Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
Thread started 25 Mar 2011 (Friday) 04:35
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Show us your rigs!

pnmd
Goldmember
1,852 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Apr 08, 2011 16:26 |  #106

HansSteinert wrote in post #12184839 (external link)
Glidecam or Steadicam Merlin?

Which should I buy? Budget is under $800.

I got the Glidecam based on Cheesycam's reviews. He started with the Merlin and ended up with Glidecam 1000 and 4000. Check out his videos, several reviews available. Just saw he reviewed the Blackbird an hour ago.. that bottom attachment looks way too long

http://vimeo.com/emmag​ination/videos (external link)

Good video on how to balance Glidecam. And def get the Pro version, easier to balance:
http://vimeo.com/15300​979 (external link)

Peter
Facebook (external link)
behind the scenes (external link)
500px (external link)

sponsored links
robtk
211 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 08, 2011 18:37 |  #107

glidecam 1000 is good size (very small) but if you want anything more than your body a lens, don't get it. i just sent mine back to exchange it for a 2000, because a 7D + tokina 11-16 + a mic in the future is over the weight limit (3lbs for the hd1000)

5Dmkii ~ Zeiss 21mm f/2.8 ~ Canon 35L

gibsonla
Goldmember
1,009 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 08, 2011 18:38 |  #108

I still can't decide between glidecam and blackbird... think I'm leaning towards the blackbird due to gimble placement

Michael L. Solomon
DP/AC/Colorist
www.SolomonM.com (external link)

pnmd
Goldmember
1,852 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Apr 08, 2011 20:01 |  #109

robtk wrote in post #12185609 (external link)
glidecam 1000 is good size (very small) but if you want anything more than your body a lens, don't get it. i just sent mine back to exchange it for a 2000, because a 7D + tokina 11-16 + a mic in the future is over the weight limit (3lbs for the hd1000)

agree, at least 2000 if you're gonna add accessories

gibsonla wrote in post #12185612 (external link)
I still can't decide between glidecam and blackbird... think I'm leaning towards the blackbird due to gimble placement

just watched the blackbird video, gimble does look nice. Not sure I like how far down the whole thing extends, may prevent you from shooting low to the ground. Also you can't attach a monitor/ accessory to the base like the Glidecam. Of course if it glides better... ;)

Peter
Facebook (external link)
500px (external link)

gibsonla
Goldmember
1,009 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 08, 2011 20:04 |  #110

I figure if I get to the stage where I'm flying or can add those sort of accessories I'd upgrade to a more expensive system anyways =p

Michael L. Solomon
DP/AC/Colorist
www.SolomonM.com (external link)

pnmd
Goldmember
1,852 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Apr 08, 2011 20:17 |  #111

gibsonla wrote in post #12186146 (external link)
I figure if I get to the stage where I'm flying or can add those sort of accessories I'd upgrade to a more expensive system anyways =p

true and price isn't bad. Post a review if you get it

Peter
Facebook (external link)
500px (external link)

Gameface
672 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 10, 2011 09:08 |  #112
bannedPermanent ban

Forgive the crappy iphone pictures. But here is my rig sans monitor as I am renting it out this weekend. It's a cheapy, but it gets the job done on the sticks and shoulder mounted.

IMAGE: http://oi53.tinypic.com/282nyvk.jpg

IMAGE: http://oi51.tinypic.com/24c6zqs.jpg

IMAGE: http://oi52.tinypic.com/20upel0.jpg

Kolor-Pikker
Goldmember
2,790 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Apr 11, 2011 06:12 |  #113

Hey guys, just got back from New York and it was a fun week there... meeting up with old friends and particularly my trip to B&H ;)

Ended up getting an SD 302 mixer that I've now bolted on to the side of my camera, audio technica 4053b hyper for indoors, Sony 7056's, rycote mount, cables & misc stuff. Ended up spending about $2200, but still not enough for everything that I'd like though... :rolleyes: oh well, next time I guess, what I have now is already a million times better than just an NTG-1 plugged into the front on the camera.

I'll probably up some photos later when I have the time. Actually, I'm surprised that I have any time to even post here since I'm just off the plane and jet lagged.

5DmkII | 24-70 f/2.8L II | Pentax 645Z | 55/2.8 SDM | 120/4 Macro | 150/2.8 IF
I acquired an expensive camera so I can hang out in forums, annoy wedding photographers during formals and look down on P&S users... all the while telling people it's the photographer, not the camera.

Kolor-Pikker
Goldmember
2,790 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Apr 12, 2011 10:17 as a reply to  @ Kolor-Pikker's post |  #114

Here's a couple shots I took. I attached the 302 to the camera using nylon strap ends I cut from an old camera strap and bolting them down to the camera, good thing there are plenty of ways to stick stuff on this camcorder!
In the future I'm thinking of recording stereo, which was the reasoning behind getting a 302 over the mixpre... and the awesome VU meter of course! Pretty sweet sound too, the AT is very quiet and with the 302 has huge dynamic range, it's nearly impossible to clip the audio with this thing. :D

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i418.photobucke​t.com …63/ThisIsHey/_M​G_2251.jpg (external link)

The NTG-1 will stay on the camera, but now I have the option of replacing it with the AT4053b if I need to gun indoors, or set it on a stand.
Don't worry about the mixer position though, from my usual shooting height the mixer is exactly where I can see and access it, and if not, the long output cables will let me bring it down if I need to. All I need now is a cable to return the monitor from the camera to the mixer, but you can get those anywhere.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i418.photobucke​t.com …63/ThisIsHey/_M​G_2250.jpg (external link)

I acquired an expensive camera so I can hang out in forums, annoy wedding photographers during formals and look down on P&S users... all the while telling people it's the photographer, not the camera.

Channel ­ One
Goldmember
1,649 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Apr 12, 2011 11:25 |  #115

Kolor-Pikker wrote in post #12206554 (external link)
Here's a couple shots I took. I attached the 302 to the camera using nylon strap ends I cut from an old camera strap and bolting them down to the camera, good thing there are plenty of ways to stick stuff on this camcorder!

If the side of that camera is reasonably flat you might consider utilizing a couple of 1 inch strips of 3M dual lock VHB hook and loop fasteners.

It works like velcro but has considerably more holding power.

Wayne

Madness takes its toll, please have exact change. (external link)

NPPA Member District 6.
SMPTE Atlanta.

Kolor-Pikker
Goldmember
2,790 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Apr 12, 2011 11:53 |  #116

Channel One wrote in post #12207015 (external link)
If the side of that camera is reasonably flat you might consider utilizing a couple of 1 inch strips of 3M dual lock VHB hook and loop fasteners.

It works like velcro but has considerably more holding power.

Wayne

Well, it is somewhat flat, but the nylon works just fine for my purposes as I don't intend to take it off-camera very often, but still need it to swing it out of the way to access the USB terminals.

Adaptive
don't defend yourself, call modday
1,018 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 14, 2011 03:41 |  #117

in for later
very interresting
:)

one2nite
436 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Apr 14, 2011 11:32 |  #118

Crazy setups

Canon 6d +70d
Canon 17-40L / Sigma 50mm 1.4 / Canon 85mm 1.8 / Canon 18-135mm / Sigma 50-150 2.8 / Canon 580 EX / Gopro / EOS M

davidfig
we over look the simplest things
3,275 posts
Joined May 2005

Apr 14, 2011 14:07 |  #119

aroundlsu wrote in post #12150514 (external link)
Yeah I know 1080p can be converted to anything but Discovery isn't stupid and knows the native format is progressive. They want native 1080i which I think is ridiculous since pretty much all TVs today are progressive but I don't make the rules.

This could be one of the most important video/photography paragraphs I have seen on POTN. We sometime need to remind ourselves that we are controlled by those how pay for our services. We are not always the masters.

Thanks for reminding us, Canon are you listening. An opportunity lost due to format. Discovery is smart enough to know a 1080p signal inside of a 1080i wrapper.

5D | 17-40L | Tammy 28-75 2.8 | 28-135 | 50/1.8 | 85/1.8 | Sony A6000 2-Lens Kit | SEL35 1.8 | EF 50 1.8 on NEX as my 75mm 1.8

mizer357
213 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 14, 2011 14:36 |  #120

here's my walk-around minimal rig. cineroid evf, mounted to a redrock microShoeClamp. lens gear with redrock nano focus lever.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

IMAGE NOT FOUND

and here's the tripod-based rig, a bit more blown out. again, cineroid evf, with redrock/really right stuff baseplate, redrock follow focus, juicedlink dt454, and sennheiser wireless receiver.

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

sponsored links

176,144 views & 9 likes for this thread
Show us your rigs!
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.