Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 11 Apr 2011 (Monday) 22:23
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

workflow for a newb

ekinnyc
784 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 11, 2011 22:23 |  #1

is there a simple way to go through workflow? i shot an event for a friend, and screwed the white balance, so most pics have a yellowish tint. i have a decent spec'd laptop - 2.2ghz, 2gb ram. while it doesnt take much time to open a RAW file in DPP and make adjustments such as unsharp mask, saturation, and fix the WB, it takes a noticeable amount of time to convert to JPG (with resulting files being massive, unless i drop the quality to 2 or 3).

is there a way to process/fix these files faster?

also, whats the deal with JPEG file size and DPP export? i mean, if i bump the quality to 10, i get a jpg file thats as big as the RAW file.

6D| 35mm f/2 IS
Buying/Selling Feedback

sponsored links
tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,482 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Apr 12, 2011 01:00 |  #2

also, whats the deal with JPEG file size and DPP export? i mean, if i bump the quality to 10, i get a jpg file thats as big as the RAW file.

I think that is a matter of subjective perception, whether the jpg is big. Lets consider some objective facts: You have a 18 MP camera. Each jpg pixel carries 24 bits (3 bytes) of data. That's around 52 MB. Reasonable jpg compression gets it down to 12-13 MB. You can compress more, but more compression means less quality. How much quality you need depends on how you are using the image. A 20 x 30 print needs more than a Facebook post.

A RAW file has 14 bits per pixel, around 30 MB, but it is also compressed down to around 20 MB.

A modern RAW workflow is based on archiving only the RAW plus the editing (in DPP it is saved inside the RAW file) and making jpgs only as the need arises and deleting them after they have done their job.

Conversion time depends primarily on your system. On my XP/3.0 Ghz./2 GB computer a jpg conversion which includes resizing takes about 6 seconds. On my Win 7 64 bit/i7/8 GB laptop it is less than 2 seconds.

Elie / אלי

ekinnyc
THREAD ­ STARTER
784 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 12, 2011 06:43 |  #3

thanks, that helped. i normally shoot straight jpg @ 8mp, but for the occasion decided to go raw+jpeg. forgot that 18mp jpg is much much larger than 8mp

tzalman wrote in post #12204755 (external link)
A modern RAW workflow is based on archiving only the RAW plus the editing (in DPP it is saved inside the RAW file) and making jpgs only as the need arises and deleting them after they have done their job.

question about this..... is the RAW editing destructive? if i make changes and save them in the raw file, can i ever revert to the original RAW (lets say a month down the line)?

6D| 35mm f/2 IS
Buying/Selling Feedback

Rimmer
Goldmember
1,416 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Apr 12, 2011 07:27 |  #4

ekinnyc wrote in post #12205499 (external link)
...question about this..... is the RAW editing destructive? if i make changes and save them in the raw file, can i ever revert to the original RAW (lets say a month down the line)?

In the DPP menu: Adjustment > Revert to shot settings (Ctrl+Shift+Z).

Works in both the Edit Image Window and the Main Window.

Ace Rimmer -- "What a guy!"
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast." ;)

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Apr 12, 2011 07:29 |  #5

question about this..... is the RAW editing destructive?

It only alters metadata. But if you for instance need to boost exposure a stop, the image quality will suffer.

if i make changes and save them in the raw file, can i ever revert to the original RAW (lets say a month down the line)?

Yes.

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,482 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Apr 12, 2011 07:32 |  #6

thanks, that helped. i normally shoot straight jpg @ 8mp, but for the occasion decided to go raw+jpeg. forgot that 18mp jpg is much much larger than 8mp

question about this..... is the RAW editing destructive? if i make changes and save them in the raw file, can i ever revert to the original RAW (lets say a month down the line)?

Completely non-destructive.
The editing instructions are written into the metadata section of the file, but the image data section is never touched and the original instructions written by the camera are not overwritten. At any time you can select Adjustment/Revert to Shot Settings.

Elie / אלי

ekinnyc
THREAD ­ STARTER
784 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 12, 2011 15:48 |  #7

tzalman wrote in post #12204755 (external link)
Conversion time depends primarily on your system. On my XP/3.0 Ghz./2 GB computer a jpg conversion which includes resizing takes about 6 seconds. On my Win 7 64 bit/i7/8 GB laptop it is less than 2 seconds.

yeh, i have a macbook, C2D 2.0ghz 2gb running OS X 10.5 and it definitely feels sluggish. as soon as i try to do anything with CR2, my system slows down. im wondering if bumping to 4gb would help, but not sure how marginal the difference would be. i think the problem is the video card - its only an "NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics processor with 256MB of DDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory"

6D| 35mm f/2 IS
Buying/Selling Feedback

ekinnyc
THREAD ­ STARTER
784 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 14, 2011 09:54 |  #8

as a follow-up....

when exporting CR2 => JPG, if i export @ 300 dpi on quality 10, while preserving the image size, i will get massive JPG files. i am uploading to my friend's phanfare site, and while the site has unlimited capacity, my internet connection makes for a long overnight upload process of 300 images.

since he will most likely not be printing these images, what settings can i export at that will preserve quality, and yield reasonable size files (3mb or so)? thanks!

6D| 35mm f/2 IS
Buying/Selling Feedback

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 14, 2011 10:17 |  #9

ekinnyc wrote in post #12220319 (external link)
as a follow-up....

when exporting CR2 => JPG, if i export @ 300 dpi on quality 10, while preserving the image size, i will get massive JPG files. i am uploading to my friend's phanfare site, and while the site has unlimited capacity, my internet connection makes for a long overnight upload process of 300 images.

since he will most likely not be printing these images, what settings can i export at that will preserve quality, and yield reasonable size files (3mb or so)? thanks!

For personal/Web use, you have only to concern yourself with pixel dimensions and, as applicable, jpeg compression quality. You don't look at size (in inches) or ppi -- those things only confuse you.

So, in the DPP Convert and Save and Batch process dialogs, you slick your Resize option then make sure your units are in Pixels. and the Lock Aspect Ratio option is selected, then you will enter a max number of pixels in either dimension (for example, POTN specifies a max of 1024 in the widest dimension) for viewing. Ignore the ppi number -- it doesn't matter for Web or monitor viewing. You can set the jpeg quality to suit the file size you want -- if you are happy with 3Mb files, then you can go high quality, although for speedier uploads I'd play with, say, a quality of 7 or so.

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

ekinnyc
THREAD ­ STARTER
784 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 14, 2011 10:38 |  #10

thanks for that. i am a big proponent of having what i consider "original" images... this is a vestige from my PnS days, where i liked getting the original image from my friends' cameras, rather than save it from a photo-sharing site. now that i am the one behind an SLR, i want to be able to give my friends images that are as original as possible, so even though they are for web viewing, i want them to have the option to download a high quality original.

meaning, that normally i shoot jpeg with my camera, and id just give them those pics. since this was my first time shooting raw, i want to export the same high quality pics without compressing/resizing them too much.

am i misunderstanding resizing? meaning, will it retain the same picture size, but at lesser pixel density?

6D| 35mm f/2 IS
Buying/Selling Feedback

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 14, 2011 11:13 |  #11

Well, when you resize an image you are either "shrinking" it to a smaller dimension in pixels or you are enlarging the dimensions. So, what you are saying is that you want to upload the original image without resizing, correct?

If so, then, well, that's where you are running into the uploading slowness -- your T2i has a bunch of megapixels that will take time to upload, period:)!

The quality setting is the other variable -- lower Quality means more compression and a smaller file size, while keeping the pixel dimensions/resolution. It's a tradeoff, of course, because low quality can cause some unwanted compression artifacts, so you want to double-check things before you upload them, but there can be a fair amount of latitude there. Try, say, a quality setting of 5 and leave Resize unchecked and see what you come up with.

Like I said, the file resolution/pixel dimensions will be unchanged. What this means is that your friend will have a "huge" image to look at. To view it in a "normal" viewer it will have to be shrunk down by the viewing software, or he can view it "full size", meaning it will overflow his display. If that's what you want, then, well, whatever floats your boat:)!

Tony
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

ekinnyc
THREAD ­ STARTER
784 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 14, 2011 11:30 |  #12

i see what you mean. yeah, if i leave resize unchecked, a quality of 3 yields a 6-8MB file.

when i shoot straight jpg, i bump the MP down to 8, hence the smaller files. too bad i cannot do this with RAW.

ok, thanks for that. i will try to resize. normally i wouldnt be this anal about it, but because it was his son's 1st bday, i feel that its important to give him the best quality uploaded image.

6D| 35mm f/2 IS
Buying/Selling Feedback

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 14, 2011 11:37 |  #13

Well, shooting in mRaw/sRaw (whatever format your camera supports) will do exactly that (give you a lower resolution image out-of-camera) so if that's what you want check out those options.

I've never used one of thoses settings because for one my one camera that provides them is of an older generations so the sRaw file resolution is a tiny 4MP.

Now, if you are really interested in a smaller resolution jpeg, all you need to do is apply the appropriate figure in pixels during your Convert and Save/Batch process dialog. So if you process a Raw file and Resize to, say, 2000x3000 pixels, you now have a 6MP image. See, it ain't that complicated:)!

Tony

ekinnyc
THREAD ­ STARTER
784 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 14, 2011 11:39 |  #14

i dont believe the t2i has those options (unless im missing something). i can do either RAW or RAW+L

6D| 35mm f/2 IS
Buying/Selling Feedback

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 14, 2011 13:22 |  #15

ekinnyc wrote in post #12220993 (external link)
i dont believe the t2i has those options (unless im missing something). i can do either RAW or RAW+L

Really? I just assumed that all newer bodies could do that. Well, if not, then it's still quick and easy to just do the resize in DPP.

Tony

sponsored links

2,065 views & 0 likes for this thread
workflow for a newb
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.