Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Architecture, Real-Estate & Buildings 
Thread started 15 Jul 2010 (Thursday) 14:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

A thread for real estate, architectural, and interior design photography

TGrundvig
Goldmember
2,876 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 04, 2011 08:56 |  #1741

mikekelley wrote in post #12152460 (external link)
Might not be the sharpening, but there's something odd going on with it, I do agree with TG...just might not be the sharpening.

I now think it is a flickr thing. I was NOT selecting the larger image, just viewing it as-is and the images look MUCH better larger than they do as flickr displays them.

It must be something to do with the compression or resizing. I know when I resize photos they always look better then when my clients try to resize them. Flicr is doing something to the images when it resizes them. IMO

1Ds Mk II, 1D Mk II, 50D, 40D, XT (for my son), 17-40L, 24-105L, Bigma 50-500 EX DG, Sigma 150 Macro EX DG, Tokina 12-24 AT-X, Nifty Fifty, Tamron 28-300 (for my son), 580ex II, 430ex II

sponsored links
TGrundvig
Goldmember
2,876 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 04, 2011 09:00 |  #1742

Jnader wrote in post #12152408 (external link)
dont worry about it, im learning from what you say, i mean im 22 and just got my first dslr a few monthes ago, i wouldnt be as far if it wasnt for everyones critiques... and the radius was at 1.... i fixed the sharpening and fixed the color cast.... i fixed everything you said, let me know how it turned out!

http://www.flickr.com …in/set-72157626424041414/ (external link)

I like the colors a lot better now. I do owe you an apology because I did not click on the images to view the larger sizes. They look much better larger than they do as Flickr displays them. I can really see what the bathroom tile and kitchen back splash looks like when I click on them.

1Ds Mk II, 1D Mk II, 50D, 40D, XT (for my son), 17-40L, 24-105L, Bigma 50-500 EX DG, Sigma 150 Macro EX DG, Tokina 12-24 AT-X, Nifty Fifty, Tamron 28-300 (for my son), 580ex II, 430ex II

keleko17
187 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Apr 04, 2011 13:52 as a reply to  @ TGrundvig's post |  #1743

I am trying to keep from breaking the first rule that I see commented on over and over. Watching my verticals. I am not the photographer for this work, they were actually taken by my mom, who is my "student." Needless to say, the teacher isn't doing so good.

I am trying to do some PP on them to help out. I know it is kind of like trying to make wine from grapes overnight. I am still trying to convince her to take a tripod and do a few steps in the beginning, and it will create a better photo later. She is just as stubborn as most agents not willing to pay for photography.

Through the past posts in the thread I have learned to use Filter - Distort - Len Correction. By learn, I mean I can find it on the menus :)

I am using Photoshop CS4.

Will someone care to share their workflow on how to correct the verticals? Do I start with "Remove Distortion" then rotate the angle to straighten the left or right, and then "Transform"?

Or should I transform, remove distortion, adjust angle?

Or is it just play with it until I get as close as possible and then go with it?

Any help is appreciated. Here are my before and afters...

Before:

IMAGE: http://rivercityphotobooth.smugmug.com/photos/1239791195_NgAhx-L.jpg

After:

IMAGE: http://rivercityphotobooth.smugmug.com/photos/1239791207_3Dabt-L.jpg

I compare my photography to my golf game. It only takes a couple of good shots to get me to try again.

Gear and Feedback

TGrundvig
Goldmember
2,876 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 04, 2011 15:07 |  #1744

keleko17 wrote in post #12156079 (external link)
I am trying to keep from breaking the first rule that I see commented on over and over. Watching my verticals. I am not the photographer for this work, they were actually taken by my mom, who is my "student." Needless to say, the teacher isn't doing so good.

I am trying to do some PP on them to help out. I know it is kind of like trying to make wine from grapes overnight. I am still trying to convince her to take a tripod and do a few steps in the beginning, and it will create a better photo later. She is just as stubborn as most agents not willing to pay for photography.

Through the past posts in the thread I have learned to use Filter - Distort - Len Correction. By learn, I mean I can find it on the menus :)

I am using Photoshop CS4.

Will someone care to share their workflow on how to correct the verticals? Do I start with "Remove Distortion" then rotate the angle to straighten the left or right, and then "Transform"?

Or should I transform, remove distortion, adjust angle?

Or is it just play with it until I get as close as possible and then go with it?

Any help is appreciated. Here are my before and afters...

Before:

QUOTED IMAGE

After:

QUOTED IMAGE

It looks much straighter. You need to have the light on, and I would remove that cord or clone it out. With the dark carpet, it really stands out.

scobols
Goldmember
1,338 posts
Gallery: 121 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 04, 2011 15:18 |  #1745

Here are a few I took for a portfolio:

IMAGE: http://www.scottbolster.com/potn/arch01.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.scottbolster.com/potn/arch02.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.scottbolster.com/potn/arch03.jpg

Scott

www.scottbolster.com (external link)
facebook (external link)

fnothaft
575 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Apr 04, 2011 15:32 |  #1746

scobols wrote in post #12156612 (external link)
Here are a few I took for a portfolio:

I would really try to keep the street out of it if possible. Also, on the first one, highlights look a bit blown.

Body: Canon EOS 5D Mark 2 • Lenses: Bower 14mm f/2.8 ED AS IF UMC, Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II, Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM, Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II, Lensbaby 2.0, Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, Canon EF 135 f/2L USM • Lighting: Canon Speedlite 580EX II • Support: Dolica CX620B104
Gear listWebsite (external link)Flickr (external link)

TheReal7
Goldmember
3,574 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Apr 04, 2011 23:50 |  #1747

Great to see so many new members joining in on this thread!

I just sent out a proposal to an agency this weekend that would like to use me exclusively. Right now I only shoot for them because I work a f/t job but I want to make the switch from working a f/t job, and doing re photography on the side, to just doing re photography. With my potential market here I could easily do that working for 5 or so agents and would likely get more then that. Since this agency wants me exclusively they are going to have to pay up. So I am REALLY hoping this goes through as I have been bugging my agent to get something together for a while. Since that wasn't happening I put my own proposal together. The agreement is they get 20/hrs a week of my photography, whether they use it or not, and anything over 20 hours is billed extra. That way, I get a guaranteed income and don't lose out if it gets very busy. I'd get on the payroll and company benefits as well. They'd also agree to a one year term. After that I can then decide if I want to negotiate a new agreement with them. Crossing my figures as I VERY much HATE my current f/t job LOL.

Here are some from today!

All are 5 exposure natural light HDRs (photomatix with details enhancer)

IMAGE: http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5223/5590771685_eb755f04a0_z.jpg

IMAGE: http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5109/5591362362_519afcf58f_z.jpg

IMAGE: http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5137/5591362234_b7eecd7fbe_z.jpg

IMAGE: http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5266/5591363720_8bf8d37f3c_z.jpg

IMAGE: http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5132/5591363606_28df3258e7_z.jpg

IMAGE: http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5307/5590773023_0e743dca87_z.jpg

IMAGE: http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5181/5591362806_4e2fd51e4a_z.jpg

Follow me on Facebook: Natural Light Magic (external link)
Listen to my music: Fata Morgana (external link)

joonrhee
Goldmember
3,870 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 05, 2011 00:52 |  #1748

Nice shots as always Scott, and good luck with the proposal.

a7RII • RX1RII • CV12 • L21 • B25 • B85
Full Gear List & Feedback
SmugMug (external link)

srika
Goldmember
3,900 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Aug 2004

Apr 05, 2011 01:36 |  #1749

^^ those are really nice!

this is a 16-shot panoramic of an elevator lobby.. the bottom portion is the reflection off the marble-top I had the camera sitting on - I thought it was a nice symmetry effect. gonna try it tomorrow with a fisheye lens and see if I can get a better look without having to do any stitching.

IMAGE: http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5187/5591585312_93712c626f_o.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/delobbo/5591585​312/  (external link)
elevator lobby panoramic (external link) by Rasidel Slika (external link), on Flickr

raѕιdel ѕlιĸa f l i c k r (external link) . p σ r t f σ l í σ (external link)

fungry
Goldmember
2,225 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Apr 05, 2011 07:51 |  #1750

Scott, best of luck on your endeavour! Spotless photos :)

Ed - Gear List - www.edkhou.com (external link)

apixelintime
Goldmember
2,123 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 05, 2011 09:18 |  #1751

Scott - good luck! Break on through to the other side!

Christopher Cross | Apixelintime.com | Nightographer.com (coming soon)
Altering reality one pixel at a time.
A clicky thing | Severial twisty things | A couple of flashy things | A bunch of other things
Posing Guide (external link) | Galleries (external link) | flickr (external link) | FaceBook (external link) | Blog (external link)

TGrundvig
Goldmember
2,876 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 05, 2011 09:24 |  #1752

Scott, okay I have to say, it blows me away how well you can pull the withe ceilings and cabinets out and still have good colors on the walls. Are you using a WB card? Even the lights themselves are white in most the shots, that is really impressive.

TheReal7
Goldmember
3,574 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Apr 05, 2011 10:45 |  #1753

Thank you all for the encouragements! I am going to the give the agency up to 2 weeks to decide. After that is s**t or get off the pot! lol

TGrundvig wrote in post #12161854 (external link)
Scott, okay I have to say, it blows me away how well you can pull the withe ceilings and cabinets out and still have good colors on the walls. Are you using a WB card? Even the lights themselves are white in most the shots, that is really impressive.

Thank you. The key here is WB control before and after merging photos in photomatix. The great thing about the colour saturation controls in Adobe Camera Raw (I use through Adobe Bridge) is you can control different colours individually. I pretty much always pull back on the blues and yellows/oranges. This helps control the ugly blue/orange colour that often comes from window light and interior lights. After saving TIFFs from PM I go back to bridge/raw and tweak some more. Often cutting more blue/orange. Then in photoshop, if needed, I will make some more tweaks. For instance in the bedroom shot the ceiling light did have some unwanted yellow/orange going on. What I did was use the lasso tool and selected the entire ceiling then made and hue/saturation adjustment layer and pulled back on the saturation until I was satisfied. I'll also do this if there are other colour casts in the image by making a selection using the "color range" selection tool then using another hue/saturation adjustment layer to pull back saturation. I usually only do this for white surfaces where there is unwanted colour. I also did this for the green bathroom shot. The cabinets in the foreground were lit up by window light from another room behind me and created a blue colour cast.

TheReal7
Goldmember
3,574 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Apr 05, 2011 13:50 |  #1754

srika wrote in post #12160458 (external link)
^^ those are really nice!

this is a 16-shot panoramic of an elevator lobby.. the bottom portion is the reflection off the marble-top I had the camera sitting on - I thought it was a nice symmetry effect. gonna try it tomorrow with a fisheye lens and see if I can get a better look without having to do any stitching.

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/delobbo/5591585​312/  (external link)
elevator lobby panoramic (external link) by Rasidel Slika (external link), on Flickr

I had to look at this for a while to "see" the counter. The oof edge of the counter plays a trick on the eyes. I like it!

mikekelley
THREAD ­ STARTER
"Meow! Bark! Honk! Hiss! Grrr! Tweet!"
7,317 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Apr 05, 2011 14:36 |  #1755

TheReal7 wrote in post #12159951 (external link)
Great to see so many new members joining in on this thread!

I just sent out a proposal to an agency this weekend that would like to use me exclusively. Right now I only shoot for them because I work a f/t job but I want to make the switch from working a f/t job, and doing re photography on the side, to just doing re photography. With my potential market here I could easily do that working for 5 or so agents and would likely get more then that. Since this agency wants me exclusively they are going to have to pay up. So I am REALLY hoping this goes through as I have been bugging my agent to get something together for a while. Since that wasn't happening I put my own proposal together. The agreement is they get 20/hrs a week of my photography, whether they use it or not, and anything over 20 hours is billed extra. That way, I get a guaranteed income and don't lose out if it gets very busy. I'd get on the payroll and company benefits as well. They'd also agree to a one year term. After that I can then decide if I want to negotiate a new agreement with them. Crossing my figures as I VERY much HATE my current f/t job LOL.

Here are some from today!

All are 5 exposure natural light HDRs (photomatix with details enhancer)

QUOTED IMAGE

QUOTED IMAGE

QUOTED IMAGE

QUOTED IMAGE

The processing is great on these, but these shots that I quoted all need some cropping. Just a product of 17mm and being so close to walls. There's a lot of wide angle distortion, and the shots would be better served by tighter comps with less ceiling and floor.

I love the natural light streaming in, however. But those spackled ceilings can be cropped out because they don't really add anything that says 'buy me' and they are just adding to the whole wide angle thing.

Los Angeles-Based Architectural, Interior, And Luxury Real Estate Photography (external link)
How To Photograph Real Estate and Architecture (external link)
My Fine Art Galleries (external link)
My articles at Fstoppers.com (external link)

sponsored links

2,214,686 views & 1,763 likes for this thread
A thread for real estate, architectural, and interior design photography
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Architecture, Real-Estate & Buildings 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.