXII | 430 EXII | Gitzo 3541LS | RRS Leveling base | Arca-Swiss Z1 | RRS Lever Clamp | Gitzo 2542T | Acratech GP-s | RRS TFA-01 with BH-25LR | B+W MRC CP Filters | Hoya ND Filters | Clik-Elite packs | Crumpler bags

TeamDrugMoney
200 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Mar 12, 2011 10:57 |  #6

Jptenberg wrote in post #12006752 (external link)
Hey Rob-- I just got one of those bags about 2 weeks ago, and I must say that so far it is STELLAR! Finally someone built a real backpack for hauling photo gear, rather than a photo bag with backpack straps on it.

I was out west in Colorado hiking with all my gear, plus an off cam strobe and battery pack, extra clothes, water, and snowshoes strapped to the pack. Probably 50 lbs give or take. It was very comfortable and well balanced for me. I am 6'2" so most of the time packs are too small for me, but this fit perfectly. I am looking forward to many more adventures with this pack. The only drawback I have found is that it the area for a hydration bladder is a little awkward, but maybe I just need to find a different baldder.

Incidentally, I had orderd a different Clik pack first, but it was too small for my gear. called them campany and talked with a real person--Jim--for about 30-40 min. He was very nice and extremely heplful in helping me find what I was looking for.

You will love your new pack!

Hey, question for you on this pack. Can you easily get your camera out of the side compartnemt without taking the pack off?

Thanks, Mike

Jptenberg
224 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Mar 12, 2011 12:37 |  #7

You can't really get at the camera door with the pack on, but you don't have to take it all the way off. You can take out your right arm and swing the pack around on your left shoulder like a sling pack. This puts the camera access in a convient position and can be accessed easily. Another solution would be to buy an accessory camera pouch that mounts to the harnesses on the front and holds your camera ready to go on your chest. I have not tried this option, but I imagine that ot would be very handy if you needed to have fast access to your rig on a frequent basis.

5D3 | 7D | 17-40L | 24-105L | 70-200L IS II | 100-400L | 24LII | TS-E 24LII | 100L | 135L | 15-85 | Zeiss 50 1.4 | Tokina 11-16 | 580EXII | 430 EXII | Gitzo 3541LS | RRS Leveling base | Arca-Swiss Z1 | RRS Lever Clamp | Gitzo 2542T | Acratech GP-s | RRS TFA-01 with BH-25LR | B+W MRC CP Filters | Hoya ND Filters | Clik-Elite packs | Crumpler bags

DanielJay
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Apr 04, 2011 21:30 |  #8

I was wondering how your review was coming? I am looking into getting the Contrejour 35 however I am not sure how well it would work as a carry on bag for air travel. Looks like the bag is a few inches to large. Can the frame be removed or is it permanent? I am obviously never going to check my photo gear because it would come up missing or damaged.

mitch2k1
130 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 04, 2011 22:49 |  #9

I'm interested as well, trying to decide between the Contrejour 40 and the F-Stop Tilopa BC / Loka. Any insight into the function, fit, comfort etc. would be appreciated.

Gear List:
Canon 5D MkIII
24-105mm f4L 70-200mm f2.8L Zeiss 50mm 1.4 Zeiss 18mm 3.5 Zeiss 25mm 2.0 100mm 2.8 Macro USM

harv3589
THREAD ­ STARTER
523 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Apr 05, 2011 11:15 |  #10

Sorry I havent got it done yet...waiting on the weather here to get nicer. We just had a huge dump of snow so conditions are not good to do any hikes yet.

I have played around with it in the house and I really like it so far. The build is good and you can adjust it like a "real" pack. The only issue I have come across is my 5D MkII has the grip and a RRS L bracket on it so its a tight fit into the area for your camera...makes a slight bump that you can feel in your back. But I can easily fit my camera, 70-200 F2.8 IS II, 100-400mm, Zeiss 21mm and !00mm Macro lens into it if needed with lots of other room for gear.

I am also 6'2" and it fits me great with good adjustment to get the load onto my hips and not my back.

I will get a good review up when I am able to get into the field and actually try it out....hoping the snow is done finally, we have more than enough.

cloose
691 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Apr 05, 2011 17:48 |  #11

harv3589 wrote in post #12162533 (external link)
....hoping the snow is done finally, we have more than enough.

^ X2 ^

Thanks again Rob. I'm very interested in seeing how much non-camera gear the pack can accommodate, and what dimensions (ie - laptop and clothes in the general area?)

http://craigloose.com (external link)

gremlin75
Goldmember
2,738 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Dec 23, 2011 00:57 |  #12

harv3589 wrote in post #11995342 (external link)
Well the Clik pack came in the mail yesterday and it seems like a great bag. Very well made and planned out to carry equipment and other gear. I will do up a better review later after I have had a chance to use it since no one else on here seems to have done one....

Hate to bring an old thread up but the Contrejour 40 is one of the packs I'm looking into for photography day hikes.

So long term how is the pack working for you and how is it holding up to use?

Rasiadun
51 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Oct 26, 2012 12:58 |  #13

Hope to bring this back to life maybe.

I'm hoping to go on a Mediterranean trip soon with this pack. Anyone travel with this yet? My first thought is that it is large. Loved it in Yellowstone, but maneuvering through a city with large crowds worries me slightly. Not sure if it screams, "mug me!" or not.

sponsored links

7,529 views & 0 likes for this thread
Clik Elite Contrejour 40 Backpack
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.