Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Member Activities 
Thread started 25 Feb 2006 (Saturday) 07:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Another Arizona POTN get together (4)?

DDCSD
GIVIN' GOOD KARMA
13,313 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Apr 09, 2011 14:17 |  #1801

Hello everyone!

I was wondering if anyone knew someplace that rents cameras in Phoenix? My wife is down there for a friend's birthday party and my Mark III came up with an err99 on her. She's supposed to be the unofficial photographer and she didn't take any of my other two cameras. The party is tomorrow, so I can't mail her one of our other cameras.

Thanks for any help!

Derek
Bucketman Karma Fund
https://photography-on-the.net …php?p=9903477#p​ost9903477
POTN FF L2 MadTown Birds

Full Gear List & Feedback

sponsored links
-AP-
Goldmember
2,282 posts
Gallery: 185 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2008

Apr 09, 2011 14:26 |  #1802

DDCSD wrote in post #12190054 (external link)
Hello everyone!

I was wondering if anyone knew someplace that rents cameras in Phoenix? My wife is down there for a friend's birthday party and my Mark III came up with an err99 on her. She's supposed to be the unofficial photographer and she didn't take any of my other two cameras. The party is tomorrow, so I can't mail her one of our other cameras.

Thanks for any help!

http://www.photomark.c​om/ (external link)

http://www.tempecamera​.biz/ (external link)

http://www.tempecamera​.biz/category_s/495.ht​m (external link)

I would call tempe first..

WEBSITE (external link) | FACEBOOK (external link) | Canon 5d3 | SX50 HS | 7D2 |70-200L | 24-70L | 50mm f1.4 | YN-622c | Bunch of lights, a few more lenses and lots of other stuff..

DDCSD
GIVIN' GOOD KARMA
13,313 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Apr 09, 2011 14:53 |  #1803

Thanks we'll try them!

Derek
Bucketman Karma Fund
https://photography-on-the.net …php?p=9903477#p​ost9903477
POTN FF L2 MadTown Birds

Full Gear List & Feedback

-AP-
Goldmember
2,282 posts
Gallery: 185 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2008

Apr 09, 2011 19:16 as a reply to  @ DDCSD's post |  #1804

A buddy from work called and had a shoot lined up for his American Legion/Motorcycle group photo. The photog cancelled and he is in need of a replacement for 9am in the morning. There will be 40 people and motorcycles.

I have no idea about pay or if it's charity, so I would go into to it from the charity side, and if paid, all the better.

PM or post and I will put you in contact with the gentleman for more info.

It's in the 32nd and Bell area.

Kenny.

WEBSITE (external link) | FACEBOOK (external link) | Canon 5d3 | SX50 HS | 7D2 |70-200L | 24-70L | 50mm f1.4 | YN-622c | Bunch of lights, a few more lenses and lots of other stuff..

disneydork06
Cream of the Crop
7,312 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 09, 2011 23:07 |  #1805

-AP- wrote in post #12191209 (external link)
A buddy from work called and had a shoot lined up for his American Legion/Motorcycle group photo. The photog cancelled and he is in need of a replacement for 9am in the morning. There will be 40 people and motorcycles.

I have no idea about pay or if it's charity, so I would go into to it from the charity side, and if paid, all the better.

PM or post and I will put you in contact with the gentleman for more info.

It's in the 32nd and Bell area.

Kenny.

I'm guessing 32st right? if I wasn't working it would be a nice reason to go for a ride to there and take the shot.

Ryan
~AZ POTN Planned Activities (external link)
let me know how I can improve, cause we all know I need it :): Flickr (external link)
myspace (external link) facebook (external link) The Greatest online forum known on Earthtwitter (external link)[URL="http://www.500px​.com/RDimal"]500xp follow me! in something^ you know you want to

john69az
617 posts
Joined May 2005

Apr 10, 2011 11:50 |  #1806

In case anyone didnt see this.

http://www.learn.usa.c​anon.com …5B-1323&PRO=&CID=1-1329N5 (external link)

Be good and if you can't be good, don't get caught. - John Chandler

Hatch1921
Cream of the Crop
7,432 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2006

Apr 10, 2011 11:55 |  #1807

$400 for the day... ouch! Thanks for the link
Hatch

MAIN SITE (external link)
Great site to buy gear through and save some money. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Greentoe.com (external link)

sundevilstormin
Goldmember
1,086 posts
Gallery: 56 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Apr 10, 2011 12:20 |  #1808

Hatch1921 wrote in post #12194387 (external link)
$400 for the day... ouch! Thanks for the link
Hatch

C'mon Hatch - you get "one or two prints", too

AND LUNCH!

BeyondTheNormPhoto (external link)
Zenit 35mm film, Fuji GAZ645, Fuji XT1, Fuji XT3, 10-24mm, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55, 50-200, various OCF units

Hatch1921
Cream of the Crop
7,432 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Apr 10, 2011 14:06 |  #1809

sundevilstormin wrote in post #12194543 (external link)
C'mon Hatch - you get "one or two prints", too

AND LUNCH!

Nothing against Bruce Dorn...very accomplished guy... but... I can see $200 for the day... maybe... with something for portfolio building... maybe toss in a Bruce Dorn stripbox for the $400?

I've watched him in the Photovision dvd's and if the class is going to be something along those lines... then $100-200 would be fair.

But... lol... who am I? I just know I won't be attending. :)

Great site to buy gear through and save some money. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Greentoe.com (external link)

Dean ­ Rachwitz
941 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Apr 10, 2011 15:22 |  #1810

Hmmm, not that I want to be the center of attention or anything, 'cause I do still think of myself as one of the FNGs around here, but it seem like whenever I bring up the money aspect of things I just get dead silence back. Am I violating some unwritten rule or something?

I know that my business model does not fit with what most 'pro photographers' are looking to do, but I assure you it is quite inline with the well established market for this type of business across the country for motorsports event photography.

Personally I'd much rather be making a living at this like guys like Mark Rieblas (external link), and I think I have the potential for that, but it isn't in the cards at the moment.

Anyhow, would appreciate some feedback if I am out of line or committing some sort of faux pas.

But if nobody's really interested, then I suppose that's just fine too. :)

Dean
Nikon Invader
D300/grip|80-200 2.8|70-300VR|17-50 2.8|18-55VR|10-20|50 & 35 1.8|SB-800|2xSB600|
RacersPhoto.com (external link) | Flickr (external link) | facebook (external link)

Hatch1921
Cream of the Crop
7,432 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Apr 10, 2011 15:51 |  #1811

Dean Rachwitz wrote in post #12195339 (external link)
Hmmm, not that I want to be the center of attention or anything, 'cause I do still think of myself as one of the FNGs around here, but it seem like whenever I bring up the money aspect of things I just get dead silence back. Am I violating some unwritten rule or something?

I know that my business model does not fit with what most 'pro photographers' are looking to do, but I assure you it is quite inline with the well established market for this type of business across the country for motorsports event photography.

Personally I'd much rather be making a living at this like guys like Mark Rieblas (external link), and I think I have the potential for that, but it isn't in the cards at the moment.

Anyhow, would appreciate some feedback if I am out of line or committing some sort of faux pas.

Dean... I missed it?

I remember talking about offering to cover specific riders for the day? I know the guy I shot dirt track racing did this... he would approach the racers at the track and offer to shoot them for "X" amount during the day. He shot other people as well... but.. once he got the images he needed he put them online... the people he covered that is....

Another thing he did... he would print 11x14's and pass them off to the drivers... with a small watermark and his contact info... this showed them the level of his work and broke the ice.

Just some thoughts.

What were your original questions?
Hatch

BrianAZ
Goldmember
1,550 posts
Joined May 2007

Apr 10, 2011 16:44 |  #1812

Dean Rachwitz wrote in post #12195339 (external link)

Dean, I'm happy for you. I'm glad that you are making some profit in what you are doing, and it is TOUGH making money when you shoot riders. Your are competing for their fuel, tire, repair, upgrade budget.

If you are getting anyone to buy prints, I'd be estatic!

Website (external link)
My Blog (external link)
facebook (external link)
Gear List

Dean ­ Rachwitz
941 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Apr 10, 2011 19:21 |  #1813

Hatch1921 wrote in post #12195490 (external link)
Dean... I missed it?

I remember talking about offering to cover specific riders for the day? I know the guy I shot dirt track racing did this... he would approach the racers at the track and offer to shoot them for "X" amount during the day. He shot other people as well... but.. once he got the images he needed he put them online... the people he covered that is....

Another thing he did... he would print 11x14's and pass them off to the drivers... with a small watermark and his contact info... this showed them the level of his work and broke the ice.

Just some thoughts.

What were your original questions?
Hatch

I was responding to sundevilstormin's comment on your computations on the ROI of the Groupon deal. Great write-up, btw. He said, "Is anyone making any money in this biz?" I know his question was probably rhetorical, but I thought it might be useful to mention my situation in that I am making a little money, but not in the traditional way. I suppose my thought was to get some ideas going on how one can find a niche that will bring in some cash. Like Kenny and his aerial photography.

I am quite confident that there are dozens more sporting events that you could cover using my formula every month and put several hundred dollars in your pocket - its just a matter of investing the time and developing the market. I already have the system down and all of the infrastructure, I just need skilled and motivated photographers.

And thanks for the suggestions. I have considered offering packages to riders that would get them more attention and have also considered printing samples. One of the guys who shoots for me made a 20x30 of a shot I got of him and we showed it at the riders meeting before the trackday. I am sure that helped make some sales. During the last event, I took my iPad with me and part way through the day I uploaded several photos straight from the camera to the iPad and walked through the pits showing them to some potential customers. The reaction was overwhelmingly positive and I am sure contributed to my sales for that event.

I really could make more money at this. I have several ideas that are sure to increase sales, but I am up against that old work/life balance conundrum. So I need to figure out how to work smarter, not harder. :cool: I can't really increase my time commitment, so I need to figure out the ways to implement my business that maximize the return on my time investment.

BrianAZ wrote in post #12195754 (external link)
Dean, I'm happy for you. I'm glad that you are making some profit in what you are doing, and it is TOUGH making money when you shoot riders. Your are competing for their fuel, tire, repair, upgrade budget.

If you are getting anyone to buy prints, I'd be estatic!

Thanks Brian - I do sell some prints, but between Zenfolio/MPix's high costs and my desire to make the prints affordable for my customers, I make very little on selling prints. I don't have the time or desire to do my own fulfillment, so that has been a conscious decision to give up that potential avenue for profit.

I do have an Epson Stylus Photo 1400, which makes pretty nice 13x19s. I primarily bought it to make prints for myself, but I could use it to make some samples to show customers.

Dean
Nikon Invader
D300/grip|80-200 2.8|70-300VR|17-50 2.8|18-55VR|10-20|50 & 35 1.8|SB-800|2xSB600|
RacersPhoto.com (external link) | Flickr (external link) | facebook (external link)

itsmejson
Goldmember
1,201 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Apr 10, 2011 21:58 |  #1814

anyone know where i could get some 9' white seamless paper here in the valley?
does tempe camera or photomark sell it?

- 5DmarkII | EF 24-70L F2.8 | EF 70-200L F4 | 580EX II | Gitzo 1541T w/ Photoclam Pro-34NS -
- TT Streetwalker Pro | Domke F-5XC -
Flickr (external link)

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Apr 10, 2011 22:42 |  #1815

Savage Paper Dealers in AZ (external link)

The ironic thing? Savage is an AZ company and won't sell direct! :(

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

sponsored links

567,303 views & 274 likes for this thread
Another Arizona POTN get together (4)?
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Member Activities 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.