Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Lenses 
Thread started 04 Apr 2011 (Monday) 08:26
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Zeiss 50 or 85 for my 5DII?

bjolly
651 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 04, 2011 22:39 |  #31

Silverfox1 wrote in post #12159526 (external link)
Looks like we all have the old ones which might be a good thing if like you say the revision created another problem possibly associated with IQ performance.

Mine definitely looks like the one on the right in that link photo more then the middle or left with the higher serial numbers.

http://forum.mflenses.​com/viewtopic.php?t=28​682 (external link)

The 'cost' I was referring to was simply financial. As far as I know, all of the changes were for the better (aside from the price.)

Bryan
Website (external link)

sponsored links
Silverfox1
Goldmember
3,195 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Apr 04, 2011 22:49 as a reply to  @ bjolly's post |  #32

10-4 ! Then we have the old versions but the one i have definitely takes some nice pics even wide open but i do agree the bokeh & blurring leaves a little to be desired since it is pretty nervous. :lol:

Silverfox1 POTN Feedback / TC Extender Tests / Gear List

gasrocks
Cream of the Crop
13,432 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Apr 04, 2011 23:06 |  #33

If you always have a hood attached the difference in results 'tween some single coated lenses and their MC version can be very small.

GEAR LIST

bjolly
651 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 04, 2011 23:13 |  #34

Silverfox1 wrote in post #12159621 (external link)
10-4 ! Then we have the old versions but the one i have definitely takes some nice pics even wide open but i do agree the bokeh & blurring leaves a little to be desired since it is pretty nervous. :lol:

Man, I want to love the lens, but I just did another test against the cheap Canon 50mm 1.8 ii and the Sigma 50mm 2.8 macro, and both the Canon and the Sigma out performed the old Zeiss, especially so in the contrast department. =/

Bryan
Website (external link)

banpreso
Goldmember
2,176 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Apr 04, 2011 23:47 |  #35

thanks denior for the very helpful demonstration. the "can't take a bad shot even if you try" comment is pretty darn tempting!

Flickr (external link)

THE ­ TROOPER
THREAD ­ STARTER
737 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Apr 05, 2011 04:14 |  #36

Thanks for your input guy's. I have a lot to learn about Zeiss lenses and will look into this. The reason for 50 or 85 was simply because I was looking for a portrait lens.

5DII GRIPPED - 17-40L
http://www.dreamworldi​mages.co.uk/ (external link)

ZoneV
Goldmember
1,644 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 05, 2011 04:18 |  #37

I have the Zeiss 85/1.4 and 50/1.4 and 1,7 - all in C/Y mount.

I can second gasrocks comments regarding that lens:
I like the Zeiss 85 very much - as long as I donĀ“t photograph close ups ~ full open. And as long as I have no specular highlights in the background and stopped down lens between 1.4 and ~5.6 - the zig-zag iris on my AE version ist pretty bad. MM version and modern ZE/ZF should be better

Because of these downsides I now have bought and converted a Canon FD 85mm f/1.2L, much better in this regards.

But even with the lower image quality in the close up distance the Zeiss 85/1.4 could make such images:

IMAGE: http://www.4photos.de/galerie/Natur/slides/Tulpe.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.4photos.de/galerie/Natur/slides/Blume.jpg

And stopped down and a bit more distance its great:

IMAGE: http://www.4photos.de/galerie/Natur/slides/Kalenderbild-SW-11.jpg

From my short tests, and what I read on the internet, the Zeiss ZE/ZF 100/2.0 Macro seems to be absolutly a great lens.

DIY-Homepage (external link) - Image Gallery (external link) - Gear List

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 05, 2011 06:46 |  #38

bjolly wrote in post #12159777 (external link)
Man, I want to love the lens, but I just did another test against the cheap Canon 50mm 1.8 ii and the Sigma 50mm 2.8 macro, and both the Canon and the Sigma out performed the old Zeiss, especially so in the contrast department. =/

I'm not a fan of 50mm on a FF but I did pick up a CZ 50/1.7 and, I must say, I am impressed with the IQ. Still, I have nothing to compare to, being my 1 and only 50mm.

I haven't tried it on a newly acquired 7D, where the focal length would work much better for me.

My CZ 28/2.8 is nothing special, imo. I thought it was until I ran some outdoor tests against the lowly Tamron 28-75 and was shocked at the results at f8 where I would usually use this lens.

My conclusion, based on a tiny sample, is that not all Zeiss lenses are best in class, depending on their usage.

Bohdan - I may be, and probably am, completely wrong.
Gear List

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographer (external link)
Flickr (external link)

gasrocks
Cream of the Crop
13,432 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Apr 05, 2011 08:40 |  #39

Not all lenses from any brand are best in class. Zeiss has its better ones, so does Leica.

GEAR LIST

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 05, 2011 11:23 |  #40

gasrocks wrote in post #12161647 (external link)
Not all lenses from any brand are best in class. Zeiss has its better ones, so does Leica.

I think it's important that people realize this.

Bohdan - I may be, and probably am, completely wrong.
Gear List

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographer (external link)
Flickr (external link)

gasrocks
Cream of the Crop
13,432 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Apr 05, 2011 11:33 |  #41

I should have added and not Canon or Nikon either. Love those threads where some one asks if Tamron are any good.

GEAR LIST

ken_vs_ryu
539 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Apr 05, 2011 13:21 |  #42

85/1.4 is a great lens. the bokeh is much more pleasing than the 85l.

http://google-black.blogspot.com (external link)

gasrocks
Cream of the Crop
13,432 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Apr 05, 2011 13:22 |  #43

I can tell that few here have ever shot with a Leica R 80/1.4

GEAR LIST

denoir
Goldmember
1,152 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Apr 05, 2011 13:35 |  #44

gasrocks wrote in post #12161647 (external link)

Yes, but it's also worth considering that "best" is a very relative term. In cases of Zeiss and in my experience Minolta it's very difficult as they often leave optical aberrations to get a certain effect. Most modern lens designs are a search for optical perfection within a target cost (as sharp as possible at all apertures and as well-corrected for all optical aberrations as possible), but there are exceptions and modern Zeiss lenses often belong to that group.

I would be hunted down and killed by Leica aficionados if they heard me say this but I have a sneaking suspicion that a Canon designed lens would be nearly indistinguishable from a Leica lens if Canon would have as high price target for their lenses as Leica. Both seek to come as close as possible to the theoretical optimum in lens performance. The fact that Leica lenses are miles ahead by any metric is because their production costs are much higher due to the use of very expensive exotic glass.

If you asked if the Leica 50 Summilux ASPH was a better lens than the 50L, then the answer would be a simple yes. If you on the other hand asked if the Leica was better than the 50 Planar, it would be like asking "is an elephant better than a giraffe"? If we're talking raw optical performance, then both the Leica and the Canon are superior. The point of the Planar is however not trivial stuff like sharpness but a unique drawing style that can't be replicated by any other lens.

As I said, I would not recommend one of the Planars as a first Zeiss lens but that doesn't mean it's no good. I would not recommend an elephant as a pet, but that doesn't mean that it's a boring animal :)

Luka C.D| My photos (external link) | My videos (external link) | My Cameras & Lenses

Silverfox1
Goldmember
3,195 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Apr 05, 2011 14:23 |  #45

denoir wrote in post #12163460 (external link)
I would not recommend an elephant as a pet, but that doesn't mean that it's a boring animal :)

:lol::lol: ^^^

Luka,

I like your analogy but it would get boring pretty quick cleaning up after it !

Regards, ;)

Silverfox1 POTN Feedback / TC Extender Tests / Gear List

sponsored links

5,099 views & 0 likes for this thread
Zeiss 50 or 85 for my 5DII?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.