Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 16 Apr 2011 (Saturday) 01:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Watermark help

Soda-Pop
539 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 16, 2011 01:47 |  #1

So, i have my watermark now, but its really annoying and kills the photo.

(See here)

IMAGE: http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5225/5590855339_41be01aea4.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …/60949814@N07/5​590855339/  (external link)
Underneath it All (external link) by WLSphotography (external link), on Flickr

And I'd like to know how to make something like this (banner style) one down below
(Slightly visible background, and completely transparent lettering)

http://1.bp.blogspot.c​om …s400/custom_wat​ermark.jpg (external link)

I've got Photoshop CS5 and would LOVE to have somebody give me a quick tutorial on how to create something like in the second photo.

Thanks!

I am 17 years old! One of the young'ins!
--
Gear: 5D mark II, 24-105 f/4L IS USM, a bazillion ThinkTank bags. (Guess who's papa works there? :P)

sponsored links
obkcaptain
159 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2010

Apr 16, 2011 02:51 |  #2

Using PS is simply
use two layer...
one for the pic
another one for the watermark and reduce opacity

or...
design your watermark
save it as a brush
when needed, use this brush (in a different layer ir order to modify)

A Canon gear, some lenses, mono(tri)pod, flash and need to learn...

Soda-Pop
THREAD ­ STARTER
539 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 16, 2011 13:22 |  #3

Yes I know how to apply it and stuff, im wondering how to MAKE IT. Not apply it. What ive tried so far:

"New" - 1000 x 300
Made the backgrounds opacity 0%
Took the text tool and wrote my text
"New layer"
Took the rectangular marquee tool and applied it around the text
Filled in the marquee area with black / changed opacity down to 40%
Clicked back to the text layer and used the magic wand to select all the text
Tried deleting the text and couldn't do it.

Im trying to get a banner style watermark like the picture of the dog.

--
Gear: 5D mark II, 24-105 f/4L IS USM, a bazillion ThinkTank bags. (Guess who's papa works there? :P)

Lancef
76 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Apr 16, 2011 13:33 |  #4

One layer make the white bar, another layer put your black test and then use the opacity to turn it down, or change the layer style to make overlay.

Canon 5D Mark iii 24-105 F/4 iS, 55 F/1.2,Sigma 70-200 2.8
Flickr (external link)

Soda-Pop
THREAD ­ STARTER
539 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 16, 2011 14:32 |  #5

YES! I did it!

Ignore the top watermark, i just grabbed an image and threw this thing on here... What do you think?

IMAGE: http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5223/5624822755_b607150814.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …/60949814@N07/5​624822755/  (external link)
TEST! (external link) by WLSphotography (external link), on Flickr

--

Soda-Pop
THREAD ­ STARTER
539 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 16, 2011 14:48 |  #6

And the reverse colors:

IMAGE: http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5025/5625452700_eb0df93a4b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …/60949814@N07/5​625452700/  (external link)
test 2 (external link) by WLSphotography (external link), on Flickr

--

Soda-Pop
THREAD ­ STARTER
539 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 16, 2011 14:48 |  #7

the final images wont have my old watermark, this was just to show the finished product..

BIG props LanceF

--

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Apr 17, 2011 10:49 |  #8

Why not use the Adobe Watermark Panel? http://russellbrown.co​m/scripts.html (external link)

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

HappySnapper90
Cream of the Crop
5,145 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Apr 17, 2011 11:27 |  #9

Ok, there's another issue here. I see you are 15 and probably don't have a real business being WLS Photography. When I search for WLS photography nothing comes back related to your photography. What's the purpose of having a watermark if it's just for fun?

Do you have a website? If so it would be better to have your watermark include your website address otherwise who is going to find you if they see your watermark as it now exists? Maybe only your friends that know about you with your camera. And really the images are probably (C) "you" and not the WLS Photography, right?

Soda-Pop
THREAD ­ STARTER
539 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 17, 2011 15:33 |  #10

René Damkot wrote in post #12239134 (external link)
Why not use the Adobe Watermark Panel? http://russellbrown.co​m/scripts.html (external link)

Ill give it a go.

HappySnapper90 wrote in post #12239307 (external link)
Ok, there's another issue here. I see you are 15 and probably don't have a real business being WLS Photography. When I search for WLS photography nothing comes back related to your photography. What's the purpose of having a watermark if it's just for fun?

Do you have a website? If so it would be better to have your watermark include your website address otherwise who is going to find you if they see your watermark as it now exists? Maybe only your friends that know about you with your camera. And really the images are probably (C) "you" and not the WLS Photography, right?

Uhm? First of all. Many people in my town not just friends and family, but legit businesses are interested in my work. Im not a professional, nor do I work for certain people.

I have a flickr if you want to call that a website, but im thinking of having my mom make me a site (she owns a website design company) so my name's really out there.

More or less, the ©wlsphotography symbol is just so people see that the photo is MINE, and shouldnt take it...

Im basically experimenting and having fun. Nothing serious

--

ssim
POTN Landscape & Cityscape Photographer 2005
10,884 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Apr 18, 2011 01:58 as a reply to  @ Soda-Pop's post |  #11

There is no real shortage of ways to accomplish what you want. It is somewhat dependent on your proficiency level in photoshop. Here and elsewhere on the net is filled with various methods of doing this. If you liked your original text did you try using layer styles to make it less "in your face". There is alot of power in using layer styles and you can make anything look pretty much any way you want. If you are doing this alot I would use paths to create your text and build this all in an action. That is what I do and it is then possible to run it on hundreds of images at a time and walk away from your computer to come back and find the jpg's sitting in a folder ready for uploading.

My life is like one big RAW file....way too much post processing needed.
Sheldon Simpson | My Gallery (external link) | My Gear updated: 20JUL12

sponsored links

2,548 views & 0 likes for this thread
Watermark help
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.