Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 02 Mar 2011 (Wednesday) 14:32
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Glassless infinity-focus FD-EOS converter for 600 and 800mm FD lenses now available.

arentol
Goldmember
1,305 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Mar 02, 2011 14:32 |  #1

For those not already aware, about a year ago Ed Mika (Ontarian on Flikr) began development on a new glassless FD-EOS adapter (with AF confirm) that allows focus to infinity on 600mm and 800mm FD lenses, and longer focus than any other glassless converter on other lenses (300 feet on 400mm FD, 38 feet on 200mm):

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/ontaria...76249​29098837/ (external link)

After a few different attempts he has finally finalized the design and first production run. They are now for sale on Ebay for $135:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/​eBayISAPI.dll?...#ht_6​11wt_1141 (external link)

To use it you do have to mod your lens, but it is supposed to be a very simple and easily reversible mod (Just remove a screw or something).

I just placed my order for use with the 600mm FD I picked up last year. If you have a longer FD lens lying around you should look into getting one yourself.

It works best with the 600 and 800mm lenses because those can "Focus past infinity" just enough to not act like they have a 2.75mm extension tube attached.

5D3 | Rokinon 14 f/2.8 | 16-35L II | TS-E 24L | Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 | Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 | Voigtlander 40 f/2.0 | Σ 50 f/1.4 | MP-E 65 | 70-200 2.8L IS II | Σ 85 f/1.4 | Zeiss 100 f/2 | Σ 120-300 f/2.8 OS | 580 EX II | 430 EX II | Fuji X10 | OM-D E-M5 | http://www.mikehjphoto​.com/ (external link)
*****Lenses For Sale (external link)*****

sponsored links
gasrocks
Cream of the Crop
13,431 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Mar 02, 2011 14:55 |  #2

Very interesting indeed. But, I will pass. You can mount any FD lens on a m4/3 and get a 2x crop factor and infinity focus. Though great in their day, the older lenses do fall behind modern versions. Still, may be a way to work up to the expensive options. I know I tried an FD 500/4.5, without glass adpater before I got my EF 500/4.5 -now EF 500/4.

GEAR LIST

arentol
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,305 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Mar 02, 2011 15:20 |  #3

Yeah, I don't expect this to directly interest most people in terms of actually buying it, but it should interest almost everyone to know it can be, and has been, done.... It's kind of amazing it took a random guy in Canada to figure this out and make a product. You would think some big company would have done it long ago.

5D3 | Rokinon 14 f/2.8 | 16-35L II | TS-E 24L | Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 | Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 | Voigtlander 40 f/2.0 | Σ 50 f/1.4 | MP-E 65 | 70-200 2.8L IS II | Σ 85 f/1.4 | Zeiss 100 f/2 | Σ 120-300 f/2.8 OS | 580 EX II | 430 EX II | Fuji X10 | OM-D E-M5 | http://www.mikehjphoto​.com/ (external link)

gasrocks
Cream of the Crop
13,431 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Mar 02, 2011 15:35 |  #4

Big compnay realizes the low interest and passes. I have myself converted several FD lenses to EF mount and sold them. Can be done.

GEAR LIST

phreeky
Goldmember
3,499 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Mar 02, 2011 16:05 |  #5

arentol wrote in post #11943746 (external link)
It's kind of amazing it took a random guy in Canada to figure this out and make a product. You would think some big company would have done it long ago.

A guy in a shed/garage is how most of that stuff happens, actually. Then when they start becoming successful some business often comes along and gives them an offer they cannot refuse.

Unfortunately for this guy I don't think he'll get such an offer. I'm sure some people will be interested and he'll make some sales, but is there really that many people with FD glass kicking around still that wouldn't have bought an EF equivalent by now?

arentol
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,305 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Mar 02, 2011 16:27 |  #6

gasrocks wrote in post #11943854 (external link)
Big compnay realizes the low interest and passes. I have myself converted several FD lenses to EF mount and sold them. Can be done.

Yeah, this is a little different though since the lens isn't "converted" at all. No permanent changes are made and it can be done by anyone.

Also there is apparently a company in china that is trying to make a 1mm glassless converter now. (This one is 0.75mm)

So it looks like that company might see sufficient interest. Even more so because if you are making 5mm thick ones then where is the extra cost in making 1mm thick ones? Seems like a cost savings to me. So it doesn't make much sense not to have tried it before.

ontarian
34 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Apr 10, 2011 12:08 |  #7

gasrocks wrote in post #11943854 (external link)

As far as I am concerned, permanent modification of the better FD glass is distasteful. This is especially true considering the growing field of EVIL cameras that bring the legacy glass into the digital age.

I created the EdMika EF-FD adapter to allow the nice large FD lenses to be useful on both FD film cameras and EF DSLRs. They happen to still be the least expensive option to get to 600 and 800 at fast apertures still available. Some users actually prefer the manual focus FD versions on their DSLRs for professional video shooting, I sold 2 out of my 3 long FD lenses to such a company filming in Algonquin park.

I did not create the adapter to make money, I am a Canon equipment freak and want to share my passion.

-Ed Mika / Ontarian

ontarian
34 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Apr 10, 2011 12:18 |  #8

That said, the second production EdMika branded adapter is on the drawing board as of yesterday. Retaining the value shooting priority of the first adapter, this one is an easy and reversible conversion kit that will be sold to switch FL 55 1.2 lenses to EF mount. The 55 1.2's are some of the lowest cost f/1.2's that can be found and are abundant on eBay and elsewhere. 4 screws removed, three screws tightened into existing holes and you will have an EF 55 1.2 that can be an FD 55 1.2 again in minutes with the same mod in reverse. The solution will again be brass and the lens looks beautiful with it as seen personally on the prototype my father displayed to me yesterday.

ontarian wrote in post #12194474 (external link)
As far as I am concerned, permanent modification of the better FD glass is distasteful. This is especially true considering the growing field of EVIL cameras that bring the legacy glass into the digital age.

I created the EdMika EF-FD adapter to allow the nice large FD lenses to be useful on both FD film cameras and EF DSLRs. They happen to still be the least expensive option to get to 600 and 800 at fast apertures still available. Some users actually prefer the manual focus FD versions on their DSLRs for professional video shooting, I sold 2 out of my 3 long FD lenses to such a company filming in Algonquin park.

I did not create the adapter to make money, I am a Canon equipment freak and want to share my passion.

-Ed Mika / Ontarian

MrLA
727 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Apr 10, 2011 12:51 |  #9

so is this going to be an auto-focus adapter?

Body: Canon 5Dc, (Coming soon <<<6Dc, maybe I shall wait for 6Diic with TouchScreen!).
Other Favorite Camera:
Flash: YN560
Lenses: change all the time!

ontarian
34 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Apr 10, 2011 12:59 |  #10

MrLA wrote in post #12194659 (external link)
so is this going to be an auto-focus adapter?

It will have the same Gen4 dandelion programmable AF-confirm chip adapter reporting to EXIF data 55mm focal length and aperture of 1.2. focus confirmation is useful at the narrow depth of field that the 55 1.2 will give you considering most cameras do not have split focus assist screens. I see the typical user being a rebel/60D level shooter wanting a 1.2 lens on a budget. This would be a great start. The lens can be had for 200 dollars typically and I expect to keep the cost of the adapter the same as the EF-FD one since it uses the same amount of brass, the same labour costs for chip attachment and cost so for 335 you can have a very good low light shooting solution with amazing bokeh.

MrLA
727 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Apr 10, 2011 13:37 |  #11

so it will have only confirmation dot when it is in focus, right? will it be a lens-specific adapter or will it work on any FD lens?

when is this going to be available? and what the total cost to have one shipped to California?

Body: Canon 5Dc, (Coming soon <<<6Dc, maybe I shall wait for 6Diic with TouchScreen!).
Other Favorite Camera:
Flash: YN560
Lenses: change all the time!

ontarian
34 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Apr 10, 2011 14:14 |  #12

MrLA wrote in post #12194842 (external link)
so it will have only confirmation dot when it is in focus, right? will it be a lens-specific adapter or will it work on any FD lens?

when is this going to be available? and what the total cost to have one shipped to California?

Yes, depending on how your camera is set it can light up whatever focus point/points you want when focus is reached with or without a beep.

The current EdMika EF-FD adapter is the only full FD range capable adapter, it will give infinity focus to FD 600 and FD 800 lenses both new and old versions. It will also get you the greatest focus distance of any available glassless adapter. Glass adapters in my opinion are a complete waste of time, the crappiest lens will give you better IQ then the best FD lens with a glass adapter to EF. Keep in mind that from a practical stand point, it only gives you 10 meters of focus on a 135mm lens, 35ish on a 200mm, 120ish meters on a 300, 180 meters on a 400 and has yet to be tested on a 500mm f/4.5 lens.

The new one will be lens specific and be a swappable lens mount only on the FL (not FD) 55mm f/1.2 lens.

Availability of the original is current though there are only 2 left in stock and the new hopefully will be ready for sale in a month or so. Shipping is 11 dollars.

ontarian
34 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Apr 10, 2011 17:32 |  #13

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/ontarian/560791​6962/ (external link)

Inadvertent spy shot my wife took of the prototype FL 55mm 1.2 on an EF body

KenjiS
"Holy crap its long!"
21,362 posts
Gallery: 550 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Apr 10, 2011 18:52 |  #14

phreeky wrote in post #11944071 (external link)
A guy in a shed/garage is how most of that stuff happens, actually. Then when they start becoming successful some business often comes along and gives them an offer they cannot refuse.

Unfortunately for this guy I don't think he'll get such an offer. I'm sure some people will be interested and he'll make some sales, but is there really that many people with FD glass kicking around still that wouldn't have bought an EF equivalent by now?

A lot of that FD glass was REALLY cheap a few years ago...i know the big lenses were even going for not much money

But when the m4/3 system came out it jacked the lens prices up

But even still, you can get easy to convert Nikon F-mount superteles for not too much, i've seen the 600/4 for less than $2000 before..and those lenses are far from bad optically

Gear, New and Old! RAW Club Member
Wanted: 70-200. Time and good health
Deviantart (external link)
Flickr (This is where my good stuff is!) (external link)

KenjiS
"Holy crap its long!"
21,362 posts
Gallery: 550 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Apr 10, 2011 18:53 |  #15

gasrocks wrote in post #11943596 (external link)
Very interesting indeed. But, I will pass. You can mount any FD lens on a m4/3 and get a 2x crop factor and infinity focus. Though great in their day, the older lenses do fall behind modern versions. Still, may be a way to work up to the expensive options. I know I tried an FD 500/4.5, without glass adpater before I got my EF 500/4.5 -now EF 500/4.

My question would be is if an old FD 500mm f/4.5 is still better than say, a Sigma 150-500...

Gear, New and Old! RAW Club Member
Wanted: 70-200. Time and good health
Deviantart (external link)
Flickr (This is where my good stuff is!) (external link)

sponsored links

19,261 views & 0 likes for this thread
Glassless infinity-focus FD-EOS converter for 600 and 800mm FD lenses now available.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.