Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Still Life, B/W & Experimental 
Thread started 04 Apr 2011 (Monday) 04:08
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Water Drops On A TV Screen: How I Took This Photo

Craig ­ Sillitoe
32 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Apr 04, 2011 04:08 |  #1

IMAGE: http://www.photogrill.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/2JMD8403.jpg
How I Took This Photo:
I was just sitting in front of the television one evening watching a movie with a glass of lemonade. When I got up to get the remote control I tripped and spilled lemonade on the TV screen. Then I saw it, the squared regimented lines of pixels on the screen were transformed into vibrant moving colours. I was transfixed with the imagery and within half an hour I had the TV lying on it’s back and was spraying water over it. I’d forgotten about the movie.

I took a whole series of pictures, I’d never seen this before and just kept experimenting, trying different images on the screen, different enlargement levels etc. It seemed to look best when the droplets would bead up, so I needed something on the screen to make it bead more. I had been taking some surfing photos the week before and I was using Rain-X (a product that I bought at an auto store). It makes the water bead up and slide off the glass (some photographers rub half a potato on their waterproof camera housing’s lens port, but I wasn’t going to rub a potato on my TV screen). So now I had Rain-X all over my TV screen.

The TV screen was propped up just slightly at the top, almost flat. I had a tripod leaning over it which was anchored so it wouldn’t fall on the TV. On the tripod was an Olympus OM-2n with a 100mm lens and a set of Macro Bellows. It was quite a sight, I had a spray bottle in one hand, and a cable release in the other, and the room lights were out to prevent stray light from dulling the colours. Using a bellows helped because the whole thing is on a rail, so you focus by rolling the whole set-up in and out. Getting the droplets sharp along with enough sharpness in the pixels meant a very small aperture. About f16 on the lens, it’s actually higher than that in reality because the bellows increases the f-stop. The fix to that was to use the camera’s internal metering which takes the belows extension into account. With digital, just shoot some test frames. Exposure was about 8 seconds at 100 ISO with the lens on f16.

This image was shot using an old low definition TV with large pixels. I wonder how it would look now with an HDTV? Hmmm…

Photographers Tell, How They Made Their Best Shots | Photogrill (external link)

sponsored links
EchoLocation
102 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Apr 05, 2011 00:51 |  #2

very cool, i love the description. make sure to clean the rain x off your screen really well, it can leave a hazy layer on top.... i've been taking pictures of my computer screen zoomed in tight, so i'm enjoying where you're coming from! super cool shots!

Canon 5D, Canon 550D, 24-105 F4L, Sigma 50mm 1.4, 550EX

Craig ­ Sillitoe
THREAD ­ STARTER
32 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Apr 05, 2011 04:00 |  #3

Thanks very much, I've been a photographer for over 20 years, I'm now really enjoying the chance to write about making photographs.

mckvakk
76 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 05, 2011 09:31 as a reply to  @ Craig Sillitoe's post |  #4

Very cool.

Was this an older style (CRT) tv, or a LCD/Plasma screen?

I'm a photography student, so please excuse me If my questions seem stupid or basic.
pandorica.no (external link)
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/kvakke (external link)
7D gripped, Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6, Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 85mm f1.8, 430 EX II

Craig ­ Sillitoe
THREAD ­ STARTER
32 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Apr 05, 2011 16:23 |  #5

Yes an old CRT screen, pixels were much larger. I'd be interested to see how it looks on HDTV but I'm not game ;)

Sven-EOS
481 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Apr 05, 2011 17:23 |  #6

Cool! Great image!

"Luck is probability taken personally"
Chip Denmanus

sponsored links

3,531 views & 0 likes for this thread
Water Drops On A TV Screen: How I Took This Photo
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Still Life, B/W & Experimental 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.