Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 10 Apr 2011 (Sunday) 22:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What does a photog do who is getting married?

PicBug
644 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Aug 2008

Apr 10, 2011 22:39 |  #1

My boyfriend and I, who are both semi-professional photographers, are planning our wedding soon, and of course....the topic of a wedding photographer came up.

We would like to hire a professional wedding photographer, but wonder if it would be insanely out-of-the question to ask if the culled RAW digital files would be released to us for processing/printing ourselves? In a way, we would be asking someone to do something we would largely hesitate to do ourselves.

I told my boyfriend we could ask the folks on the forum for thoughts and feelings on that.....so please be honest. :oops:

my little gallery (external link)
FaceBook Page (external link)
Diamond Willow Photography Website (external link)
Canon 6D,Tamron 70-300 4-5.6 DiVC, Canon 50mm 1.4, Canon 135L, Sigma 85 1.4 EX DG HSM, Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM, 430EX II, Sigma 24-70 2.8, LR5 Editing

sponsored links
macroshooter1970
Cream of the Crop
7,494 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Apr 10, 2011 22:44 |  #2

Being honest, if you won't do it why should anyone else.

auroraskye
Goldmember
2,445 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Apr 10, 2011 22:50 |  #3

Why do you want RAWs? Why don't you hire someone who's work you like and who you trust to capture your day and do a great job? I have zero desire to hire someone and get RAWs. I want finished files. I have too much to do to stare at my own face and edit photos of myself. And I agree with the above poster.. If you wouldn't do it, why would you ask someone else to?

I am super cool n' stuff.
http://www.brandithomp​sonphotography.com (external link)
Like Me On Facebook (external link)

PeaceFire
Goldmember
2,281 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Apr 10, 2011 22:55 |  #4

Trust me, from experience, you do NOT want to edit your own wedding. It's an extremely difficult thing to do and something I have no intentions on doing the second time around (which is coming up next year). Instead I am hiring a capable photographer who's work I love and trust. And then I will take the 40+ hours I would undoubtedly spend obsessing over my pictures if I were to edit them myself and go on a nice looooong honeymoon and relax. Or learn to knit. Or something.

My Gear List / My Blog (external link)

hb96tuner
191 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Apr 10, 2011 22:57 |  #5

With my own wedding coming up next March, I have also asked myself this same question. And for me it is more difficult as I am getting married in the Caribbean and will only have the choice of the resort photographer. I had a photoshoot done two years ago in the Domincan Republic and the resort photograher took all photos in Auto and JPEG, and weren't all that great! Definatlyt a disapointment, I ran them all through photoshop and done the best I could with what I had to work with.

As for asking the photographer to release all the RAW files....it would be less work for the photographer to do since they would not have to process any ofthe images. Doesn't hurt to ask. I am sure that if you explain why you would like the RAW images to the photographer, he may understand.

5D3 | 5D2 Gripped | S100 | 580EXII | EF70-200L IS II 2.8 | EF 24-105L | EF100-400L | EF 50 1.8| Tokina 10-17mm Fisheye | Pentax MX 35mm | Tefnon 75-300mm | Vivitar 28mm Wide angle | Magnicon 3x Teleconverter | Pentax AF-16 Flash | Asahi Opt Co. 50mm

hy0ii
305 posts
Joined May 2008

Apr 10, 2011 23:08 |  #6

hb96tuner wrote in post #12197732 (external link)
With my own wedding coming up next March, I have also asked myself this same question. And for me it is more difficult as I am getting married in the Caribbean and will only have the choice of the resort photographer.

Why not just hire a destination wedding photographer. There are plenty of great photographers who would like to be flown out to the Caribbean.

Canon 5Dmkii | Canon 7D | Canon 35L | Canon 135L

PeaceFire
Goldmember
2,281 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Apr 11, 2011 01:18 |  #7

hb96tuner wrote in post #12197732 (external link)
With my own wedding coming up next March, I have also asked myself this same question. And for me it is more difficult as I am getting married in the Caribbean and will only have the choice of the resort photographer. I had a photoshoot done two years ago in the Domincan Republic and the resort photograher took all photos in Auto and JPEG, and weren't all that great! Definatlyt a disapointment, I ran them all through photoshop and done the best I could with what I had to work with.

The resort photographer is not your only option! I've shot weddings in the Caribbean at Breezes, Sandals, Palace, and RIU resorts. My brides and grooms never had a problem bringing me onto their resorts and having me shoot their weddings and TTDs.

My first wedding was at a Beaches resort in Jamaica and we hired our own photographer. Sadly, a few weeks before our wedding her Mom had a stroke and she was unable to attend out ceremony so we shot out own (hence why I edited my own wedding pics). I did not like the resort photographer's work plus they won't be with you while you are getting ready or at your reception. Hiring your own and flying them in makes way more sense and costs about the same as most resort photographers.

My Gear List / My Blog (external link)

collierportraits
Goldmember
1,896 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Apr 11, 2011 07:22 |  #8

semi-pro = not the same as full time pro

Agree with most everything that has been said. You'll end up hiring someone that you love their work and take away one of their main tools. End result being you MAY not like their work as well...

Bad idea for you, bad idea for the photographer. It's a lose/lose.

Hire one, let them do their thang, and you'll be wonderfully thankful. ;)

5D3 | 16-35L | 45 TS-E | 50L | 85L | 100L | 135L | 24-70L | 70-200 II L | 580s | Zero, TT & Crumplers | and an X100! :D

frankwite
400 posts
Joined May 2008

Apr 11, 2011 08:06 |  #9

"What does a photog do who is getting married":idea: what everyone else does hire a photographer + get married + go on a honeymoon. It's EXTREMELY "unprofessional" to ask for the raw files and tacky to say the least. Just being honest! :wink:

5D ll | 5D | SL1 | Lumix LX7 | 24-105L| 70-200L| 135L| 85 1.8| 50 1.4| 28 1.8| 50 1.8 ll| 40 2.8 STM| 35 2.0|75-300 lll|18-55 STM| 28-75 2.8

playback
145 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Apr 11, 2011 08:21 |  #10

I asked my wedding photographer for the .raw files from our wedding. I asked him up-front before hiring him. I told him I was a photographer and I really liked his style of shooting, I was capable of editing the pictures afterwards and wanted full control over the post processing. I just needed an experienced body to shoot the pictures since I was in my own wedding ( of course ).

He was cool with it and gave me 4 dvd's of .dng files. Less work for him and I got what I wanted :)

---------------
5Dmk2 || 70-200 2.8 L | 24-70 2.8 L

sidx001
Goldmember
1,212 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Apr 11, 2011 09:48 |  #11

I've had several customers that were photographers themselves and wanted to do the pp themselves as well. Honestly, I have no problem with that! It's not like I'm going to do a worse job photographing the wedding just because I'm not the one that is post processing the pictures! Now, I do cull the OOF or totally insanely terrible pictures, but then I just release the RAW and let them do the work. I keep copies, edit them at my leisure and they become part of my portfolio. For me, it's a win/win situation.

James Smith
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=586230
My Gear

advaitin
Goldmember
4,624 posts
Gallery: 434 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jun 2003

Apr 11, 2011 10:02 |  #12

Surely you have a friend who is also a photographer? Otherwise just talk with potential wedding photographers in your area to see 1. whose work you like and 2. who will let you have the files. Many will charge extra for releasing the raw images.

Canons to the left, Canons to the right,
We hold our L glass toward the light,
Digitizing in a snap reflective glory
That will forever tell our imaged story.

suecassidy
Goldmember
4,102 posts
Joined May 2007

Apr 11, 2011 10:12 |  #13

I have never shot the wedding of another photographer, but I did a family portrait session for one. It was not a happy experience as he tried to micro manage me to the nth degree, and I am not one to roll over in such a situation. Pics turned out fine, but the next time he asked suggested doing it when their second baby arrived, I turned the job down. Not the same situation, I understand, but be aware of that issue as well on your wedding day, regardless of whether you end up getting RAW files.

As for asking for the RAW files and processing yourself, I think it is a terrible idea. Enjoy your day and days to follow and allow the pro you hire to do his/her work. If you MUST, after it is all said and done, and he is paid, you could ask for the RAWS of a couple of your favorites, but...I really wouldn't if I were you.

Sue Cassidy
GEAR: Canon 1ds, Canon 1d Mark iii, Sony RX 100, Canon 50mmL 1.2, Canon 70-200L 2.8 IS, Canon 100-400L IS, Canon 14mm L, 2.8, . Lighting: Elinchrom Rangers, D-lite 400s, Canon 580/550 flashes. 74 ' Octabank, 27' Rotalux. Editing: Aperture 3

Shockey
Goldmember
1,187 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 11, 2011 10:13 |  #14

Bad move, if you are going to process the photos then you will be mentally involved with the photographers taking of the photos, this is a recipe for a huge fail for you and the photographer also.

Hire someone who does work you like. Let them do their thing, and you two do your thing, which is to relax and enjoy your day.

collierportraits
Goldmember
1,896 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Apr 11, 2011 10:21 |  #15

my 2nd reply: Sorry.

:D I don't think honesty will be a problem on this board but after reading back through this, I realized that if you could give more info, we could be a little more helpful.

Is money an issue? Would you be simply trying to save money here? Overall, what would be the purpose to you post processing the images??

5D3 | 16-35L | 45 TS-E | 50L | 85L | 100L | 135L | 24-70L | 70-200 II L | 580s | Zero, TT & Crumplers | and an X100! :D

sponsored links

7,332 views & 0 likes for this thread
What does a photog do who is getting married?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.