Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 10 Apr 2011 (Sunday) 10:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

First time for everything...

kwando
Goldmember
1,345 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Apr 10, 2011 10:21 |  #1

I guess there is a first time for everything, this post is more of a 1. Rant 2. Show that you should never use paypal gift

Saw a camera that I wanted. Buyer is on POTN (Not going to name, and fully aware of the negative feedback views on here), he has over 950 posts, and is fairly active (except for lately). Has a FB page for his business, a smugmug pro account, and is paypal verified.

Communicated via PM, and agreed on a price, sent funds via regular paypal (goods) on April 1st. Guess the joke is ok me. Seller claims that package was shipped out and tracking number provided (USPS, which sucks!)

This entire week, I'm checking for status and nothing. Emailed seller and he replies on Friday that the camera was returned back to sender because the shipped address label partially fell off. OK, i understand, that can really happen.

He claims he was going to resend it out Friday after work, Friday evening no update, so I email him Friday. Sat morning he said he had to stay late at work, again understandable, and will ship fedex Saturday.

Emailed twice 3 times yesterday, only replied to my first email about using fedex instead of USPS, and no other replies since asking for a tracking number.

SOOOOO.... Should I wait AGAIN to see what his reply is? I know accidents happen, maybe something happened and he honestly cannot reply. Car accident, PC/Laptop died, had a baby, etc....

OR.... file a dispute with paypal. I am more leaning towards this as it seems like he's leading me on this entire deal, and he might do the same. I have all these conversations documented, if that matters on a dispute.

For those that have filed a dispute with paypal, is the process a PITA or simple?

Just disappointed that someone has a verified paypal, over 950 post count on here, and a nice looking webpage and a smugmug pro account will go this low to rip someone off.

Thanks for listening.

~Simon~
My Gear | My Feedback | Smugmug (external link)
https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1213134

sponsored links
bsp
Goldmember
1,001 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 10, 2011 10:38 |  #2

If the guy seemed legit enough to you in the beginning then maybe it is just bad timing / luck? I bought a camera body off a guy here once and he and his family got sick, I could not get any responses. Two days later he responded with his apologies and the camera was here in a few days.

Wait a few more and see where it goes...

Brian
Gear & Feedback

Cam101
611 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Apr 10, 2011 10:39 |  #3

Based on the information you provided... I think this is more a case of frustration rather than a case of being scammed.

The seller is obviously dragging his feet... and make no mistake about it... I would be pissed. It would seem that since he has your money.. he is not going to go out of his way to get the package to you in a timely manner. Not cool at all.

However, i'd wait a little while longer before filing a dispute.

I'd leave some accurate feedback as well (after you finally get the camera).

Canon 5D MkIV | 600EX-RT
Canon Lenses: 16-35 f/4L | 70-200mm f/2.8L II IS | 100-400mm f/4-5.6L IS II | 100mm f/2.8L Macro | MP-E 65mm Macro
Gitzo GT3541LS w/ RRS BH55

duane0524
Goldmember
4,840 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Apr 10, 2011 10:41 |  #4

Sounds like you need to give the seller the benefit of the doubt, if he was not responding I would be nervous.

Did you use a credit card for the paypal?

Canon 50D | Canon 17-55 | Sigma 30 1.4 | Canon 70-200 2.8 IS II| Canon 85 1.8 | 430EXII| 580EX ll | ST-E2 | Canon TC 1.4x II | Benro Travel Angel C1682TB0

crn3371
Cream of the Crop
7,198 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Apr 10, 2011 11:00 |  #5

I understand your frustration, but as others have said, I'd give the seller a couple more days. The fact that there is still some communication is a good sign. The fact that this is the weekend is reason to give seller another couple of days.

kwando
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,345 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Apr 10, 2011 11:14 |  #6

duane0524 wrote in post #12194014 (external link)
Sounds like you need to give the seller the benefit of the doubt, if he was not responding I would be nervous.

Did you use a credit card for the paypal?

for paypal I used instant transfer (direct from a bank account, that i move money too when i buy something)

~Simon~

felixapproach
204 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Apr 10, 2011 11:14 |  #7

kwando wrote in post #12193916 (external link)
For those that have filed a dispute with paypal, is the process a PITA or simple?

I have only had to file a dispute with Paypal once, but that was enough. IMHO they side with the seller and treat the buyer poorly. They do not take emails as evidence and have time limits for claims to be made. If you paid using your credit card, then file a claim directly with the credit card company.

That being said, I agree with the others here that you may be premature in believing that you have been scammed.

40d w/ grip, 75-300 f4-5.6, 85mm f1.8, 50mm f1.8, 18-55 is, Bowers SFD728c, 160ws Flashpoint strobe

kwando
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,345 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Apr 10, 2011 11:17 |  #8

crn3371 wrote in post #12194108 (external link)
I understand your frustration, but as others have said, I'd give the seller a couple more days. The fact that there is still some communication is a good sign. The fact that this is the weekend is reason to give seller another couple of days.

What gets me is, he has an iPhone hes trying with (signature), so i know he's getting these emails. I am a type of person that screens emails, and if its important i answer them. Especially if someone is emailing me several times. If you weren't able to get the camera shipped out, be honest.

What happens to his paypal if i file a dispute? Will he loose his verified status? I guess that is the reason I don't want to file a disputed, or if his account got hacked.

His FB page also has his phone #, I am going to try to call him today.

~Simon~

duane0524
Goldmember
4,840 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Apr 10, 2011 11:54 |  #9

kwando wrote in post #12194172 (external link)
for paypal I used instant transfer (direct from a bank account, that i move money too when i buy something)

You may want to consider using a credit card going forward. Even if paypal declines your claim, your credit card may back you. Paypal declined the fact that the guy sold me a pirate copy of some software, but VISA refunded the amount.

Hope it works out and maybe the guy just had a slammed weekend.

Canon 50D | Canon 17-55 | Sigma 30 1.4 | Canon 70-200 2.8 IS II| Canon 85 1.8 | 430EXII| 580EX ll | ST-E2 | Canon TC 1.4x II | Benro Travel Angel C1682TB0

snyderman
Cream of the Crop
7,083 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Apr 10, 2011 12:08 |  #10

all the best for a good ending to your transaction. I like to think everyone is a 'stand up guy' but you never know. On the flipside, a member here with ONE post bought my 7D without knowing anything about me, this place or online buying of 2nd hand gear. Total leap of faith for him and glad he was treated fairly and with respect.

Many of us buy and sell here. We all hope we get a stand up person with which to deal.

Again, let's hope your camera arrives safe and sound and soon.

dave

Canon 5D2 > 35L-85L-135L

crn3371
Cream of the Crop
7,198 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Apr 10, 2011 12:21 |  #11

I also remember a similar thread a while back where it turns out the seller had death in the family to contend with and this was we he wasn't responding to the buyer in a timely fashion. Leave an email, call if you must, but don't overdo it. If you don't hear anything by Monday notify the seller that you are going to file a dispute with Paypal. If you don't hear back by Tuesday, file the dispute.

dino8031
845 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Apr 10, 2011 12:22 as a reply to  @ snyderman's post |  #12

File a claim.

What the seller is doing is not OK, regardless of his personal circumstances.

That will at least get his attention.

You've been considerably more patient than I would have been.

Given the seller's profile he's probably not trying to scam you, but he needs to get moving on this, or at the very least learn the value of communication.

Good luck.

10megapixel
"I'm a little slow"
3,872 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Apr 10, 2011 12:24 as a reply to  @ snyderman's post |  #13

Always, always, always have the seller send you a PayPal money request for the item and have them include a description of what they are selling in the comments section of the request. Have them specify when/how it will be shipped as well ;).

NEVER PAY BY GIFT unless you are absolutely 100% ok with the possibility that your item nay never be shipped and their will be no way to recover your cash.

Gear List & Feedback

D ­ Thompson
Goldmember
3,855 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Apr 10, 2011 12:56 |  #14

Just a question - can you file a dispute on a gift payment?

Dennis
Canon 5D 20D
I have not yet begun to procrastinate!

kwando
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,345 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Apr 10, 2011 13:10 |  #15

D Thompson wrote in post #12194672 (external link)
Just a question - can you file a dispute on a gift payment?

Nope that's why you don't use paypal gift unless you know it's a gift for sure.

So the seller did reply back today using another email address saying that he updated paypal with a tracking #. Maybe I'm too dumb but I can't find any info on tracking details. PLUS I noticed that his paypal name is totally different from his name. Weird!

He said he never got the emails or they got lost.

Lets hope he's not pulling my chain, and when the camera arrives it's in the same condition as the pics.

~Simon~

sponsored links

9,165 views & 0 likes for this thread
First time for everything...
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.