Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 14 Apr 2011 (Thursday) 16:08
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Einstein not securing modifiers

jffuerte
648 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 14, 2011 16:08 |  #1

Anyone else have this issue with their Einstein v2s? I am not sure if its both my einsteins or if I have one defective one. I'm gonna have to test this later. But on a few occasions now, I've had problems with modifiers coming loose or falling off. It's happened on a PCB Octa, Cheetah Qbox and PCB BD so I know its gotta be the light. Was wondering if anyone else has run into this problem.

-Jerel
Instagram (external link)
Fuerte Photography (external link)
Facebook (external link)
500px (external link)

sponsored links
ni$mo350
Cream of the Crop
6,011 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Apr 14, 2011 17:06 |  #2

I had this issue on a shoot this weekend until I realized I need to lock it all the way up. Hasn't fallen since then.

-Chris-Website (external link)|| (external link)Facebook (external link)|| My Flickr (external link)|| Follow me!!! 500px (external link) || (external link) 5D mkii || 35L || 70-200 f/2.8L IS MKII || My bank account hates you all :cry:

jffuerte
THREAD ­ STARTER
648 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 14, 2011 17:12 |  #3

Hmm, I'll have to check mine out later and see if I just wasn't making sure it was locked in all the way. Thanks for the response Chris.

-Jerel
Facebook (external link)
500px (external link)

jffuerte
THREAD ­ STARTER
648 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 14, 2011 17:26 |  #4

Hmm after a lil more research, I found out others had this issue before:

http://www.paulcbuff-techforum.com …t=einstein+loos​e&start=20 (external link)

And supposedly PCB was shipping black rubber bands out as a temporary solution or something?

http://www.paulcbuff-techforum.com/viewtopi​c.php?f=8&t=962#p6288 (external link)

Can't seem to find much more info after than though. Anyone?

-Jerel
Facebook (external link)
500px (external link)

sigma ­ pi
Cream of the Crop
11,204 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Apr 14, 2011 17:30 |  #5

That was for ver. 1.0

2.0 was suppose to fix that.

Don't try to confuse me with the facts, my mind is already made up.
http://www.flickr.com …6850267535/in/p​hotostream (external link)

jffuerte
THREAD ­ STARTER
648 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 14, 2011 17:32 |  #6

In the second link, tech support said:

It is only a problem with some v2 lights. We did a comparison test yesterday, and the V1's didn't budge.

Anyways, I emailed PCB, maybe its just my v2 thats defective.

-Jerel
Facebook (external link)
500px (external link)

sigma ­ pi
Cream of the Crop
11,204 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Apr 14, 2011 17:39 |  #7

jffuerte wrote in post #12223235 (external link)
In the second link, tech support said:

It is only a problem with some v2 lights. We did a comparison test yesterday, and the V1's didn't budge.

Anyways, I emailed PCB, maybe its just my v2 thats defective.

Ahhhh saw the date "Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:06 pm" and thought that was pre v2.0

Sounds like a v2.5 will be coming?

kenyee
981 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Apr 14, 2011 17:40 |  #8

sigma pi wrote in post #12223217 (external link)
That was for ver. 1.0

2.0 was suppose to fix that.

Rubberbands were for V2.0. V2.1 fixed it AFAIK...unless you're running a non-standard AB speedring that's too small...

Pentax K20D, 77Ltd, 43Ltd, Sigma 17-70, 60-250/4, crapload of Strobist gear (SB28's, RP JrX Studios, Einsteins, WL, Speedo BD, softboxes, grids, etc.)

sigma ­ pi
Cream of the Crop
11,204 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Apr 14, 2011 17:42 |  #9

kenyee wrote in post #12223284 (external link)
Rubberbands were for V2.0. V2.1 fixed it AFAIK...unless you're running a non-standard AB speedring that's too small...

Ahhhh I am behind I thought the launch was 1.0 and rubberbands were 1.1

jffuerte
THREAD ­ STARTER
648 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 14, 2011 17:44 |  #10

Nope, theyre all standard AB rings, 2 AB modifiers and an AB speedring for the Qbox. I gotta check to see if its just one of my Einsteins or both. I'm guessing it might just be 1

-Jerel
Facebook (external link)
500px (external link)

sempaidavid
890 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Apr 14, 2011 17:47 |  #11

There are many threads on the Buff forums about this. If you have the "New" V2 units you just need to make sure that the tension handle is all the way down. Basically, don't just release it and expect the springs to do all the work. By pulling it down you are seating it quite well and even heavy modifiers won't budge.

5D mkIII, 1D mkIV, Tokina 16-28 f/2.8, EF 24-70L, EF 70-200 f/2.8L II IS, EF 100-400L, EF 85 f/1.8, Sigma 50 f/1.4, EF 24-105
http://www.davidcostap​hotography.com (external link)

ni$mo350
Cream of the Crop
6,011 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Apr 14, 2011 17:47 |  #12

Yea I have a V2.1 and my large octa fell off and I threw my BD on and realized I just had to full lock it in and it was nice and snug and locked into place. I'll take a pic tonight.

-Chris-Website (external link)|| (external link)Facebook (external link)|| My Flickr (external link)|| Follow me!!! 500px (external link) || (external link) 5D mkii || 35L || 70-200 f/2.8L IS MKII || My bank account hates you all :cry:

jffuerte
THREAD ­ STARTER
648 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 14, 2011 17:49 |  #13

Hmm, yeah been reading up on more threads. That just might be my problem as described in this thread:

http://www.paulcbuff-techforum.com/viewtopi​c.php?f=8&t=1363 (external link)

-Jerel
Facebook (external link)
500px (external link)

dave_p
675 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Apr 14, 2011 21:17 |  #14

I got a non-Buff five foot octa off of eBay, and it fell off, but only fell off on ONE of my Einsteins. Buff customer service basically said "too bad so sad" but in a slightly nicer way. I sort of understand, it's not their product that's falling off, they have no idea of the quality.

Anyway, I solved the problem with the rubber band trick. Specifically, I used Bongo Ties and on the upward pointing lever I wrapped the band around the umbrella screw, and for the downward pointing lever I wrapped the band around the knob that secures the light to the stand. With that configuration the five foot octa stays on even with moderate jostling of the light. I normally let these sort of things bug me, but it's a cheap and very quick fix...so I'm simply not going to worry about it any more. Yes, I'm irritated that the design isn't better, but I now know to make sure the levers are as engaged as they can be and to use my Bongo Ties. All done.

BoneJj
Goldmember
1,269 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Apr 14, 2011 21:25 |  #15

I kind of wish PCB would have instituted a locking mechanism of some kind so that this wouldn't be an issue. like once it comes all the way up then it automatically slides into a grove that locks it into place and you just have to push it forward to unlock and then slide the lever to unmount the modifier but I guess that would have been too simple of an implementation, so naturally it wasn't done.... lol.

I had my 47" PCB octa fall off once when I was turning it on the Einstein but it was partially my fault as I was being a little ruff but still, if they had a locking ability it wouldn't have happened....

I hope that PCB decided to change their mounting system in the future to something that is a little more secure.

--Bone | FSS (external link) | flickr (external link) | Gear list (external link) |

sponsored links

3,056 views & 0 likes for this thread
Einstein not securing modifiers
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.