Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 13 Apr 2011 (Wednesday) 20:32
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

When is it time to fire someone?

Ledrak
266 posts
Joined May 2007

Apr 13, 2011 20:32 |  #1

I have a little free time so I figured I post my current dilemma to get some opinions. The question is, how many times do you give someone to do their job right before you fire them?

The real scenario is that I recently hired someone to work for me on a new project, and one of the things that I made very clear was that I expected a progress report delivered to me every 2-3 days. The employee did not do this the first time, so I brought it to their attention. A week passed and I received no report, once again. This time I gave a stern warning. Employee gave me an excuse (which I said was unacceptable), and immediately said they would provide a report the next day. That was Monday... and I still have not received a report from this employee.

There's a major deadline this Friday. If they don't turn in their assignment on time, obviously they're done. I would prefer not to have it come to that, because then I have to replace the person very quickly and it's going to be a major headache. So part of me says I need to call this person in tomorrow and make sure they have their **** together, even though that goes somewhat against my principles, to try and avoid having to replace someone in the middle of a major project.

So, what would you do if you were me? Fire them immediately, help them stay out of trouble, or don't help them and let them possibly dig their own grave on the deadline date?

sponsored links
karobinson
Goldmember
1,230 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Apr 13, 2011 20:35 |  #2

You have way more patience then I. I would think the minute the first report wasn't turned in it was time....

Ann Robinson:)
My Gear: bunch of stuff;....some I love ... some I hate ... some I can't live without..loving my 5d3...

Ledrak
THREAD ­ STARTER
266 posts
Joined May 2007

Apr 13, 2011 20:40 as a reply to  @ karobinson's post |  #3

Yeah, looking back the 1st time should've been a sign. But I (perhaps stupidly) gave them the benefit of the doubt. Then everything was fine for a while, until the second incident happened. Now, we're so far into the project that it becomes a hassle to replace anyone.

suecassidy
Goldmember
4,102 posts
Joined May 2007

Apr 13, 2011 20:41 |  #4

I judge such things like this: is it an "event' or is it a "pattern". The first time it happened, it was an event. Now it is a pattern. Look at this as a glimpse of our future with this employee. Keep them for too long, allowing this to go on, and you'll have a harder time getting rid of him or her. AND you will have time invested in training and will rationalize keeping him/her. You might be doing that employee a favor by firing him and explaining exactly why.

Sue Cassidy
GEAR: Canon 1ds, Canon 1d Mark iii, Sony RX 100, Canon 50mmL 1.2, Canon 70-200L 2.8 IS, Canon 100-400L IS, Canon 14mm L, 2.8, . Lighting: Elinchrom Rangers, D-lite 400s, Canon 580/550 flashes. 74 ' Octabank, 27' Rotalux. Editing: Aperture 3

karobinson
Goldmember
1,230 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Apr 13, 2011 20:41 |  #5

Exactly why I would have canned them the first time out...sorry you are stuck in this situation.

Ann Robinson:)
My Gear: bunch of stuff;....some I love ... some I hate ... some I can't live without..loving my 5d3...

BioSci
413 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Joined Nov 2010

Apr 13, 2011 20:48 |  #6

karobinson wrote in post #12217483 (external link)
Exactly why I would have canned them the first time out...sorry you are stuck in this situation.

Hell, I would have caned them, then canned them. That's absolutely inexcusable. That person's job performance is NOT improving.

EOS R | 7D | 24-70 f/2.8L II | 70-200 f/2.8L II | 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L | 17-55 f/2.8 | 11-16 f/2.8

Tyo Photography (external link)

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Apr 13, 2011 20:51 |  #7

First time you write them up and have them sign the verbal warning and you sign the document as well.
Second time of non compliance is a written warning. They sign and you sign the document.
Third time is a final written warning. You note that non compliance will lead up to and including termination... They do it again and they are out the door.
This is the way you cover your butt:) Always have it documented and on paper.

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

Drozz119
Goldmember
1,340 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 13, 2011 20:53 |  #8

Other than this incident.. How would you rate this employee (1-10)?

If the answer is a 10, then you need to find out what's going on.. Call them in and get a verbal update. If you fire them before the deadline.. chances are you'll replace them with someone worse!

If they're a 1-5.. Fire their A$$

6-9 .. Micromanage them through the deadline then re-assess their employment.

ShoFilms (external link)
gear

mikeassk
Goldmember
2,329 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 13, 2011 21:02 |  #9

Too many possible elements here for any sort of anonymous advise. We are possibly talking about someones livelihood here folks, not being Donald Trump for a minute.

OP: Grow some, and deal with this yourself.

Stuff

Jill-of-all-Trades
far from having everything figured out!
16,301 posts
Gallery: 120 photos
Joined Jun 2006

Apr 13, 2011 21:06 |  #10

scorpio_e wrote in post #12217538 (external link)
First time you write them up and have them sign the verbal warning and you sign the document as well.
Second time of non compliance is a written warning. They sign and you sign the document.
Third time is a final written warning. You note that non compliance will lead up to and including termination... They do it again and they are out the door.
This is the way you cover your butt:) Always have it documented and on paper.

This is the way that I usually find things work. Verbal, written, final, gone. You've given verbal already. Give them a written warning and both sign it. Be clear on what you expect and what the consequences will be. But also make sure you get some feedback from the person. I always hated it when someone would jump all over me about something but never stop to ask if there was something happening that was causing the problem.

Example case: I was working in a position that made me visible to customers but I didn't interact with them full time. Without warning, my boss pulled me into his office and had a written warning about "not being happy enough". (Seriously, that's what was written) No one ever bothered to talk to me about anything or ask if there was something wrong. And at that point I was dealing with my Mother going through cancer and losing the battle. The last thing I felt like doing was running around with a smile plastered on my face.

All summed up - be strict but be compassionate. And there are lots of people out there that desperately need a job.

Melody

Ledrak
THREAD ­ STARTER
266 posts
Joined May 2007

Apr 13, 2011 21:08 as a reply to  @ mikeassk's post |  #11

Overlooking the missed reports, I'd say they were a solid 8 - 8.5 thus far.

Ledrak
THREAD ­ STARTER
266 posts
Joined May 2007

Apr 13, 2011 21:09 |  #12

mikeassk wrote in post #12217602 (external link)
Too many possible elements here for any sort of anonymous advise. We are possibly talking about someones livelihood here folks, not being Donald Trump for a minute.

OP: Grow some, and deal with this yourself.

Relax bro... nobody is getting fired based on what someone says on a message board. Only reason I'm inquiring is cause I had some down time.

MikeFairbanks
Cream of the Crop
6,428 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Apr 13, 2011 21:12 |  #13

Will his or her failure to meet deadline have any impact on you?

Thank you. bw!

Ledrak
THREAD ­ STARTER
266 posts
Joined May 2007

Apr 13, 2011 21:31 |  #14

MikeFairbanks wrote in post #12217663 (external link)
Will his or her failure to meet deadline have any impact on you?

Yes. I cannot complete my work without that persons part.

turbo212003
852 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Apr 13, 2011 21:37 |  #15

If i was ever in the position to fire someone, i would never consult a message board, despite having "down time"

Gear List
http://www.grantwphoto​.com (external link)

sponsored links

4,312 views & 0 likes for this thread
When is it time to fire someone?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.