Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 22 Sep 2010 (Wednesday) 09:35
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

ThinkTankPhoto lens changer 3 review!

jacobsen1
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
9,629 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jan 24, 2011 07:46 |  #16

vii_haven wrote in post #11702552 (external link)
I didn't like that i had to go 'under' the flipped back flap to get my flash stored in the back pouch. I might buy a TT pouch to store the flash at the side/front.

yeah, that's my one gripe too. I wish the accessory section was a zippered compartment behind the lens tubes, or that there was another way to get to it at least once you flip the lid over. Maybe it could have been on the inside of the lid?

But be careful with the additional bag idea, there's no loops to make that easy on the LC3? The retros have great side loops though.

My Gear List

my sites:
benjacobsenphoto.com (external link) | newschoolofphotography​.com (external link)
GND buyers FAQ

FOR SALE: 5Dii RRS L-bracket, 430II, 12mm macro tube PM ME!

sponsored links
vii_haven
74 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jan 24, 2011 09:35 |  #17

jacobsen1 wrote in post #11703474 (external link)
yeah, that's my one gripe too. I wish the accessory section was a zippered compartment behind the lens tubes, or that there was another way to get to it at least once you flip the lid over. Maybe it could have been on the inside of the lid?

But be careful with the additional bag idea, there's no loops to make that easy on the LC3? The retros have great side loops though.

I'm trying to see if i can sew on an extra 'loop' across the rightmost tube so i can hang the extra pouch to hold the flash. or something slightly less destructive (eg. sew a piece of cloth going one round around the width of the strap so I can hang an extra TT pouch on it. Not sure how that'll work but i can see it in my head. Definitely not very aesthetically pleasing for now.

Anyone has any suggestions other than to buy yet another bag? haha.

jacobsen1
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
9,629 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jan 24, 2011 11:22 |  #18

vii_haven wrote in post #11703940 (external link)
Anyone has any suggestions other than to buy yet another bag? haha.

actually, I McGyvered a way on an old bag... I used the tiny loops at the top of the TT modular bags that are for a shoulder strap, but used some small line and a ball:

IMAGE: http://www.benjacobsenphoto.com/blog/wp-content/gallery/ttr10/bbj_5349-edit.jpg

that's NOT actually in use there, but the line and balls are still on the bag. I basically put a loop in the end of the line and went through both of the small loops on the bag. Then a loop in the end of the line would juuuuust fit over the blue ball to get it onto the strap. The black ball was only there so the line wouldn't fall off the TT bag when it wasn't in use (on my desk). I used this to hold my filters for landscaping for a while so I could take them off when I was doing normal events and I was using a bag w/o loops at the time.

My Gear List

my sites:
benjacobsenphoto.com (external link) | newschoolofphotography​.com (external link)
GND buyers FAQ

cuongduong
197 posts
Joined May 2008

Jan 24, 2011 11:42 |  #19

vii_haven wrote in post #11702552 (external link)
The bag has 3 lens tubes. I had the 16-35 2.8L II, 70-200 2.8L II in two tubes. One was left empty so i can 'drop' in a lens, and pick up another quickly with the same hand.

This is exactly how I have mine configured too.

toffiloff
211 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 06, 2011 15:16 |  #20

Thanks for the review Ben! I think you won me over on this one, looks just like what I was looking for.

How is it to wear with 3 short lenses though? It seems like it's built for a bit longer lenses (my longest is a 135L).

1D3 / 5D2-BG / 350D * 16-35 II f/2.8L * 24-70 f/2.8L * 70-200 f/2.8L * 135 f/2.0L * Σ85 f/1.4 * Σ50 f/1.4 * Σ15 f/2.8 FE * 580-II EX -- flickr (external link) -- twitter (external link)

SillyGuy
929 posts
Joined Apr 2008

May 10, 2011 03:53 |  #21

how does it feel when you hae the 70-200 w/a hood set on it the correct way? does the lens stick out a lot?

My Website (external link) | My Blog (external link)

Savas ­ K
Goldmember
1,425 posts
Joined May 2007

May 10, 2011 06:59 |  #22

toffiloff wrote in post #12171219 (external link)
Thanks for the review Ben! I think you won me over on this one, looks just like what I was looking for.

How is it to wear with 3 short lenses though? It seems like it's built for a bit longer lenses (my longest is a 135L).

You can stuff some socks underneath your short lenses to take up space. Or, put something photographically relevant under the short lens separated by a pad.

jacobsen1
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
9,629 posts
Joined Jan 2006

May 10, 2011 09:41 |  #23

SillyGuy wrote in post #12381091 (external link)
how does it feel when you hae the 70-200 w/a hood set on it the correct way? does the lens stick out a lot?

I don't have one, but I'd imagine there's enough room it just fits nicely. That's what this bag was designed for.

Savas K wrote in post #12381532 (external link)
Or, put something photographically relevant under the short lens separated by a pad.

TCs and or macro tubes work well.

My Gear List

my sites:
GND buyers FAQ

MR ­ do ­ little
Goldmember
2,399 posts
Joined Oct 2008

May 11, 2011 01:22 |  #24
bannedPermanent ban

Thanx for this review, it looks like a great solution for me. I don't like the idea with belt's with pouches or fanny packs etc..

Question though, how flat/compressed can you get the bag when empty ?

Plan is to pack this in a bigger bag.

Thanx!

Regards
Paul L.

vii_haven
74 posts
Joined Aug 2008

May 11, 2011 02:38 |  #25

The 70-200 will drop in nicely with the hood extended. I do that.

I always pack this bag into my Airport Security with the standard dividers.

Works great with a BR strap which i used to use. Now i use a BR DOUBLE strap, and i still haven't figured out how to maneuver this bag with a double strap.

0.0f
179 posts
Joined Apr 2011

May 11, 2011 06:34 |  #26

great review thank you. do you think the bag could take a 7d gripped?

EOS 5D MK3 - 24-70 MK2

vii_haven
74 posts
Joined Aug 2008

May 11, 2011 09:17 |  #27

0.0f wrote in post #12388337 (external link)

definitely not. for the same reason it won't take a 5D Mark II gripped. It won't take it ungripped as well. BUT, if ungripped, and detached from a lens, you will be able to slot it into one of the lens tubes.

the bag was designed for lenses only, not for bodies so its by no fault of thinktank that it doesn't fit bodies.

jacobsen1
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
9,629 posts
Joined Jan 2006

May 11, 2011 09:21 |  #28

MR do little wrote in post #12387700 (external link)
Question though, how flat/compressed can you get the bag when empty ?

very flat. It's not really padded as it's meant as a lens holster (or alternative to the waist/belt setups we both dislike) so the only issue is the bottom of each tube has some padding to it, but it can be folder up to compress it. I'd say easily under 2", but probably 1"?

0.0f wrote in post #12388337 (external link)

no, but w/o the grip yes. It's no thicker than the hood of a 24-70 or 70-200 basically. I'm cheating to put a non gripped body in there as it is (and you need a longish lens to make sure it stays, or you have to be VERY careful when you open the flap).

My Gear List

my sites:
GND buyers FAQ

0.0f
179 posts
Joined Apr 2011

May 11, 2011 09:28 |  #29

thanks for the reply guys. im looking for a bag which would take a couple of lenses and the camera but would prefer a compact messenger type of bag. will look at the crumpler prime mover that seems pretty neat and it takes a 7d gripped with a 70-200 f2.8

EOS 5D MK3 - 24-70 MK2

jacobsen1
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
9,629 posts
Joined Jan 2006

May 11, 2011 12:34 |  #30

look at think tank's retrospective bags as well.

My Gear List

my sites:
GND buyers FAQ

sponsored links

15,970 views & 0 likes for this thread
ThinkTankPhoto lens changer 3 review!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.