Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 13 Apr 2011 (Wednesday) 23:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Where/How do you store your lens(es) at home?

pbelarge
Goldmember
2,835 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Apr 13, 2011 23:29 |  #1

I have spent way more money on my camera gear, including lenses than I expected to. I have insurance, but do not want to fall back on the insurance if it is not necessary. So I went out and purchased a couple of fire safes and have stored my software, lenses and other important camera gear in the safes. I feel pretty good about the way I have these protected.
I actually have other stuff, but it is stored in drawers and my closet, such as bags/backpacks and flash, etc...

I wonder how others are storing their stuff.

just a few of my thoughts...
Pierre

sponsored links
cruleworld
330 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Apr 13, 2011 23:33 |  #2

Haha wow you are really serious about this if your buying safes. I just have mine stored away in my camera bag. Although I currently only have one (the kit lens)...

JOSH SORENSON|MY SITE (external link)

anlenke
575 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 13, 2011 23:36 |  #3

I'm comfortable with my gear being stored in two large cabinets I built in my apartment. I do have insurance, but I think the gear is pretty safe. I do have some desiccant in the cabinet, and my more expensive medium format & movie gear lives in pelican cases I transport it with... I don't think I'd want to go through the hassle of accessing a safe to get my gear, but I live in a building that is tough to get into (codes/key cards etc)

Hi. I'm Anton.
Personal work: Flickr (external link)
Gear, for those who want to know.

Tony_Stark
Shellhead
4,287 posts
Joined May 2010

Apr 13, 2011 23:45 |  #4

I have just a 50D and a Nifty, no camera bag. I just place my camera wherever in my room. When I get more lenses I want to buy a nice messenger bag to hold everything.

Nikon D810 | 24-70/2.8G | 58/1.4G
EOS M | 22 f/2 STM

Website (external link) | flickr (external link)

NinetyEight
"Banned for life"
3,194 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Sep 2008

Apr 14, 2011 02:04 |  #5

Stored in a couple of camera bags that are kept on chairs (off the floor)

Kev

aznlunatic
38 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 14, 2011 03:05 |  #6

I have a canon t3i with the kit lens, 18-135mm and a nifty 50 with some other small accessories that are stored in my canon 200eg backpack. Thats all i have so far for now.

Canon T3i Gripped | 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II | 18-135mm f/3.6-5.6 IS | 50mm f/1.8 |

blk-dslr
629 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Apr 14, 2011 03:10 |  #7

I stored all my camera, lens and gear with my guns and rifle in the safe =)

Gear List

philwillmedia
Cream of the Crop
5,252 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Apr 14, 2011 03:12 |  #8

The last place I put them down.
Usually just dump them on the floor in the living room.
At the moment, the 1D MkII & 70-200/2.8 are on the coffee table.
The 40D & 300/2.8 are on the floor.
The 100-400 is under the coffee table.
The rest of the gear is in the camera bag on the floor in front of the TV.
All where it's been since Sunday night after I walked in from tyeh last shoot I did.

No kids to worry about, just the dog and she's not interested.

Regards, Phil
2013/14 CAMS Gold Accredited Photographer | 2010 & 2011 V8 Supercars Aust. Accredited Photographer | 2008, '09, '10 South Aus. Rally Photographer of the Year | Catch Fence Photos - 2009 Photo of the Year (external link)Finallist - 2014 NT Media Awards
"A bad day at the race track is better than a good day in the office" | www.freewebs.com/philw​illmedia (external link)

melcat
Goldmember
1,122 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Apr 14, 2011 03:39 |  #9

pbelarge wrote in post #12218504 (external link)
So I went out and purchased a couple of fire safes and have stored my software, lenses and other important camera gear in the safes. I feel pretty good about the way I have these protected.

You probably shouldn't. Fire safes are usually rated only to protect paper rather than digital media. Unfortunately, we know all about that down here.

Back up your photos off site. Insurance will cover the rest. I'm outright mystified by you keeping "software" in the safe; the account password should be enough if you purchased by download.

jdmhon
233 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Apr 14, 2011 04:14 |  #10

air tight in a pelican case with silica gel packs to insure moisture free environment.

5D III x2 & FUJI xT-1s: 24L, 35L, 50L 85L II, 100L Macro H-IS, 135L Paul C Buff Lighting
-15" MacBook Pro Retina w/ Capture One & Lightroom 5 -Adobe CS6 Suite -NIK Software Contact: geoffmau@me.com (external link)
www.geoffmau.com (external link)

ShotByTom
Goldmember
3,012 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Apr 14, 2011 04:18 |  #11

philwillmedia wrote in post #12219113 (external link)
The last place I put them down.
Usually just dump them on the floor in the living room.
At the moment, the 1D MkII & 70-200/2.8 are on the coffee table.
The 40D & 300/2.8 are on the floor.
The 100-400 is under the coffee table.
The rest of the gear is in the camera bag on the floor in front of the TV.
All where it's been since Sunday night after I walked in from tyeh last shoot I did.

No kids to worry about, just the dog and she's not interested.

show off!

Oh...I use a pelican case..

back on track....SHOW OFF!;)

Gear
Website (external link)

SOX ­ 404
574 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Apr 14, 2011 04:40 as a reply to  @ ShotByTom's post |  #12

I put all my camera stuff in a electronic dry box (cabinet dehumidifier) to prevent the growth of mold since I live in a tropical country now.

I used to put my camera stuff in a large camera bag before; no need a fancy safety box because all are covered by insurance.

AJ
1 x Canon 5DSR | 2 x Canon 5D2 | 8-15L | 16-35L | 17-40L (dead) | 50L | 85L | 100L | 135L | 180L | 70-200 2.8L IS
Aquatica UW Housing | INON Z240 | Ikelite DS-161 | Sola 600 | 2 x Sola 2000
My Flickr  (external link)

rusty.jg
855 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 14, 2011 04:41 as a reply to  @ ShotByTom's post |  #13

oh god, its everywhere! lenses on top of bookcase, in bookcase, some in boxes, some packed up ready for ebay in bubblewrap and cardboard, one halfway through the process. The wife has a 5D and nifty somewhere in the house. My main gear is is the messenger bag on the other desk and there's a kata waterproof enclosure drying on the back of my chair. There's a 350D and grip looking forlorn on the printing table and I'm expecting an IR converted 400D at some point today or tomorrow. Batteries for flash - I can count over 34 rechargeables from where I sit. Man I need to get organised.......

to be OR NOT to be = 1 (which is "to be" so that one's cleared up at last ;-)a)
www.VividCornwall.co.u​k (external link) (external link)
Sony Nex-5n (x2) / Metabones EF-NEX Smart Adapter / Canon 10-22mm / Canon 100mm Macro / Sigma 18-50mm

Jericobot
Cream of the Crop
5,128 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Apr 14, 2011 05:06 |  #14

Camera bag on a small end table

α7ii + (batis 25 f2 / zeiss 55 f1,8 / macro 90 f2,8)
♥ ♦ ♣ ♠

xhack
Goldmember
1,283 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Apr 14, 2011 05:30 |  #15

I'm like philwillmedia - only worse. Can you tell I'm a widower who lives on his own? I have a living room chair that is my "photography station". OK, occasionally I do put stuff away, but it's nice to just grab what I need, when I need it.

I am ashamed . . .

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i17.photobucket​.com …/hectormac/IMG_​0003-1.jpg (external link)

~ Wallace
Gear List

sponsored links

13,227 views & 0 likes for this thread
Where/How do you store your lens(es) at home?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.