Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 24 Mar 2011 (Thursday) 21:50
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

RRS BH-40: Where's the love?

TheArchitect
326 posts
Joined May 2009

Mar 24, 2011 21:50 |  #1

Like many others, I'm deep into research on a ball head. I've got the Q3T, Photo Clam 33NS and BH-40 on my short list. I've been searching and reading and I find everyone raving about RRS quality but I don't see a lot of people using the BH-40. Is there something about it that is less than ideal? Any owners, past or present, care to comment?

Based on all of my searching and reading people really like the Markins head/RRS clamp combo. If I go that route it's $290 for the Markins and another $80 for the RRS screw clamp (no lever for me). Alternatively, I could get the BH-40 with a slightly larger ball diameter and the RRS clamp already on it for less money.

The head is for my Benro A1690TBH0 Travel Angel. I know the base diameter on the BH-40 is slightly larger than the Q3T and that the knob placement may not allow the TA to close all the way. That's not a big deal to me if the BH-40 is a better head.

I guess the other thing I could do is just get the Q3T with the Markins screw clamp and buy RRS plates. Are the Markins screw clamps really that inferior to the RRS version?

Any advice to nudge me in one direction or the other would be appreciated. I think I'm reaching 'analysis paralysis'.

sponsored links
musso
662 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Mar 24, 2011 21:54 |  #2

i had the BH-40 i think is was one of the best ball heads i ever had. i upgraded to the BH-55 that is the only reason i got rid of it. i had a QT3 also it was a very nice ballhead but i would pick the BH-40

joe

thenextguy
Goldmember
2,561 posts
Gallery: 99 photos
Best ofs: 8
Joined Feb 2010

Mar 24, 2011 22:29 as a reply to  @ musso's post |  #3

I looked at the BH-40, but ended up going with the Q3T because:

1) It paired better with the Gitzo GT1541t
2) It was cheaper.
3) Nothing I read suggested it was inferior to the BH-40.

Steve -- Website (external link) -- Flickr (external link) -- Tumblr (external link) -- Instagram (external link) -- 500px (external link) (New!)
Canon 5Ds R | 24-70L f/2.8 II | 35 F2 IS | 50mm f/1.4 | 70-200L f/2.8 II

peter_n
Goldmember
2,451 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Mar 25, 2011 08:15 |  #4

Where are you looking? This forum seems fixated on Markins ballheads (I have two myself) but if you want a more balanced outlook try the FM forum or photo.net. The other RRS product that doesn't get any play here is their tripods which are slowly increasing in range. They are really good.

~Peter

TheArchitect
THREAD ­ STARTER
326 posts
Joined May 2009

Mar 25, 2011 10:29 |  #5

Well, I'm primarily looking here but I've done some googling and wandered over to FM.

I have nothing against the Q3T; it appears to be a fantastic product. I'm just thinking the BH-40 seems to have slightly better specs and you get the RRS clamp with it so you don't have to go through the hassle, and slightly additional expense, of ordering the RRS clamp for the Q3T. Given the high regard for RRS here it seems a bit weird that it's primarily for their plates and less so the heads.

At the moment I'm leaning towards getting the Q3T with screw clamp and just using RRS plates. I can't see how the RRS screw clamp is so superior to the Markins that it's worth it. If I was getting a lever clamp then it'd be a different story.

Sdiver2489
Goldmember
2,845 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Mar 25, 2011 10:39 |  #6

What makes the RRS lever clamp so special?

Please visit my Flickr (external link) and leave a comment!

Gear:
Canon 5D III, Canon 24-70L F4 IS, Canon 70-300L F4-F5.6 IS, Canon 100mm F2.8L IS Macro, Canon 35mm F2.0 IS, Canon 430EX II-RT, Canon 600EX II-RT

MGW172
503 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Mar 25, 2011 11:15 as a reply to  @ Sdiver2489's post |  #7

BH-40 owner here. If you dont care about the legs folding up completely on your Benro, then it's a great head. I was using it on a set of Velbon CF legs that were a compromise between portability and strength. It's a solid head, locks firmly with no droop and it easily handles my 100-400. I also like the independant drag knob with the numbered scale, I can just dial in the number I've used before with a particular lens and I'm ready to go.

On the negatives, I wish it was just a little smoother to move the ball when the tension is set. This is a minor quibble, it's smooth, but sometimes it feels a bit "sticky" if that makes sense. Other users have noted the same.

I dont have any experience with the Q3t, but I will in a couple of weeks. I have decided to get two tripod setups and just bought a GT1541t for travel. The BH-40 is on it now, but will be replaced when I buy the Q3t. Unlike you, I dont like the fact that the legs will not fold up all the way, in fact, one sticks out quite a bit. The BH-40 will go on either a Gitzo or maybe a RRS tripod if I decide they are really worth the premium price.

7D | 20D | Canon 10-22 | Canon 15-85 | Canon 70-300 L | Canon 100-400 L

TheArchitect
THREAD ­ STARTER
326 posts
Joined May 2009

Apr 04, 2011 20:43 as a reply to  @ MGW172's post |  #8

Well, I got a mint condition Q3T with screw clamp for $225 on Ebay. It arrived today along with a 50D RRS plate.

I do have what's probably a dumb question, though. The center screw was loose and I was able to remove the clamp pretty easily. I'll get some loctite to secure it but the screw itself doesn't have a hex socket to tighten it. Now that I've looked at a few other Q3T photos it appears the Markins posts don't have a way to mechanically tighten it. Am I correct on this? Are you supposed to apply loctite to the screw on both ends and then tighten it by hand?

EDIT: Search is your friend...got my answer regarding the screw.

tvphotog
Cream of the Crop
6,093 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2007

Apr 05, 2011 06:41 |  #9

Sdiver2489 wrote in post #12090294 (external link)
What makes the RRS lever clamp so special?

Great track record. Frankly, I think the Markins lever QR is excellent, and is adjustable to any plate system, including RRS.

The RRS lever release is not adjustable. It's also a bit bulkier than the Markins. Because screw releases can be used with any Arca-Swiss type of plate, they're pretty universal.

Jay
Ireland in Word and Image (external link) Jay Ben Images (external link)5D IV | 5DS/R | Powershot S100 | 24-105L | 100-400 IIL | 16-35 f/2.8 IIL | 24 T/S f /3.5L II | 17 T/S f/4L | 50mm f/1.2L | 35mm f/1.4L | 70-200 f/2.8L II | 580 EX II | 600 EX-RT | Feisol 3441T/Markins Q3T lever QR | Gitzo 3542L Markins Qi20 BV-22 | Gitzo 5561T RRS MH-02

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 05, 2011 06:54 |  #10

Markins with the RRS lever clamp is what you hear about. I haven't heard anyone replacing the Markins screw clamp with a RRS screw clamp so I'm not sure why you are motivated to do this.

Bohdan - I may be, and probably am, completely wrong.
Gear List

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographer (external link)
Flickr (external link)

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 05, 2011 06:55 |  #11

tvphotog wrote in post #12161243 (external link)
Great track record. Frankly, I think the Markins lever QR is excellent, and is adjustable to any plate system, including RRS.

The RRS lever release is not adjustable. It's also a bit bulkier than the Markins. Because screw releases can be used with any Arca-Swiss type of plate, they're pretty universal.

An adjustable lever clamp is great if all your plates are of the same manufacture. If you are mixing and matching plates, you would be forever adjusting the clamp to the plate which doesn't sound very desirable in use. Also anything adjustable tends to adjust on it's own, with time, without your involvement. An adjustable lever clamp is not a useful feature, to me.

Bohdan - I may be, and probably am, completely wrong.
Gear List

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographer (external link)
Flickr (external link)

Sdiver2489
Goldmember
2,845 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Apr 05, 2011 06:58 |  #12

tvphotog wrote in post #12161243 (external link)

Guess I still don't get it then. If the Markin's is adjustable, what makes the RRS worth it to actually replace the Markin's for all those people buying Q3t's? For the record, I have a photoclam pro gold II lever QR and it is also adjustable but out of the box fit my RRS plate.

Please visit my Flickr (external link) and leave a comment!

Gear:
Canon 5D III, Canon 24-70L F4 IS, Canon 70-300L F4-F5.6 IS, Canon 100mm F2.8L IS Macro, Canon 35mm F2.0 IS, Canon 430EX II-RT, Canon 600EX II-RT

minhi
604 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Apr 05, 2011 08:12 |  #13

Sdiver2489 wrote in post #12161291 (external link)
Guess I still don't get it then. If the Markin's is adjustable, what makes the RRS worth it to actually replace the Markin's for all those people buying Q3t's? For the record, I have a photoclam pro gold II lever QR and it is also adjustable but out of the box fit my RRS plate.

even though the markins is adjustable, a lot of us are stuck on the use plates + quick-releases from the same manufacturer. it's just easier for me so i don't need to keep track of which plates work with which clamps.

as for the BH-40, i noticed that it's in a wierd size zone, i noticed that the progression is BH-30 -> Q3T -> BH40 as the typical overlap and most people here seem to be in the Q3T middle area. At least for me, i didn't need as much carry power as the BH40, so the Q3 was a nice middle-point.

in search of my own choreo-animator (external link)

MCAsan
Goldmember
3,832 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Apr 05, 2011 11:35 as a reply to  @ minhi's post |  #14

for me it was not where is the love for th 40....it was the business case of the extra value (to me) being worth the cost of getting the 55. Both the wife and I are very happy with the 55s.

peter_n
Goldmember
2,451 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Apr 05, 2011 12:53 |  #15

Sdiver2489 wrote in post #12161291 (external link)
Guess I still don't get it then. If the Markin's is adjustable, what makes the RRS worth it to actually replace the Markin's for all those people buying Q3t's?

They have all drunk the RRS kool-aid. ;)

~Peter

sponsored links

4,708 views & 0 likes for this thread
RRS BH-40: Where's the love?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.