Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 14 Apr 2011 (Thursday) 12:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

DSLR Bubble

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,356 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Apr 14, 2011 13:28 |  #16

Regarding image quality, a P&S can get very nice looking pictures under ideal conditions. Its when the conditions are not ideal that they struggle while a DSLR with a competent photographer can still get the shot. I don't see that changing any time soon.

sponsored links
whotaketh
200 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Apr 14, 2011 13:29 |  #17

mike_d wrote in post #12221612 (external link)
But it would have a non-removable battery, a fixed lens, and only one button.

Which would make it...a disposable camera?

- 60D(w/ Zeikos grip) - 5d2 - 70-200 f2.8L IS I - 85 1.8 - Sigma 50 1.4 DG HSM - 24 1.4L II - 580EX II

banpreso
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,176 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Apr 14, 2011 13:29 |  #18

i think part of what's creating a bubble is the fact that P&S image quality is still pretty poor to satisfy a significant market category, that's why a lot of P&S shooters went DSLR. that won't be the case in the future.

yes, of course there's a real sizeable market for DSLR, but i think the long term market for DSLR is probably smaller than it is today, as future P&S eat into the marketshare of future DSLRs.

Flickr (external link)

forouza1
147 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Apr 14, 2011 13:30 |  #19

mike_d wrote in post #12221697 (external link)
Because part of being a DSLR is giving the photographer complete control over the process.

I get what your saying. :D Pro photographers would never use or consider it one and Apple would probably call it nano-iDSLR or mini-iDSLR but in the most elemental sense it could be a DSLR. ;)

Canon 5D MKIII | Canon 24-70 f/2.8L MKII | Canon 70-200 f/4L IS. My 500px (external link) porfolio. My flickr (external link) photostream.

Shockey
Goldmember
1,187 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 14, 2011 13:33 |  #20

Or maybe people will little skill and no post processing ability will begin to realize there in no point in going to the added expense of a DSLR.
They can take better pictures with the P&S they already have.

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,356 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Apr 14, 2011 13:34 |  #21

My biggest complaint against P&S cameras is the shutter lag. Ever try to shoot kids or pets with one? You'll get a picture of where something interesting was a couple of seconds ago. If they can fix that, a lot of current DSLR owners would probably ditch their kit.

djentley
386 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Apr 14, 2011 13:36 |  #22

Can't see why it won't last. Everyone in my city seems to be toiking around a D-SLR with a kit lens when they feel even mildly serious about photography.

If anything the camera market has grown in tandem with iJunk. People are spending far, far more on various, mostly unnecessary, electronic gadgets for entertainment than before; people nowadays have features on their smartphones they will never need or use, the same as if they had a DSLR, but own it mainly because the product makes a statement.

My 500px. (external link) I like action (external link) and volcanoes. (external link) Dragons (external link) and temples (external link) are fine, too!
I don't think the Earth revolves around me. It revolves around the Sun, which shines out of my ass.

spiralspirit
940 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Apr 14, 2011 13:54 |  #23

I have had several DSLRs, and recently bought a canon sx130IS. The image quality of the 130is isn't worse than I was expecting. What makes it frustrating to use is the slow focus speeds and acquisition, terribly shutter lag, etc.

canon 1dmk2* Canon XSi * Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 EX DG * Canon 17-40mm f/4L * Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 EX * Canon 50mm f/1.8 *

Agent ­ 655
98 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Apr 14, 2011 15:43 |  #24

Given that the vast majority of DSLR users I see have it permamently stuck in the Green Box mode, I would expect them to move back to the newer point and shoot offerings. I think that the only carrot that keeps them with the DSLR is the shutter lag on Point and Shoot models. Given that the newer P&S models have much less lag than before I could see a shift at some point.

RTPVid
Goldmember
3,365 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Apr 14, 2011 16:10 |  #25

As I implied above, I think there is much more to the DSLR v P&S market segmentation than any one thing. Film-based P&S had very little shutter lag, had FF or APS sensors (35mm or APS film), etc., and SLRs have had fully auto modes for years. Higher quality images have always been the SLRs advantage over P&S and it comes from many factors. In the film days, it was higher quality and faster lenses. And, for those that wanted, full control. In the digital world, those remain with the addition of larger sensors and faster camera performance (e.g. shutter lag). Sure, some of the DSLR market is driven by status, just as there are people moving back from DSLRs to P&S due to convenience. I don't see the DSLR market going away any time soon.

Tom

banpreso
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,176 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Apr 14, 2011 16:16 |  #26

RTPVid wrote in post #12222790 (external link)
I don't see the DSLR market going away any time soon.

by bubble i don't mean the market going away. i mean the DSLR market being smaller than it is now in the future.

Flickr (external link)

RTPVid
Goldmember
3,365 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Apr 14, 2011 16:23 |  #27

banpreso wrote in post #12222816 (external link)
by bubble i don't mean the market going away. i mean the DSLR market being smaller than it is now in the future.

And by DSLR market, I didn't just mean the pro market. Maybe it will get smaller, but it is more likely IMO that the P&S market will get significantly smaller due to camera phones (smart phones are already drastically shrinking the MP3 player and portable game player markets) than P&S threatening the amateur DSLR market. IMO, the threat to low end DSLRs is more likely to come from advanced ideas such as the EVIL style, where you can get fast lenses with large optics, fast camera electronics, large sensors, etc., in a smaller package because you no longer have the penta (prism/mirror) viewfinder and swinging mirror box to make room for.

Tom

ImRaptor
Goldmember
1,448 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Apr 14, 2011 18:31 |  #28

I can see DSLR taking a decline, but not because of P&S camera improving. I see them taking a decline because of technologies like Sony's translucent mirror getting better.
I honestly wont be surprised if Canon begins to migrate the Rebel line to a smaller body camera with an EF/EF-s mount that doesn't have a mirror box.
With the way things are improving having good AF when using the live view I suspect will become the "bottom" end of the DSLR market.

http://imraptor.devian​tart.com/ (external link)
Why yes, I am a jerk. Thank you for asking.

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 14, 2011 18:58 |  #29

I'd say the more interesting developments are the 4:3 systems and the EVIL systems smaller/lightweight cameras that use bigger-than-P&S sensors and also have interchangable lenses are drawing some DSLR shooter in their direction and I'd imagine a lot of people who are looking to move up from a P&S are finding these attractive.

But, for "serious hobby" people, I doubt there will be a big dent in the DSLR market. None of these developments are new -- the introduction of the film APS kits was supposedly a big useful thing for photographers but died a pretty quick death because it just didn't meet the standards of serious hobbyist and professional 35mm shooters. SLRs have an ongoing market because they fill that important place of performance and quality between "consumer" and medium format shooting. I don't see that going away soon.

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

RTPVid
Goldmember
3,365 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Apr 14, 2011 19:26 |  #30

If they can get follow focus to work, DSLRs will expand into the camcorder market.

Tom

sponsored links

4,993 views & 0 likes for this thread
DSLR Bubble
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.