Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Member Activities 
Thread started 25 Feb 2006 (Saturday) 07:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Another Arizona POTN get together (4)?

AZAlphaDog
Goldmember
1,750 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 13, 2011 17:35 as a reply to  @ post 12215984 |  #1831

You just gotta love this board . . .

It's like one of those bad soap-opera's, so much drama and so much going on behind-the-scenes . . .

Here is a good one for you Brian, Family Photography - Senior Portraits - Maternity - $100 (external link)

DOUG JAMES | PHOTO PRODUCTIONS (external link) | FACEBOOK (external link)

sponsored links
matrix311
529 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Apr 13, 2011 19:16 |  #1832

AZAlphaDog wrote in post #12216364 (external link)

It's like one of those bad soap-opera's, so much drama and so much going on behind-the-scenes . . .

Here is a good one for you Brian, Family Photography - Senior Portraits - Maternity - $100 (external link)

Hah I know this person too!

Eric Schlaht - Phoenix Arizona Photographer
http://www.esimaging.n​et (external link) - http://esimaging.blogs​pot.com (external link) - http://www.facebook.co​m/esimaging (external link)
Canon 7D, 40D, 24-70mm f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/4 IS, 85mm f/1.8, 50mm f/1.8, Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8, Kenko Tubes, White Lightning X800's, 430EX, Yongnuo YN-468 and Cybersync's.

Becca
Lady in Red
7,158 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Apr 2005

Apr 13, 2011 20:43 |  #1833

Hello Arizona People! I haven't been on the forum much lately. Too busy trying to buy a house!

I have had a request from a friend back east for suggestions for hotels or lodges near Zion and Bryce. I haven't made it up there yet and I thought I would ask if any of you had any suggestions. I'd appreciate it!

Hope you are all well. I've been following a few of you on Facebook and it looks like everyone is busy busy busy!

Becca
"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." ~ Saint Augustine
Gear List

jbdavies
Cream of the Crop
5,738 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Apr 13, 2011 20:46 |  #1834

Becca wrote in post #12217489 (external link)
Hello Arizona People! I haven't been on the forum much lately. Too busy trying to buy a house!

I have had a request from a friend back east for suggestions for hotels or lodges near Zion and Bryce. I haven't made it up there yet and I thought I would ask if any of you had any suggestions. I'd appreciate it!

Hope you are all well. I've been following a few of you on Facebook and it looks like everyone is busy busy busy!

I stayed at one of the hotels at Bryce in 2009... on 4th of July weekend. I wouldn't suggest that. It was $160 a night. Haha. There are few hotels there tough (I can think of 3 different hotels right at the canyon). Then there are a couple along the way, once you turn off SR89A (I think that's the highway) towards Bryce Canyon.

As for Zion, I haven't been there in a while. I know there are hotels around there also, but have no idea about price or anything like that.

-Jeremy-
UPDATED!! www.sur-realphotography.com (external link) UPDATED!!
Facebook Profile (external link) | Facebook Page (external link)
Google+ (external link)

Kristy
Cream of the Crop
10,583 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2005

Apr 13, 2011 21:40 |  #1835

jbdavies wrote in post #12217514 (external link)
I stayed at one of the hotels at Bryce in 2009... on 4th of July weekend. I wouldn't suggest that. It was $160 a night. Haha. There are few hotels there tough (I can think of 3 different hotels right at the canyon). Then there are a couple along the way, once you turn off SR89A (I think that's the highway) towards Bryce Canyon.

As for Zion, I haven't been there in a while. I know there are hotels around there also, but have no idea about price or anything like that.

Hey Jeremy... how about giving her the name of the 3 that you can think of... lol... details mister, women want details... ;)

Hope you are doing well up there in Utah.... still waiting for you to break out with a new set of landscape photos....

"Hi Becca"... did you close on the house? Soooo exciting! I saw your video on FB... looks like an awesome house! Congrats!

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take,but by the moments that take our breath away.
~George Carlin
Kristy :D 5D MkIII, 24-70 / f2.8 L, 2 AB800's, and some modifiers.
My Website Page (external link)
My Flickr Page (external link)

BrianAZ
Goldmember
1,550 posts
Joined May 2007

Apr 13, 2011 22:45 |  #1836

AZAlphaDog wrote in post #12216364 (external link)

Thanks for thinking of me Doug! Unfortunately, it looks like CL has pulled the ad.

I do, however, have a newborn shoot scheduled for this weekend, and possibly a group of sisters as well. Frank will hate this, but I'm doing these sessions gratis'.

Website (external link)
My Blog (external link)
facebook (external link)
Gear List

Hatch1921
Cream of the Crop
7,466 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Apr 13, 2011 22:51 |  #1837

BrianAZ wrote in post #12218294 (external link)
Thanks for thinking of me Doug! Unfortunately, it looks like CL has pulled the ad.

I do, however, have a newborn shoot scheduled for this weekend, and possibly a group of sisters as well. Frank will hate this, but I'm doing these sessions gratis'.

I will not hate this.... I think it's a great thing. If you get to be creative and it keeps you shooting.. go for it... paid or not. I've shot free before... several occasions. Just have to pick the stuff you want to shoot. :)

6,166,318 people in AZ... someone out there will hire me :) I just know it.

Have fun on the shoots.
Hatch

MAIN SITE (external link)
Great site to buy gear through and save some money. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Greentoe.com (external link)

macroshooter1970
Cream of the Crop
7,494 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Apr 13, 2011 22:58 |  #1838

I stayed at this place a few times when going there. http://www.rubysinn.co​m/ (external link)

scottcolbath
740 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Apr 13, 2011 23:00 |  #1839

Kristy wrote in post #12215984 (external link)
This is weird... anyone want to go and photograph a bird with her egg?

http://phoenix.craigsl​ist.org/wvl/bab/232303​1399.html (external link)

Feh. Been there, done that. :D

IMAGE: http://truefunnystories.info/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/Img270073311.jpg

S.C.

Becca
Lady in Red
7,158 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Apr 2005

Apr 13, 2011 23:08 |  #1840

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll pass them along.

Kristy - not yet! We had our inspection today that turned up a few problems with the roof so we are going back to the bank to see if they will fix it or lower the price so we can. Keep your fingers crossed for us!

Becca
"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." ~ Saint Augustine
Gear List

scottcolbath
740 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Apr 13, 2011 23:13 |  #1841

Not exactly close, but I loved this place. Cliff Dwellers Lodge.

http://www.cliffdwelle​rslodge.com/main/ (external link)

I stayed there to do a little off road riding, hanging out with the wife and a friend and a plan to run up to Kanab to see that place where Michael Vick's dogs were staying (Best Friends Animal Society). Little did I know that from Kanab, Zion is only another 30 miles. I zipped on up on the motorcycle and did a pass through the place.

I loved Cliff Dwellers beause you are really out in the middle of nowhere. It's beautiful and quiet. Also, the Colorado is only a couple miles away at most, down one of several dirt roads in the area. You can hang over the edge and have a look down without anyone freaking out. There is also a restaurant.

A couple pics.

Cliff Dwellers at night.

IMAGE: http://www.yarnellpics.com/Travel/Arizona-Strip-Sept-2008/Az-Strip128/380300353_xraE8-L.jpg

The colorado. I guess this is more or less the start of the Grand Canyon. Is thre some official starting point, such as actually within the national park?

IMAGE: http://www.yarnellpics.com/Travel/Arizona-Strip-Sept-2008/Az-Strip004-b/377602459_JV9YY-XL.jpg

My bitchin' machine at the edge.

IMAGE: http://www.yarnellpics.com/Travel/Arizona-Strip-Sept-2008/Az-Strip020/380281382_MDaeQ-L.jpg

Ayway, I'd stay at Cliff Dwellers. The ride to Zion is great and it is really not that far, but then again, I'm one who will ride 300 miles one way for a cheesburger. :cool:

S.C.

scottcolbath
740 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Apr 13, 2011 23:18 |  #1842

Becca wrote in post #12218410 (external link)
Thanks for the suggestions! I'll pass them along.

Kristy - not yet! We had our inspection today that turned up a few problems with the roof so we are going back to the bank to see if they will fix it or lower the price so we can. Keep your fingers crossed for us!

Is it a foreclosure? I've been poking around at homes in the Phoenix area and I was humored by things I saw. Many people who are foreclosed upon take every.......god.......​..damn......thing out of the homes, including ceiling fans. What the hell are you going to do with a ceiling fan when you are now homeless? :confused: All I could envision was Steve Martin in The Jerk, leaving the house with all the stuff......

"And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this ashtray... And this paddle game. - The ashtray and the paddle game and that's all I need... And this remote control. - The ashtray, the paddle game, and the remote control, and that's all I need... And these matches. - The ashtray, and these matches, and the remote control, and the paddle ball... And this lamp. - The ashtray, this paddle game, and the remote control, and the lamp, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The paddle game and the chair, and the remote control, and the matches for sure. Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need."

S.C.

azbojo22
344 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 14, 2011 00:02 |  #1843

Cliff Rose Lodge seems nice although a bit pricey.... http://www.cliffroselo​dge.com/ (external link)

I didn't stay there but considered it when thinking about a trip to Zion last summer.

Bob
Gear Flickr (external link) Feedback

AZAlphaDog
Goldmember
1,750 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 14, 2011 01:21 |  #1844

BrianAZ wrote in post #12218294 (external link)

I don't know why the ad was pulled?

Looked like a legit business offering packages for a reasonable price. I don't know the photographer, so for all I know they could be offering exceptional quality for a very reasonable price and that seems fine to me.

I don't think the photographer offering these packages is/was doing anything wrong, they see a audience and market to it. Nothing wrong with that.

I'm not sure you could actually turn a profit charging the prices they listed, but when you ask most people about this type of thing, most think 100% is profit . . .

Very few factor insurance, travel time, equipment cost, education, post processing time and the expensive computer, let alone expensive camera equipment costs into the equation.

It just went towards the discussion we were having about how to compete with these type of photographers who don't have a studio or much overhead to speak of and if they really did a cost-of-doing-business calculation they would find that at the rates they charge they are losing money . . . (like Frank's Groupon example)

Who knows, maybe the photographer has a very well paying IT job during the day, and just does this "photography" stuff during nights and weekends (wink, wink) :lol:

ah come on, it's a joke, lighten up. (does this mean you are going to un-friend me on facebook?)

DOUG JAMES | PHOTO PRODUCTIONS (external link) | FACEBOOK (external link)

jbdavies
Cream of the Crop
5,738 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Apr 14, 2011 03:03 |  #1845

Kristy wrote in post #12217869 (external link)
Hey Jeremy... how about giving her the name of the 3 that you can think of... lol... details mister, women want details... ;)

Hope you are doing well up there in Utah.... still waiting for you to break out with a new set of landscape photos....

"Hi Becca"... did you close on the house? Soooo exciting! I saw your video on FB... looks like an awesome house! Congrats!

I don't remember the names, it was almost 2 years ago. Haha. Otherwise, I would. :p

I'm waiting for that too... I'm also waiting for some decent weather too!! Haha.

-Jeremy-
UPDATED!! www.sur-realphotography.com (external link) UPDATED!!
Facebook Profile (external link) | Facebook Page (external link)
Google+ (external link)

sponsored links

798,144 views & 393 likes for this thread
Another Arizona POTN get together (4)?
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Member Activities 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.