Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 14 Apr 2011 (Thursday) 19:09
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Backpack Scare - Never Again

GooseberryVisuals
Goldmember
1,045 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Apr 14, 2011 19:09 |  #1

I ended up buying a backpack for my camera gear (Kata 467) a few months ago. I loved it, it was well made, comfy, and a nice size for short hikes.

Anyway, I was out for a hike and I walked under some low lying branches. One of the branches got in-between the two zippers on the back of my backpack, and as I stepped forward, the backpack opened and my camera gear fell out.

LUCKLY it fell onto some snow and not a bunch of rocks. Nothing was damaged, but the lenses and camera body surely would have broken if they fell on rocks.

After this scare, I decided that I never wanted this to happen again, and started using a "real" hiking backpack when out for hikes, similar to this: http://www.rei.com/pro​duct/797504 (external link)

This ever happen to anyone else? With the popularity of photo backpacks, I'd be surprised if it hasn't.

sponsored links
QueenChatty
Goldmember
2,178 posts
Joined May 2009

Apr 14, 2011 19:15 |  #2

That was pretty much a fluke I'd say, mine has a built in rain cover which I always use and that solves that problem because it covers the zipper.
Thank goodness your gear did not get damaged tho!

5D MarkII | 50D Canon 17-40mm|55-250 | 60mm Macro | 50mm 1.4 | 24-105L IS | 580EXII | 70-200L F2.8 IS II | Ultra Zap 800 |StarFlash 300 X2 | AB 400X 2 Flickr  (external link)

Csae
Goldmember
3,350 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Apr 14, 2011 19:17 |  #3

No...

That has never happened to me.... My backpack also has side straps in addition to the zippers... i also have a habit of tucking the zippers away behind one of the straps so that someone wouldn't be able to open the backpack without me noticing while walking around.

That being said, for long hikes, i wouldn't want your backpack, much much too big. For camping i'd love it.

Feel free to call me Case.
CasePhoto.ca (external link) - FanPage (external link)
-Montreal based Photography.

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,314 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 14, 2011 19:18 |  #4

Never keep your zippers at the top of the arc on your packs; run them all the way down to one side or the other. I had the weight of my gear pull one open because I would "top" the zippers before leaving the house.

I'd also recommend looking into the F-Stop Gear bags; their mountain series packs are designed explicitly for this type of usage: http://fstopgear.com/ (external link)

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

klr.b
Goldmember
2,509 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Apr 14, 2011 19:41 |  #5

Snydremark wrote in post #12223840 (external link)
Never keep your zippers at the top of the arc on your packs; run them all the way down to one side or the other. I had the weight of my gear pull one open because I would "top" the zippers before leaving the house.

+1
This is a lesson I learned in high school while carrying heavy books. Sometimes the weight of the contents does it. Sometimes a zipper fails. Sometimes your friends want to mess around with you. :lol: :mad: :lol:

gordon
Gear and Feedback

Eileen
176 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Apr 14, 2011 19:47 |  #6

Nope, never happened to me. I use the LowePro Primus as my photo/crag/day hike bag I use "real" backpacks for my multi-day backpacking trips.

Graphic Designer / Photographer
Canon 60D, Canon 450D - Lenses covering 10mm to 300mm, 580 EX II and 420 EX flashes, Lightroom, Photoshop, Illustrator, Dreamweaver

Hillbille
528 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Apr 14, 2011 20:41 as a reply to  @ Eileen's post |  #7

Simple Solution - For ANY bag or backpack zipper security simply use a Cotter Pin or a large SAFETY pin passed through the zipper key and also through the bag. Double zippers can be secured from UN zipping by simply pinning then together in this manner. One will unzip but the other will rezip.

Cotter pins can be had at almost any hardware store or auto supply in many size ranges and of course safety pins may be purchased almost anywhere in many sizes.

Hillbille

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Rebel T2i, XS, Rebel T3; EF-S 70 - 300mm non L; EF-S 55 - 250mm; 50mm 1.8; 18 - 55 kit; YN-560; YN-468 - Pure Fun and Raw excitement.

wookiee2cu
614 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Apr 14, 2011 21:20 |  #8

Go to a hardware store and pick up a small carabiner to loop through both zipper holes. What happened to you was a fluke.

argyle
Cream of the Crop
8,187 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Apr 14, 2011 21:25 as a reply to  @ wookiee2cu's post |  #9

No need to buy anything...simply place the zippers at the bottom.

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son". - Dean Wormer

GEAR LIST

supraman2133
118 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Apr 14, 2011 21:33 |  #10

If you're gonna get the Altra, you should try it out at the store. I ordered mine and had to return it because the hip belt is extremely stiff. The rotating plate dug into my back really hard. I ended up with the Bora 80 and it's way better. Quality and build is better. The one down size is it's really heavy, (7lbs?) http://www.moosejaw.co​m …028304_10208_10​000001_-1_ (external link)

Gear List + Feedback

EchoLocation
102 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Apr 15, 2011 00:33 |  #11

whenever i travel, especially in crowded places I always use a tiny little carabiner to clip together the two zipper loops on my bag. This makes it much more difficult for someone(or thing) to open the bag without your permission. I learned this after having someone try to sneak their hand in my bag in Colombia in broad daylight on a crowded street.

Canon 5D, Canon 550D, 24-105 F4L, Sigma 50mm 1.4, 550EX

GwagDesigns
299 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Apr 15, 2011 01:37 |  #12

When I hike and feel like carrying an SLR, I use my Lowepro Flipside 200. While its a bit small and wish I had gone with the 300, its nice in that it only opens from the rear, the part thats always against your back. no chance of anything falling out.

[7D] - [GF1 w/14mm f2.5] - 70-200f4L | 50mm f1.2L | Sigma 10-20 | Sigma 105 f2.8 | Sigma 18-50 f2.8[U]
davehintzphoto.com (external link) | Twitter (external link) | "Like" Me (external link) on FaceBook

MR ­ do ­ little
Goldmember
2,399 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Apr 15, 2011 01:50 |  #13
bannedPermanent ban

The zipper problem is an easy fix, i had a similar experience a few years back though. I had my lowepro backpack on while riding a XC trail (mountainbike) and all of sudden i peddling but got no where so i peddled harder just to find out the top handle on the backpack had catch on to a branch and made me peddle harder to the point i flew of the bike like a slingshot... LOL

Regards
Paul L.

TuanTime
759 posts
Joined May 2009

Apr 15, 2011 09:07 as a reply to  @ MR do little's post |  #14

Another +1 on the running the zippers down to one side, you NEVER want to leave the zippers at the top.

Andrew_WOT
Goldmember
1,418 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Apr 15, 2011 09:21 |  #15

GwagDesigns wrote in post #12225799 (external link)
When I hike and feel like carrying an SLR, I use my Lowepro Flipside 200. While its a bit small and wish I had gone with the 300, its nice in that it only opens from the rear, the part thats always against your back. no chance of anything falling out.

Go for 400, you wouldn't regret it, it's sooo much more comfortable.

sponsored links

2,884 views & 0 likes for this thread
Backpack Scare - Never Again
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.