Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Birds 
Thread started 09 Jan 2011 (Sunday) 09:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Ruddy Turnstone, and others with the 2X TC....

bettyn
Goldmember
3,445 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2006

Mar 13, 2011 12:17 |  #76

Wonderful series, Shar. I haven't done much with my 1.4 TC lately because my eyesight is getting so bad I can't manually focus unless I use Live View. Even then it's hit or miss.

My Gear: 6D, 7D, EOS-M w EF-M 22 f2 STM and EF-M 18-55 f3.5-5.6 IS STM, 17-40L f4, 24-70L f2.8, 100 f2.8 non-IS macro, 70-200L f/4 IS, 400L f5.6,, Canon 1.4x II TC, Canon Speedlite 430 EX II, Better Beamer. Manfrotto carbon fiber tripod, 2 monopods, Manfrotto ballhead and pistol grip tripod heads.

sponsored links
balian67
226 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 13, 2011 12:21 |  #77

Very Nice Series, Thumbs Up

Edwin Matias
Flickr (external link)

Shar824
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
11,948 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Mar 13, 2011 12:26 |  #78

bettyn wrote in post #12011665 (external link)
Wonderful series, Shar. I haven't done much with my 1.4 TC lately because my eyesight is getting so bad I can't manually focus unless I use Live View. Even then it's hit or miss.

Thanks Betty....that the only drawback with the TC's...the manually focusing. It's hit and miss with me 98% of the time.

balian67 wrote in post #12011685 (external link)
Very Nice Series, Thumbs Up

Thank you Edwin, your comment is very much appreciated.

Sharon

"If you want to see birds, you must have birds in your heart." -- John Burroughs

Owl_79
786 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Apr 13, 2011 07:05 |  #79

Very nice!
I'll try today my "sharp copy" 100-400 w/EF 2x II TC - just to see how it performs :)

Canon
http://tonskulus.kuvat​.fi/kuvat/ (external link)

bowser_23
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined May 2012

May 01, 2012 14:42 as a reply to  @ Owl_79's post |  #80

ordered mine!

jhayesvw
Cream of the Crop
7,230 posts
Gallery: 167 photos
Joined Jan 2011

May 02, 2012 00:40 as a reply to  @ bowser_23's post |  #81

Holy old thread!
I do have a kenko 1.4 DGX MC4 that works well with my 100-400L though.

My Flickr (external link)

recrisp
Goldmember
2,512 posts
Gallery: 92 photos
Joined May 2008

May 04, 2012 16:59 as a reply to  @ jhayesvw's post |  #82

I read another thread and it mentions this thread, so I read them both, and thought, "Maybe it'll work if I buy the 2X converter", I already had the 1.4 converter. The 1.4 works, not really well, but it will get you that shot if you 'have to have it', and it'll auto-focus too, but it's SLOW... It doesn't work well for BIF (birds in flight) at all. (I also have a 100-400mmL)
Fast-forward to today, I received my 2X converter and tried a quick test, to say I am disappointed is not quite right, I feel stupid. heheh I blame myself, I was hoping, just like Sharon, to maybe help me make it to where I won't have to get a 500mm, but this is not the help I wanted. When it "hunts" in auto-focus, it never stops hunting at all, it will try to focus all day long if you let it, and never hit perfect focus, or even 'near focus'. Like Sharon says, you need to use manual focus, and I read that, and I thought that maybe it would hunt like my 1.4 converter on my 100-400mmL, but the two are worlds apart.
I admit, this is slightly premature to write this, but these are my first (quick) tests, and my initial reactions, none are good, I'm sorry to say.
Now, my 2x that came today was Adorama, who I buy from quite a bit, but the packaging was pretty bad, and the box was slightly crushed, not ruined, but I don't know if it was damaged or not in transit. The packing was a slightly aired up air-tight plastic envelope, and all that was inside was the 2x's box, so there was no protection at all the way I see it. I guess they think that their pillow envelope is enough, but it's not. Maybe it's fine, and that is the way it is anyway, I don't know.

Tomorrow though, I hope to test it out a little more, and maybe I can find some happy things to say afterwards. I'd be happy to see one shot like Sharon's, (even close) and maybe that will happen, we'll see.
(I do realize too that at 800mm, or even less it will not be perfect, and I have been shooting long enough to know what to expect from a lens, but in this case, it's kind'a different)

One other thing, I use a T2i, and I tried making a really short video test with it, it didn't look half bad at 800mm, so maybe I can use it for video only, I'll see tomorrow. :)

I'm not trying to bring a downer to this thread, and I hope that y'all see that I am just letting others know that it 'might work', and 'might not' too.

Randy

Gear List
Flickr (external link)

dgraham329
Cream of the Crop
11,133 posts
Joined Jan 2010

May 04, 2012 20:10 |  #83

they look pretty darn good - nice series, Sharon

Alf85
68 posts
Joined Jan 2010

May 05, 2012 07:43 |  #84

Super set of images.
Alf.

sponsored links

18,458 views & 0 likes for this thread
Ruddy Turnstone, and others with the 2X TC....
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Birds 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.