Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 08 Sep 2006 (Friday) 20:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

The 43rd TPBM "Waiting (impatiently) for Noir" Random Chat

this thread is locked
BearLeeAlive
All butt cheeks and string.
30,198 posts
Joined May 2005

Apr 10, 2011 08:29 |  #9616

We still have huge piles of snow in our yard, though they are melting quickly, so no yard work here for another few weeks. I to am working, both in the office and on site for a while today. I do hope to work some more on my canoe, I was too bushed yesterday after working on site for most of it. A walk with the pooch sounds like a good idea too.

-JIM-

sponsored links
Guineh
I've been wisdom free for about 10 years, now.
9,030 posts
Joined May 2006

Apr 10, 2011 08:33 as a reply to  @ post 12193448 |  #9617

CrazieCricket wrote in post #12170693 (external link)
Passed my drug/alcohol test this morning. Took myself out for lunch at the Olive Garden. Now I have a headache (from all the stress of moving etc...). I'm having a glass of wine and then a nap. Hope the darn headache is gone then as I have tons to do!!!:confused:

ooh... What kind of drugs and alcohol were they testing you on. I'm guessing you aced the boxed wine section with flying colors. And I see you studied up on your opiates, amphetamines and barbiturates. Good for you. And lets us not forget your fine wines and spirits as well.

I'm proud of you.

Oh... did you mean drug screening? I'm glad you weren't on any substances! WTG! :D

I do like this too, looks very much like a painting. Nice mood to it.

Now lets talk about the ME

.... Lots of photos to proc... Waaaay behind... and LOVING the new lens. Though its missing the collar.

Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler - Albert Einstein
7D, 40D, Sigma 10-20 EX HSM, Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 SP XR Di II, EF 50 F1.8, EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS, Sigma 1.4x TC, Kenko Tubes, Sigma EF-500 DG ST Flash
Flickr (external link) - Blog (external link)

Timphoto
Creme de la Curmudgeon
8,762 posts
Gallery: 59 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Apr 2008

Apr 10, 2011 08:35 |  #9618

I need to get away from this computer and get out with the camera. If I get done early enough, I'm going to head over the ridge to a nearby park for a couple of hours later today.

Tim

neil_r
Cream of the Proverbial Crop
Landscape and Cityscape Photographer 2006
18,065 posts
Joined Jan 2003

Apr 10, 2011 08:36 |  #9619

Trivia information for anyone visiting London. If you visit Buckingham Palace, The Tower of London, St James's Palace or Windsor Castle the chances are that you will not see the Scarlet coated bearskin wearing guards that you expect to see. The 7 regiments that make up the Household (or Guards) Division are spending more and more time deployed on operations in Afghanistan and various other hot spots. However there will be loads of them around for the up and coming "Royal Wedding" (Have you had your invite yet Tom, I put in a good word for you :-) )

There are four ways to distinguish which of the 7 regiments each guardsman belongs to. The first and most obvious is the regimental badge, when in their home service clothing this is only shown on their collars so is not easy to see, the other ways are The colour of the plume in their bearskin, the side of the bearskin that the plume is in and the number and arrangement of the buttons on their tunic. The two cavalry regiments can be distinguished by the colour of the plumes from their helmets and the colour of their tunics (the farriers screw this up as they have black plumes)

Anyway this is the new graphic from the top of the Household Devision newsletter and it is a great crib sheet to help you spot who is who.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

Neil - © NHR Photography
Commercial Site (external link) - Video Site (external link) - Blog - (external link)Gear List There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. ~ Ansel Adams

Timphoto
Creme de la Curmudgeon
8,762 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Apr 10, 2011 08:37 |  #9620

Watching CBS Sunday Morning - they're doing pieces on humans and animal interactions today.

Tim

Timphoto
Creme de la Curmudgeon
8,762 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Apr 10, 2011 08:40 |  #9621

Hey Neil, I guess we can tell from your avatar which regiment was yours?

Tim

neil_r
18,065 posts
Joined Jan 2003

Apr 10, 2011 08:43 |  #9622

10 out of 10 Tim :-)

Neil - © NHR Photography
Commercial Site (external link) - Video Site (external link) - Blog - (external link)Gear List There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. ~ Ansel Adams

Timphoto
Creme de la Curmudgeon
8,762 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Apr 10, 2011 08:48 |  #9623

So what is the history of your regiment?

Tim

neil_r
18,065 posts
Joined Jan 2003

Apr 10, 2011 09:01 |  #9624

Tim, we are youngest regiment in the Household Division THIS (external link)link will give you a goof overview. The Video is worth watching.

http://www.army.mod.uk​/infantry/regiments/34​81.aspx (external link)

Neil - © NHR Photography

3Turner
Rick Rolled Fanboy
26,511 posts
Joined May 2005

Apr 10, 2011 09:31 |  #9625

Morning folks...think it's going to be a long lazy day here.

short5 wrote in post #12192525 (external link)
It was great racing weather, terrible sundress weather. I wore jeans. Cloudy but bright near 60 degrees. The light made for great pictures, TERRIBLE white skies though. I am afraid I blew a few bad.

Good thing you wore jeans....I don't think you would look good in a sundress. :lol:

Woolburr wrote in post #12192575 (external link)
These were staged and purpose lit for this event. I was a little disappointed with the people that put it on....they spent more time getting shots for themselves than they did taking care of the paying customers.

Ah okay. Bummer about the coordinators putting in more time to get the shots they wanted.

neil_r wrote in post #12193567 (external link)
Tim, we are youngest regiment in the Household Division THIS (external link)link will give you a goof overview. The Video is worth watching.

http://www.army.mod.uk​/infantry/regiments/34​81.aspx (external link)

Interesting video you linked Neil. I didn't see the emblem on the bearskin in the video when the regiment was on parade in front of the queen. Is it not worn at all times when with the bearskin?

Robert [¯Ô¯] | Gear | Gallery (external link)

neil_r
18,065 posts
Joined Jan 2003

Apr 10, 2011 09:40 |  #9626

3Turner wrote in post #12193677 (external link)
Interesting video you linked Neil. I didn't see the emblem on the bearskin in the video when the regiment was on parade in front of the queen. Is it not worn at all times when with the bearskin?

There is always a plume worn on the left hand side of the bearskin, but the boys try and burry it into the fur.

There are some differences in the officers uniform depending on weather the monarch is present.

When the Queen is not there Officers wear a plain scarlet silk belt but when she is they wear a scarlet and gold one. Like THIS (external link) one that the Colonel of the regiment is wearing.

http://img.metro.co.uk …ncecharles60R_4​50x514.jpg (external link)

Neil - © NHR Photography

neil_r
18,065 posts
Joined Jan 2003

Apr 10, 2011 09:49 |  #9627

PETA are trying to get the Household Division to stop wearing Bearskin Caps. This is strange as mine was over 50 years old. Given that the size of the regiments is less than a quarter of what it used to be it is unlikely that they will ever need to make any more caps.

HERE (external link) are some links to the protest. very mildly NSFW

Neil - © NHR Photography

aussieskier
just that stupid?
10,608 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Apr 10, 2011 09:54 |  #9628

T.D. wrote in post #12192453 (external link)
Hey Riley! How are you doing?

It is going well. Lots of changes in a really short period of time but I am learning a lot that will be useful in my future plans.

Riley
Gear list
"Keepin' it rural"
In yeast we trust...

Skrim17
The only TPBMer without a title. Enjoying my anonymity.
40,070 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Apr 10, 2011 09:57 |  #9629

they can import them from NJ Neil, it is legal to hunt bears here as they are all too common in backyards and trashcans.

Crissa
PLEASE HELP ME FIND MY PHOTOS!! (external link)

3Turner
Rick Rolled Fanboy
26,511 posts
Joined May 2005

Apr 10, 2011 09:59 as a reply to  @ aussieskier's post |  #9630

neil_r wrote in post #12193724 (external link)
There is always a plume worn on the left hand side of the bearskin, but the boys try and burry it into the fur.

There are some differences in the officers uniform depending on weather the monarch is present.

When the Queen is not there Officers wear a plain scarlet silk belt but when she is they wear a scarlet and gold one. Like THIS (external link) one that the Colonel of the regiment is wearing.

http://img.metro.co.uk …ncecharles60R_4​50x514.jpg (external link)

Oh okay. The plume must have been buried in there during that parade.

Always like to read about and see photos of differing uniforms from militaries from around the world....intresting.

neil_r wrote in post #12193769 (external link)
PETA are trying to get the Household Division to stop wearing Bearskin Caps. This is strange as mine was over 50 years old. Given that the size of the regiments is less than a quarter of what it used to be it is unlikely that they will ever need to make any more caps.

HERE (external link) are some links to the protest. very mildly NSFW

:rolleyes: Maybe someone should have told them that most of the caps are that old. :lol:

Robert [¯Ô¯] | Gear | Gallery (external link)

sponsored links

320,222 views & 0 likes for this thread
The 43rd TPBM "Waiting (impatiently) for Noir" Random Chat
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.