Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 14 Apr 2011 (Thursday) 07:32
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

New 1d mark III

Camera ­ Nerd
935 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Apr 14, 2011 07:32 |  #1

Just got a new 1d mark III! Its in great shape with a new shutter. Man there are so many settings. Bye bye 7d, lets hope the 1d mark III could do better for me.

For all 1d mark III users is there a way to select the af point with the arrow buttons (the quick selection tool i believe its called)

Also is there a way to disable the ring of fire (automatic af point selection)?

canon 7d, canon 5d classic, 24-70 2.8 L, 70-200 2.8 (non-is) L, .
my flickr http://www.flickr.com/​photos/51827770@N04/ (external link)

sponsored links
TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
39,710 posts
Gallery: 116 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Apr 14, 2011 07:57 |  #2

You will need to read through that manual, much like the 7D. Yes, you can do all those things, but you will need to read what CF settings do what.

Unless your 7D had quality issues, you may find that there isn't a huge difference between the 7D and MK3. I found that a 7D at 6400, for example, resized to 10mpx, looks very, very close to the MK3 images. You will get a bit more DOF control back though. The 7D zone/expansion AF, for what I shoot (BIF, etc), worked seemingly as well as the 1D. You lose resolution, onboard flash, wireless flash control, movie mode, and a reduced footprint in the bag, but gain dual cards, 5 WB slots, longer battery life, more consistent and faster fps, and better weather sealing.

Congrats on the new toy though! I sold my 5D2 (wasn't using it), and have a backup MK3 coming in. I may do a back to back MK3 vs MK4 mini-review. Wish I had my 7D, that would be a great comparo.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

Camera ­ Nerd
THREAD ­ STARTER
935 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Apr 14, 2011 08:13 |  #3

TeamSpeed wrote in post #12219741 (external link)
You will need to read through that manual, much like the 7D. Yes, you can do all those things, but you will need to read what CF settings do what.

Unless your 7D had quality issues, you may find that there isn't a huge difference between the 7D and MK3. I found that a 7D at 6400, for example, resized to 10mpx, looks very, very close to the MK3 images. You will get a bit more DOF control back though. The 7D zone/expansion AF, for what I shoot (BIF, etc), worked seemingly as well as the 1D. You lose resolution, onboard flash, wireless flash control, movie mode, and a reduced footprint in the bag, but gain dual cards, 5 WB slots, longer battery life, more consistent and faster fps, and better weather sealing.

Congrats on the new toy though! I sold my 5D2 (wasn't using it), and have a backup MK3 coming in. I may do a back to back MK3 vs MK4 mini-review. Wish I had my 7D, that would be a great comparo.

Well i wasnt to impressed with the tracking performance of the 7d, and I really hated the image quality. I love my 5d classic and Im loving the new 1d.

BTW it turns out the firmware of this camera has never been updated. It was still on 1.0.9, I just got 1.3.0. The original owner was a photojournalist and I guess he was too busy to update it. The owner now uses a 5d mark II (go figure).

Camera ­ Nerd
THREAD ­ STARTER
935 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Apr 14, 2011 08:16 |  #4

Oh and btw I answered my own question about the multicontroller and selecting the af points. Because the firmware was so old, the camera didn't have the option available so I'm updating the firmware now.

Now if anyone knows how to disable the ring of fire?

Joe ­ Cyr
989 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Apr 14, 2011 08:46 |  #5

The Ring of Fire is simply one of the AF selection points available. Simply move the AF point to the center (or any one of the other points).

Canon 1D (Mark III) (Mark IV),
10d, Elan IIE (old school), 580exII
70-200 f/2.8L, 17-40 f/4L, 85 1.8, 50 1.8 (nifty)

cristphoto
Goldmember
1,043 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Apr 14, 2011 08:48 |  #6

Camera Nerd wrote in post #12219819 (external link)
Oh and btw I answered my own question about the multicontroller and selecting the af points. Because the firmware was so old, the camera didn't have the option available so I'm updating the firmware now.

Now if anyone knows how to disable the ring of fire?

To disable focus ring simply press focus selector button (+ magnifying glass icon) and then simply scroll around the focus points with the joystick. To turn ring back on simply press focus selector ring again and press joystick straight inward - not up, down, etc. Enjoy your new camera.

1DX MK II, 5D MKIV x2, 24L II, 35L II, 50L, 85LIS, 100LIS Macro, 135L, 300LIS, 16-35LIS, 24-105LIS II, 70-200LIS II, 100-400LIS II

jase1125
Goldmember
3,027 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined May 2010

Apr 14, 2011 08:53 |  #7

For me, the 1D Mark III has superior image quality than my 7D. Through the entire range of ISO options, the 1d2 appears to have more than a stop better noise performance - even in prints. The 7D is a great camera and I never really had any focus problems, but it required more effort post processing images to get quality that is quick and easy with the 1d3. If i missed ETTR on the 7D, I really paid a price. Some peoples experience may differ. Tracking is marginally better, but I never had major issues with the 7D tracking. FWIW, the 1D4 tracked better than anything I have ever used. Out of 150 shots of a baseball game, I maybe had 2 that wasn't tack sharp.

Jason

svarley
592 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 14, 2011 11:46 |  #8

I can't find these at the canon site anymore, so I put them on dropbox for your viewing enjoyment - a few PDFs about the AF custom functions... I suggest perusing them. Read the manual from front to back and then do it again in a month. :)

http://dl.dropbox.com/​u/2657063/User%20Manua​ls.zip (external link)

I borrowed a friend's 7D for a week last year and shot a bunch of sports - it's a great camera but I like my 1d3 just a little better. I don't have AF issues with either though, but 10 fps is just fun.

Camera ­ Nerd
THREAD ­ STARTER
935 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Apr 14, 2011 16:30 |  #9

jase1125 wrote in post #12219982 (external link)
For me, the 1D Mark III has superior image quality than my 7D. Through the entire range of ISO options, the 1d2 appears to have more than a stop better noise performance - even in prints. The 7D is a great camera and I never really had any focus problems, but it required more effort post processing images to get quality that is quick and easy with the 1d3. If i missed ETTR on the 7D, I really paid a price. Some peoples experience may differ. Tracking is marginally better, but I never had major issues with the 7D tracking. FWIW, the 1D4 tracked better than anything I have ever used. Out of 150 shots of a baseball game, I maybe had 2 that wasn't tack sharp.

i just shot at a baseball game tday and a tennis tournament. I have so many more in focus shots with the 1d mark III using similar af custom settings compared to the 7d. When I shot baseball the only thing I really missed that the 7d had was a longer extended field of view. When I used the 70-200 2.8 with a 1.4 tc the 1d mark III focused much much better than the 7d. I was quite happily surprised with the 1d. The only bad thing about the 1d III is the lcd is pretty much crap. So far so good!
The 7d is def going up for sale, good riddens.
However imho, for non action stuff I love the 5d classic, great image quality, and good (not great) high isos for an older camera.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
39,710 posts
Joined May 2002

Apr 14, 2011 16:34 |  #10

Camera Nerd wrote in post #12222890 (external link)
i just shot at a baseball game tday and a tennis tournament. I have so many more in focus shots with the 1d mark III using similar af custom settings compared to the 7d. When I shot baseball the only thing I really missed that the 7d had was a longer extended field of view. When I used the 70-200 2.8 with a 1.4 tc the 1d mark III focused much much better than the 7d. I was quite happily surprised with the 1d. The only bad thing about the 1d III is the lcd is pretty much crap. So far so good!
The 7d is def going up for sale, good riddens.
However imho, for non action stuff I love the 5d classic, great image quality, and good (not great) high isos for an older camera.

Would you consider taking the same shot from both cameras at the same exposure settings, just altering the FL between the two to get the same fov? It would be interesting to see how different they are.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

coolpbkid
404 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Apr 14, 2011 16:37 |  #11

Once you get used to the 1d series, you'll never wanna go back

Portfolio (external link)

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,738 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Apr 14, 2011 16:38 |  #12

Depends on which one you are talking about...:cough:MKIV:co​ugh: :lol:

Camera ­ Nerd
THREAD ­ STARTER
935 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Apr 14, 2011 16:57 |  #13

TeamSpeed wrote in post #12222917 (external link)
Would you consider taking the same shot from both cameras at the same exposure settings, just altering the FL between the two to get the same fov? It would be interesting to see how different they are.

I'll try next week. Its pretty hard with action shots as the action is always changing, and I dont have two 70-200 2.8 lenses to to use simultaneously. but i'll try.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
39,710 posts
Joined May 2002

Apr 14, 2011 17:06 |  #14

Just shoot one inning perhaps with the 7D, pitcher and batter scenes, they all start to look alike after a time anyways. :)

frizzle
430 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Apr 14, 2011 17:45 as a reply to  @ TeamSpeed's post |  #15

I have both cameras & unless my battery on the 1D is flat I barely use the 7D anymore. I shoot action, mainly motorsport & find the 1D just tracks better & I get a lot more keepers. The thing I do like about the 7D is it is easier to navigate & to change settings. But for image quality it's the 1D for me.

Canon EOS 1D Mark III * Sony Alpha A7R * Canon 70-200mm F2.8L * 400mm F5.6L * Samyang 14mm F2.8 * Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 Xr Di * Canon TS-E 24L II
MY Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

2,066 views & 0 likes for this thread
New 1d mark III
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.