Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 11 Apr 2011 (Monday) 10:50
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

First critique request!

Sal24
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Apr 11, 2011 10:50 |  #1

Hi all, now that I'm getting very close to my 10,000 shot taken with the XSi I thought it time to start working on my Lightroom and Photoshop skills. I'm still very much taking shots in the dark and hoping for the best, but with that said I think these may be pretty good pics and edits. Honest critiques will be very much appreciated.

Edit: Added originals to compare

Thanks
Sal

This first shot was very underexposed and lacking completely in color. Cropped the image, increased the exposure and colors.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | Byte size: ZERO

Original:
IMAGE NOT FOUND

Made this BW and then restored the color to the bird and feeder. Left the wings BW since I thought it looked cool that way. Is the line which holds the feeder up distracting? Part of me likes it and part of me thinks I should just clone it out.

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Original:
IMAGE NOT FOUND

Super tight zoom shot of a birds face... I actually did almost nothing to this shot. Just incrased exposure and contrast a tiny bit.

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Original:
IMAGE NOT FOUND

sponsored links
trouthunter
229 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Apr 11, 2011 10:54 |  #2

1 seems soft, you hit the humming bird, overall it is a good shot but the selective colouring does not do it for me. The last one seems a little hot but I like the colours. Overall good job and keep the pictures coming

5D Mark 2, 7D, Canon 70-200 F4L IS , Sigma 17-70 OS, Nifty Fifty, 50 1.4, Speedlite 430 ex2. Einstein 640 x 2
500px (external link)
Flickr (external link)

Flo
Gimmie Some Lovin
44,987 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Apr 11, 2011 12:02 as a reply to  @ trouthunter's post |  #3

Be careful with your processing, it will make or break your photo..too uch saturation and it looks like a bad photo that was trying to be saved...

hummer is great, but leave the color all over.SC is overused and under impressive.

Last, post the original, I bet there are details that can be seen before the heavy contrast was added?

you're a great friend, but if Zombies chase us, I am tripping you.

Sal24
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Apr 11, 2011 12:25 |  #4

Thanks for the input so far. Regarding the first shot being soft, I noticed that too... unfortunately the first shot is the only one taken at a zoo and was through glass, and I believe the thick smudgy glass is the main cause of the softness.

As requested I added the originals by editing my first post, maybe it will help give you a better idea of where my processing was over done. I've also left them uncropped just in case my crops stink too.

Crocodile101
186 posts
Joined May 2009

Apr 11, 2011 13:47 |  #5
bannedPermanent ban

Like the original better on monkeys
take out the line, yes
I would add the color on the wing or just a little.
last one might pass or lower the saturation little.

You don't take a photograph, you make it. Ansel Adams.

dynamic03
341 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 11, 2011 14:04 |  #6

Original monkey pic, edited humming bird pic (remove that line) and the high contrast bird shot at the end. These are are beautiful pics overall, keep 'em coming. What lens are you using?

Canon 5D Mark II | 135mm L | 24-70mm L | 100mm f/2.8 macro | 50mm f/1.8
Wedding Photography (external link)
Photo Blog (external link)

SmilingFox
375 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 11, 2011 14:04 |  #7

Watch the saturation. Sometime less is more... 1 could stand some sharpening. There is a lot that is slightly oof here. I would keep the bg in color with the hummingbird pic as well, maybe you can mute it a little if you want. The last one is the best, but I think it might be a little too much sat as well. Try using vibrance slider instead of sat slider in LR. Keep Shooting!

Canon T1i Nifty 50, 35-135 f4-5.6, 70-200 f4, 580, 2x 430s, and a super long Ettl cord
Family Portraits in The Woodlands, TX (external link)

trouthunter
229 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Apr 11, 2011 18:00 |  #8

I like the original on the last image much better. Are you using Photoshop, lightroom, ACR?

5D Mark 2, 7D, Canon 70-200 F4L IS , Sigma 17-70 OS, Nifty Fifty, 50 1.4, Speedlite 430 ex2. Einstein 640 x 2
500px (external link)
Flickr (external link)

Sal24
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Apr 11, 2011 19:34 |  #9

Thanks again for all this input, I've already started to play around with the photos using some of the suggestions above.
These 3 shots were all taken with a Canon EF 70-300 f4-5.6 on my XSi. My short focal lense is the ef-s 17-55 2.8, but was not used for the shots above.

As for processing, I am using Lightroom for basic tweaks, and Photoshop when for larger more serious editing, such as masking out the backround color on the hummingbird. I shoot mostly manual and therefore have mostly raw files. Do I need to specifically invoke ACR when I'm working with my files or doing specific edits, or when using adobe products is ACR the default way the programs interact with the RAW files? Such as when I perform sharpening. I do not do any imports via DPP... I usually just do a manual copy of the files off the memory card and then sync them into lightroom. Any reason this would be considered a bad way to do things?

Thanks
Sal

Bcarpenter93
114 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Apr 11, 2011 22:12 |  #10

there all amazing, well done

AmandaLeigh
223 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Apr 12, 2011 01:58 |  #11

Great photos, but like others said, be careful with the saturation.

I really like the SC hummingbird, very creative leaving the wings black as well. I just love that photo!

I own a Canon EOS Rebel T3i. 50mm lens and 55-250mm lens. Canon rocks!
Amanda Leigh Photography
http://amandaleighphot​os.weebly.com/ (external link)

Andy ­ R
Goldmember
1,881 posts
Gallery: 120 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 12, 2011 11:32 |  #12

I actually like all the originals much more then the edits, like said above selective color is good for some, but not good for most. and to much PP is not always best....at least you still have the originals to try again :)

5D4 ~ 5D2 ~ 80D
Canon 14L ~ Canon 24-105L mk2 ~ Canon 50 f1.8 STM ~ Canon 135L ~ Sigma 100-400 ~ Canon 1.4x mk2

Nathan
So boring
7,735 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Aug 2007

Apr 12, 2011 11:41 |  #13

Sorry to say this since it's obvious to put a lot of work and thought into your edits, but I like the original colors better. Each original could be upped a notch in terms of contrast and saturation, but overall the photographer did a great job capturing the images in-camera!

Taking photos with a fancy camera does not make me a photographer.
www.nathantpham.com (external link) | Boston POTN Flickr (external link) |
5D3 x2 | 16-35L II | 35 L | 50L | 85L II | 135L | 580 EX II x2

Big ­ Apple ­ Photography
Wish I had a 5D Classic
4,148 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Apr 12, 2011 12:18 |  #14

#1 leave it as it is
i like #2,3 though

Love POTN? Donate!
Feel like spending your money? Support POTN while doing that! Shop here! ;) (external link)TF IS BOORING...Undeserving of the TF's further attention, but sadly in need of a spell-check (external link)

sponsored links

1,635 views & 0 likes for this thread
First critique request!
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.