Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 09 Apr 2011 (Saturday) 15:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Tips for avoiding over-exposed skies & lens

Lady ­ Tori
335 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Apr 09, 2011 15:15 |  #1

Not sure where to put this, but as the title suggests, does anyone have any tips for avoiding skies that are over exposed and are pure white as a result? Like sometimes when I take a picture of a landscape the sky is often way over exposed but the rest of the picture if normal.

If you can help me with settings that I'd need to use on the camera (I'll be using a Canon 7D), I'd appreciate it.

Also, what would be a good landscape lens?

sponsored links
plasticmotif
Goldmember
3,174 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Apr 09, 2011 15:24 |  #2

Graduated neutral density filters, or HDR. Read up on both uses. That's what your looking for.

The best crop landscape lens, IMO is the Tokina 11-16. Great, great lens.

Mac P.
My Zenfolio (external link) My Photo Blog (external link) My Equipment
https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=14172975#po​st14172975

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Apr 09, 2011 15:28 |  #3

Lady Tori wrote in post #12190293 (external link)
Not sure where to put this, but as the title suggests, does anyone have any tips for avoiding skies that are over exposed and are pure white as a result? Like sometimes when I take a picture of a landscape the sky is often way over exposed but the rest of the picture if normal.

yes, shoot in RAW and meter for the sky. The landscape will be underexposed but you can go back and increase the exposure and "lighten" the landscape with photoshop or a similar image editing program

Lady ­ Tori
THREAD ­ STARTER
335 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Apr 09, 2011 15:30 |  #4

watt100 wrote in post #12190343 (external link)
yes, shoot in RAW and meter for the sky. The landscape will be underexposed but you can go back and increase the exposure and "lighten" the landscape with photoshop or a similar image editing program

Hey, could you elaborate on "meter for the sky"?

And thanks, Plastic.

Bendel
323 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 09, 2011 15:32 |  #5

Lady Tori wrote in post #12190350 (external link)

And thanks, Plastic.

Point your camera at the sky. Set your exposure. Recompose. Shoot.

Brandon
Canon 5D, 24-105 F4L, 70-200 F4L, 85 F1.8, 430EX II

GeeMack
778 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 09, 2011 15:36 |  #6

I'm currently reading Bryan Peterson's book and that seems to be a very common procedure for him.

7D, 50 f1.8, 17-55 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8 II, 100-400 f4.5-5.6L, 2x TC III, 580EX II, 430EX, 568EX II, 622C
glmphotos.zenfolio.com (external link)

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Apr 09, 2011 15:37 |  #7

Lady Tori wrote in post #12190350 (external link)

And thanks, Plastic.

simply point your camera at the sky (using center weighted average exposure metering) and use that setting (aperture, shutter speed) for the pic. Then with the RAW file increase the exposure in the foreground.

I believe I did that with this pic as an example,
(XSi (450D) with Tamron 17-50 2.8 lens )

IMAGE: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4032/4463895417_ee492b72e9_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/cyclo90/4463895​417/  (external link)

Lady ­ Tori
THREAD ­ STARTER
335 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Apr 09, 2011 15:44 as a reply to  @ watt100's post |  #8

Wow it's that easy?! Sounds like no problem at all. Thanks for your help guys. :o

fredrikb81
109 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 09, 2011 15:51 as a reply to  @ Lady Tori's post |  #9

Your camera can not capture a dynamic range as wide as the difference between a bright sky and the foreground. That leaves your with three options (all which takes some extra effort, the camera cannot get it right straight away):

1. Expose for the sky, the foreground will be underexposed and you will have to bring that back up in post processing (e.g. photoshop)

2. Use a graduated ND filter (or similar) in front of your lens, reducing the brightness of the sky before the light hits the sensor

3. Take multiple exposures (i.e. expose for foreground, expose for the sky, and expose somewhere in between). You can them add them back together to an HDR image in photoshop or similar

sponsored links

3,683 views & 0 likes for this thread
Tips for avoiding over-exposed skies & lens
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.