Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 07 Apr 2011 (Thursday) 14:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

BR FastenR vs RC2?

dhilo2
189 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Apr 07, 2011 14:40 |  #1

I received a BR RC-5 strap from another member on the forum and was wondering if there were any disadvantages to just using my RC2 QR plate as the attachment point to the strap.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://img.photobucket​.com …/flip4life05/_M​G_0127.jpg (external link)

compared next to each other, it appears that the same amount of thread goes into the camera's tripod mount (roughly 3 threads I believe)

http://img.photobucket​.com …/flip4life05/_M​G_0126.jpg (external link)

my R-Strap connected the RC2

http://img.photobucket​.com …/flip4life05/_M​G_0128.jpg (external link)

The product I'm looking to substitute for:
http://www.blackrapid.​com/product/hardware/f​r-t1/ (external link)

What are you guy's opinions on this? There were some other threads but from what I saw they only supported getting the FastenR-T1 til the fitment issue was realized.

EOS 5Dc+BG-E4, 35L, 135 L, 24-70L f2.8, 70-200L f2.8 IS

sponsored links
alpharon
463 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Apr 07, 2011 16:00 |  #2

I use my RS-5 now with my RC2 and have been doing so since the start of the year. It was just getting too annoying to remove my FastenR-3 from the bottom of my camera and replace it with the RC2 whenever I had to use the tripod. Also, the RC2 allows for a flatter surface area for the camera to rest on whenever I have to put it down.

I haven't had any problems using this combination. I thought about getting the FastenR-T1, but I really don't see the need for it now.

R O N P A R E J A (external link) | Twitter (external link)

dhilo2
THREAD ­ STARTER
189 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Apr 07, 2011 16:06 |  #3

I was contemplating the FR-T1 however for $18 I don't see how it would justify.

Some say that the D-ring is inferior but I dont see the ones I have breaking anytime soon. I have a hard enough time flipping it from side to side.

Csae
Goldmember
3,350 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Apr 07, 2011 16:16 |  #4

Wouldn't that slowly unwind the tripod....

I mean, thats what the part is for, to help unscrew/screw the tripod.

Feel free to call me Case.
CasePhoto.ca (external link) - FanPage (external link)
-Montreal based Photography.

dhilo2
THREAD ­ STARTER
189 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Apr 07, 2011 16:21 |  #5

Csae wrote in post #12178420 (external link)

I'm a bit confused by this post. How would using the QR unwind the tripod?

nobodyspecial
180 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 07, 2011 23:42 |  #6

Csae wrote in post #12178420 (external link)

Do you mean, slowly unwind the plate from the camera?

Raylon
Goldmember
1,078 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Apr 08, 2011 00:18 |  #7

dhilo2 wrote in post #12178354 (external link)
I was contemplating the FR-T1 however for $18 I don't see how it would justify.

Some say that the D-ring is inferior but I dont see the ones I have breaking anytime soon. I have a hard enough time flipping it from side to side.

Do a search on this forum. They have broken before. That piece of metal doesn't all the way through it is just a small tab going into the metal. For all that is holy don't use it, spend a measly $20 and get the FR-T1.

Here is one on a different forum:
http://www.disboards.c​om/showthread.php?t=23​97556 (external link)

7D l Canon 70-200 f/4L IS l Canon 85mm f/1.8 l ∑ 17-50 f/2.8 l Canon 50mm f/1.8 II l S95
Full Gear List and Marketplace Feedback
My SmugMug (external link)

Jumpcut
182 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Apr 08, 2011 02:04 |  #8

Guys, using the standard Manfrotto RC2 plate is a recipe for disaster. The D-ring is not joined together inside the screw head. It will slowely deform over time and will quite possibly fail. If you are going to use a Black Rapid strap with an RC2 plate you need to buy the BR accessory to retrofit to the plate. It has a one piece d-ring which wont break.

Darren

5D III, 7D, 40D, EF-S 18-55 IS, EF-S 55-250 IS, EF 50 II, Tokina 11-16 f2.8, EF-S 17-55 f2.8 IS, EF 24-70 F2.8L II, EF 70-200L f2.8 IS, EF 24-105L f4 IS, 580EXII, Elinchrom Skyports, 2xVivitar 285HV Flashes

Staszek
Goldmember
3,606 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Apr 08, 2011 03:12 |  #9

Do yourself a favor and spend the money on the T1. The Manfrotto ring is not designed to hold the weight of a camera. I keep my T1 mounted all the time. I like it better than the fastenR.

SOSKIphoto (external link) | Blog (external link) | Facebook (external link)| Instagram (external link)
Shooting with big noisy cameras and a bag of primes.

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Apr 08, 2011 07:08 |  #10

I will further support the previous two posts.

The "D" ring used to fasten the Manfrotto RC2 quick release base to a camera or lens is not sturdy enough to use as a support point for a neck strap from which the whole camera/lens rig is slung. It may work for a while, but the "D" ring will eventually bend enough to fall out of the ring that supports it. This is because the ends of what make up the "D" ring just stick about 1/16" into the holes in the bolt head.

Get the FastenR-T1 to replace the bolt in Manfrotto's RC2 QR plate and you'll have the best of both worlds. You'll just have to check from time to time to make sure that the FastenR-T1 stays tight and does not loosen up enough to let the QR plate get loose.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

alpharon
463 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Apr 08, 2011 09:08 |  #11

Advice noted. I'm getting the FastenR-T1.

R O N P A R E J A (external link) | Twitter (external link)

Staszek
Goldmember
3,606 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Apr 08, 2011 12:24 |  #12

SkipD wrote in post #12182285 (external link)
I will further support the previous two posts.

The "D" ring used to fasten the Manfrotto RC2 quick release base to a camera or lens is not sturdy enough to use as a support point for a neck strap from which the whole camera/lens rig is slung. It may work for a while, but the "D" ring will eventually bend enough to fall out of the ring that supports it. This is because the ends of what make up the "D" ring just stick about 1/16" into the holes in the bolt head.

Get the FastenR-T1 to replace the bolt in Manfrotto's RC2 QR plate and you'll have the best of both worlds. You'll just have to check from time to time to make sure that the FastenR-T1 stays tight and does not loosen up enough to let the QR plate get loose.

I've had my T1 on my 7D for a month now with daily use. Never checked to make sure it was tight because my FastenR never came loose. Just checked... its still tight ;)

SOSKIphoto (external link) | Blog (external link) | Facebook (external link)| Instagram (external link)

dhilo2
THREAD ­ STARTER
189 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Apr 08, 2011 12:56 |  #13

Your advice has been taken into account. Did BR ever fix the issue about the T1 not letting the QR plate completely lock into the head?

Staszek
Goldmember
3,606 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Apr 08, 2011 14:52 |  #14

dhilo2 wrote in post #12183970 (external link)
Your advice has been taken into account. Did BR ever fix the issue about the T1 not letting the QR plate completely lock into the head?

Mine fits perfectly. You have to make sure you seat the T1 and the washer correctly before tightening it down.

PLLphotography
with the TF
5,203 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Apr 2009

Apr 08, 2011 15:01 |  #15

so the D-ring on the black rapids fastener is one welded piece that meet in the center of the fastener? is this true also for sun-sniper products?

Phillip - phillipwardphotography​.com (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Donate to POTN

sponsored links

3,447 views & 0 likes for this thread
BR FastenR vs RC2?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.