Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
Thread started 15 Apr 2011 (Friday) 15:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

NHL Shot going up in local restaurants

Drewc2010
Goldmember
1,369 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Apr 15, 2011 15:39 |  #1

Hey guys,

Just got word yesterday that the owner of Rudino's Sports Grills in the Raleigh, NC area (decent sized sports restaurants) ran across this picture of Eric Cole of the Carolina Hurricanes and contacted me. He is actually good friends with Eric and has asked me for 5 prints of the photo. (1 for me autographed, one for Eric to keep, and one for each of his restaurants in the Raleigh area)

I am absolutely stoked to have this happen! At 19, I'm just starting to get my foot in the door and I love photography! Thanks for stopping and please CC on the picture are more than welcome!

IMAGE: http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5262/5602507589_f91c7f49db_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …/31268598@N07/5​602507589/  (external link)
Eric Cole Fly's (external link) by Drew Carter Photography (external link), on Flickr

Edited again, think this one came out much better, thank you Darsk47 for the tips and "process" help for a noobie like me! :thumbsup:
IMAGE: http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5103/5627780391_9c16bd1cc8_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …/31268598@N07/5​627780391/  (external link)
Eric Cole (external link) by Drew Carter Photography (external link), on Flickr

Drew

My Gear:
Canon 1D Mark III / Canon 60D / Tokina 12-24 f/4 / Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 VC / Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 VC / Canon 300 f/4L / Canon 50 f/1.8 /
Facebook Page: facebook.com/drewcphot​ography (external link)

sponsored links
Alan ­ Dye
596 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Apr 15, 2011 16:00 |  #2

How about $$$?

Canon 7D, Canon 40D
Tokina 28-70 AT-X 287 Pro SV,Sigma 120-300 f2.8 HSM EX, Sigma 70-200 f2.8 HSM EX

Darsk47
Goldmember
4,261 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jul 2006

Apr 16, 2011 08:44 |  #3

Congrats.

Level your horizon and crop it tighter. I think you can PP a bit for the lighting and to make it pop more. There's a couple of basic fixes you should make on it before you post it in restaurants with your name on it.

As it looks currently, it appears you got lucky on a capture from the stands.

cheers.

Darcy
5DIII, 7D, 30D, 24-70 2.8IIL, 85MM 1.2 II
L; 70-200 2.8L IS; 580EX II; a hearty laugh;
Pair of AB 800s & lots of other stuff 'n' junk.
POTN Fantasy Football; aka Wide Right (charter member & perennial also ran)

essvee
115 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Apr 16, 2011 13:26 |  #4

Darsk47 wrote in post #12233187 (external link)
Congrats.

Level your horizon and crop it tighter. I think you can PP a bit for the lighting and to make it pop more. There's a couple of basic fixes you should make on it before you post it in restaurants with your name on it.

cheers.

The horizon *IS* level (notice the glass stanchions are perpendicular to the frame.

This is a common issue with hockey rink pics. Do you level the 'visual' horizon or work with the real one. Unless the shot is directly across the rink, the boards are going to be at an angle. It's a case-by-case thing and I generally prefer the stanchions to be perpendicular. That's my $.02.

I agree with tightening the shot and dialing in a little fill light and contrast.

Most of all, congrats on the recognition. It's a great shot!

Drewc2010
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,369 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Apr 16, 2011 13:49 |  #5

Alan Dye wrote in post #12229604 (external link)
How about $$$?

Not sure yet, but I am not expecting any thing other than to be allowed to have my name put on the frame for recognition.

Darsk47 wrote in post #12233187 (external link)
Congrats.

cheers.

Thank you for the congrats. What would you suggest to make it pop more in PP?

And in sports photography, a lot of times its all about being lucky and just having the timing to know when you have a better opportunity of "getting lucky"

essvee wrote in post #12234456 (external link)
The horizon *IS* level (notice the glass stanchions are perpendicular to the frame.

This is a common issue with hockey rink pics. Do you level the 'visual' horizon or work with the real one. Unless the shot is directly across the rink, the boards are going to be at an angle. It's a case-by-case thing and I generally prefer the stanchions to be perpendicular. That's my $.02.

I agree with tightening the shot and dialing in a little fill light and contrast.

Most of all, congrats on the recognition. It's a great shot!

After shooting this whole season I realize exactly what your talking about and its all about the angle of where your shooting from and where the players are. I will do some PP and post up another edition.

Thanks everyone!

My Gear:
Canon 1D Mark III / Canon 60D / Tokina 12-24 f/4 / Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 VC / Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 VC / Canon 300 f/4L / Canon 50 f/1.8 /

Darsk47
Goldmember
4,261 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Apr 16, 2011 16:10 |  #6

essvee wrote in post #12234456 (external link)

It is not level. Yes it is common mistake to not level the shots in PP if you are not level to begin with - as in the original shot here.

I don't know what you mean by the visual horizon or the real one. The 'horizon' in this shot is the top of the boards. Given the angle of the shot, if they're straight, the stanchions will be vertical too.

This shot is taken from directly across the rink just above the faceoff circle, no curved boards here.

Look at this adjustment. Now it is level.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Darcy

Darsk47
Goldmember
4,261 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Apr 16, 2011 16:15 |  #7

More on this topic:

Look at this:

The verticals and horizontals of this gate opening in the boards are true. What little you can see of the stanchions are true and the blue dasher board is horizontal. Much more pleasing than having the skaters going downhill to the left.

I often use the crop box for vertical plumb - you can see the lines of the gate opening are parallel to the lines of the crop box.

HOSTED PHOTO

Darcy

muls
445 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Apr 16, 2011 16:19 |  #8

Darsk47 is 100% correct, just an fyi, your PP shot you posted looks like the whites are blown out a bit to me...good capture, I would crop much tighter on it if you can...

Ed

Ed Mulholland
Website/Blog (external link)
Photoshelter Archives (external link)
Sportshooter Page (external link)
Twitter: @muls96

Darsk47
Goldmember
4,261 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Apr 16, 2011 16:24 |  #9

Drewc2010 wrote in post #12234560 (external link)
Thank you for the congrats. What would you suggest to make it pop more in PP?

And in sports photography, a lot of times its all about being lucky and just having the timing to know when you have a better opportunity of "getting lucky"

You blew out the ice second time around. So no, not good.

Try this:
level it
crop it
lighten the shadows a whisker
check your WB
saturate the colour a bit
apply a USM .....maybe 105, 1.0, 5

Luck? yeah. You were obviously a fan with a camera here first, so the fact that your shot is going to have the legs to get posted in a few restaurants...yeah that's lucky.

Darcy

jcpoulin
Goldmember
2,447 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Apr 16, 2011 16:27 |  #10

Congrats on the picture!

Agree with Darcy...the re-adjustment of horizon is better.

As far as hockey shot....he is tripping chasing a puck.....he may not be overly pleased at the action. But it's crisp! Nice action shot.

1DX , 7D,16-35, 24-70 2.8II, 2.8L II, , 70-200 f2.8LII IS, 300 f2.8L IS, 500 f4 IS, 100-400L, Canon 100 2.8 macro, Canon 1.4X, 580ex, AB800X4
Canon CPS Member, PPA
www.capturingtimephoto​graphy.net (external link)

Alan ­ Dye
596 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Apr 16, 2011 16:29 |  #11

OP- Congrats on the shot!

Now if you have someone interested in displaying your work, then it has value. You spent $$$ on your equipment, your time is worth $$$ and your Photo is worth $$$. Doesn't matter if your 19 or 90, don't start giving away your work for just recognition! 1st rule of becoming a pro...Get Paid for All your work!! We've all been where you are...

Also, listen to the voice of experiance, Darsk is correct about the horizon. Little advice like his make a Big Differance in the end product. Customers will notice.

Good Luck!

Canon 7D, Canon 40D
Tokina 28-70 AT-X 287 Pro SV,Sigma 120-300 f2.8 HSM EX, Sigma 70-200 f2.8 HSM EX

dmwierz
Goldmember
2,376 posts
Joined May 2005

Apr 16, 2011 22:57 |  #12

Using the dasher as a horizontal reference point will frequently yield incorrect result, as it can and will be fooled by viewing angle perspective and by curves in the boards. Much more reliable are vertical references, like glass stanchions, vertical seams in the boards, door jams, post on the goal, etc.

Whether the OP cares or not is another matter, but as seen below, the image is approximately 1.5 degrees off horizontal, and this was clear to me on first viewing. In other words, it's off enough to be noticeable to me, and others.

HOSTED PHOTO

http://www.denniswierz​bicki.com (external link)
http://www.sportsshoot​er.com/dmwierz (external link)

Dennis "
Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand."

essvee
115 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Apr 17, 2011 11:19 |  #13

Darsk47 wrote in post #12235280 (external link)
More on this topic:

[edit]

I often use the crop box for vertical plumb - you can see the lines of the gate opening are parallel to the lines of the crop box.

Yep, you're right. I looked at this too quickly on a small screen the first time. :o

I do the same. In my case I grab the alignment tool in LR and pick a seam in the boards or glass. I use the vertical as my primary alignment reference.

Drewc2010
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,369 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Apr 17, 2011 12:44 |  #14

Darsk47 wrote in post #12235323 (external link)
You blew out the ice second time around. So no, not good.

Try this:
level it
crop it
lighten the shadows a whisker
check your WB
saturate the colour a bit
apply a USM .....maybe 105, 1.0, 5

Luck? yeah. You were obviously a fan with a camera here first, so the fact that your shot is going to have the legs to get posted in a few restaurants...yeah that's lucky.

Thank you for the tips I will try again, still getting used to PP.

Also I would appreciate if you leave your thoughts about me and what I use my camera for out of this thread. I understand your view but I was not talking about luck on my part just the luck of the timing of the shot. So instead of offending someone who has worked all season on NHL photography, worked with numerous players, worked with a carolina hurricanes sports writer, and now will have a picture going up in Raleigh area sports bars I am proud of this moment so lets not take a jab at me starting out. I'm sure you started out at one point in your career too.

Drew

My Gear:

Drewc2010
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,369 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Apr 17, 2011 12:46 |  #15

Also, everyone thank you for the kind congratulations and advice. I love this website and the advice it gives and I'm glad I finally stumbled upon it.

Drew

My Gear:

sponsored links

6,727 views & 0 likes for this thread
NHL Shot going up in local restaurants
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.