Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 12 Apr 2011 (Tuesday) 18:50
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Filming concert on a 7d

t ­ verdier
45 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 12, 2011 18:50 |  #1

Hey I was wondering if I should shoot my friends concert at 24, or 30fps? Also should I keep the iso constant or set it for Auto? Also any tips would be great. I've never shot video like this before.

7D, 10D, Elan2, 24-70 2.8L 70-200 2.8L IS

konfuzd1
Mostly Lurking
16 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 12, 2011 21:39 |  #2

Haven't got my 7D yet but I just picked up a T2I last week. My initial thought would be to go with 24 just to be safe, but with the dual processors on the 7D it shouldn't be an issue. Shoot 30 and get smoother action. A fast zoom is what you need, though. I would trust my 70-200 f4L IS for video, but maybe not the 28-135. Unless you can get down front and shoot wide open, you may want to consider renting or borrowing something fast and with reach. And iso will depend on how much you're pushing the lens and how the stage is lit. If you can, get there early while they're setting up and get some test footage. It's been my experience that most stage lighting (at least for concerts) is bright but quite contrasty. Auto iso may turn out uneven. Just try a low iso on the stage (or try to simulate it), look for artifacting or noise in the playback and adjust up if you need to. But above all, don't shoot video if they're using lasers!!!

Gripped 50D; Rebel T2I; Rebel 35mm; EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM; 50mm f/1.8 USM II; 70-200mm f/4.0L IS USM; 430EX II (and just for fun, Rokinon 500 f/6.3 mirror and 2x tube)
http://www.facebook.co​m/milliner.john?sk=pho​tos (external link)

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
14,884 posts
Gallery: 1717 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2004

Apr 13, 2011 00:06 |  #3

Tripod is your friend. 24fps vs. 30fps would depend on the "look" that you're going for. Traditionally, 24fps feels more cinematic. Does that matter to you?

The bigger problem you'll likely get is with the audio, unless you've got a external mic or better yet, a dedicated audio device that you can later mix into the video. As with the ISO, I typically pic the ISO. But you can get rather noise-free footages at 1600 and under.

Another thing to watch out for is the lighting. It would be VERY UNLIKELY that in a "concert" environment you'll encounter fluorescent lighting (which tend to cycle at a certain frequency) where if your shutter speed is incorrect, you can get flickering-like effect on your video.

And I would encourage that you practice manual zooming/focusing prior to the event. Relying on the live view AF will be very painful. Not that it won't eventually get you a very accurate focus (because it will), it'll just take forever. If you don't plan on changing the focus point, you can pre-focus before you start recording... or record and focus prior to music being played and later on crop it out in post.

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Reviews | "The Mighty One" (external link) | "EF 85mm f/1.4 L IS Review" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

2,521 views & 0 likes for this thread
Filming concert on a 7d
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.