Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 05 Apr 2011 (Tuesday) 17:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Cooling for LGA1155??

flash69
315 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 08, 2011 19:32 |  #16

Prolimatech Megahalems Rev B will fit perfectly on an 1155. I use mine with my 2500k and Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD4-B3. I have 2 Noctua fans running in a push/pull config.

I am running a tonymac hack with a base multiplier of 32 (3.2GHz) with turbo set at 42 (4.2GHz). I have run several tests and cannot even feel the cooler get warm. Much better over my pervious q6600 running at 3.4.

Rest of the system specs are 8 GB of RAM waiting on my 4th 4GB stick (next week) for a total of 16 GB of RAM. I am still waiting on the SSD to use so right now I have a 1 TB WD 7200rpm drive. My geekbench scores are 10850. I know there is more to get out of this CPU however I have to wait on Gigabyte to fix the 32x multiplier issue.

Canon 7D w/BG-E7 grip
EF 24-105mm f/4L IS | EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II
580EX

sponsored links
*sigh*
Hardware Master (or something like that)
25,047 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Apr 08, 2011 20:05 |  #17

flash69 wrote in post #12185961 (external link)
Prolimatech Megahalems Rev B will fit perfectly on an 1155. I use mine with my 2500k and Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD4-B3. I have 2 Noctua fans running in a push/pull config.

That's a pretty wide cooler. The fan on the heatsink doesn't get in the way of the Memory slots at all? Do you have a picture of your setup?

MrAl wrote in post #12185474 (external link)
Got the cooler this afternoon and it fit. Just looking at it I thought I would have to mount it so the far would have to pull but it worked out ok mounting it correctly and there's just room for 1 sheet of this paper to move freely between the RAM and the cooler fan. 2 sheets will not fit! I'll put a load on it in a day or so to allow the thermal paste to cure but at idle the temps have dropped 12C, a good sign!

Thanks for the picture. When you mean 1 sheet of paper fits between the ram and the fan, does it fit between the bottom of the fan (so horizontally compared to the board) or between the front of the fan and the heatsink (so vertically)?

-Nick | Gear | Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link)

fotocrack
194 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Apr 09, 2011 11:54 |  #18

Here are some pictures of the Corsair A70. There is enough room for me to fit a finger between the ram and cooler.

IMAGE: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4096/5603046337_042bc4cc3f_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …/33155698@N03/5​603046337/  (external link)
_MG_0440 (external link) by tjkanesf (external link), on Flickr

and a picture of my case open

IMAGE: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4108/5603046643_c064478c25_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …/33155698@N03/5​603046643/  (external link)
_MG_0445 (external link) by tjkanesf (external link), on Flickr

5DM3 lover :cool: //My custom build computer //My Feedback
PLEASE DONATE TO YOUR LOCAL FOOD BANKS AND LOCAL CHARITIES

*sigh*
25,047 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Apr 09, 2011 14:48 |  #19

Ah thanks fotocrack, that may work.. the Corsair Vengeance coolers are so ridiculously tall though :/

The Dark Knight should be more than sufficient though.

fotocrack
194 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Apr 09, 2011 17:24 |  #20

*sigh* wrote in post #12190156 (external link)
Ah thanks fotocrack, that may work.. the Corsair Vengeance coolers are so ridiculously tall though :/

The Dark Knight should be more than sufficient though.

No problem. Just make sure you can put both fans on the cooler. My case has a fan in the front, top and one in the back so it creates a nice airflow. My computer stays very cooler even after hours of usage.

*sigh*
25,047 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Apr 09, 2011 18:25 |  #21

fotocrack wrote in post #12190740 (external link)
No problem. Just make sure you can put both fans on the cooler. My case has a fan in the front, top and one in the back so it creates a nice airflow. My computer stays very cooler even after hours of usage.

For most setups one fan is more than sufficient, Sandy Bridge chips run cool too.

The Pull fan is no problem anyway, the front fan is the only one I was concerned about anyway.

Thanks.

tim
Light Bringer
50,935 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Apr 10, 2011 02:07 |  #22

That's a pretty nice cooler setup. I hope it's set up to expel air out the back, not fight the back fan.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

*sigh*
25,047 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Apr 10, 2011 20:08 |  #23

tim wrote in post #12192870 (external link)
That's a pretty nice cooler setup. I hope it's set up to expel air out the back, not fight the back fan.

Yeah, it is. You can tel by looking at the fans, typically the braces that go into the middle and hold the fan motor and blades are on the side that the air is coming out of.

So the side of the fan that is free of those braces is the "intake" side of the fan.

fotocrack
194 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Apr 12, 2011 11:10 |  #24

tim wrote in post #12192870 (external link)

Yep The setup pulls air in from the front and the top, the cooler has a pull in in the front and one in the back pushing out. The fans in the back pushes out. The case has also small holes to make the whole set up very open. I love this case.

ProwlingTiger
449 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Apr 12, 2011 19:12 |  #25

fotocrack wrote in post #12206898 (external link)
Yep The setup pulls air in from the front and the top, the cooler has a pull in in the front and one in the back pushing out. The fans in the back pushes out. The case has also small holes to make the whole set up very open. I love this case.

What case are you using? Looks very polished and pretty.

Something will be here later...

fotocrack
194 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Apr 13, 2011 13:07 |  #26

ProwlingTiger wrote in post #12209894 (external link)
What case are you using? Looks very polished and pretty.

The case is a Cooler Master HAF 932 W3. Very sexy case. It is big and offers a lot of room for all your components. I think it is very future proof. You can remove both panels, has 6 5.25 bays and you can stick 5 drives in the front. I have the USB 3.0 bay installed with no issues in the front along with a bluray burner.

ProwlingTiger
449 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Apr 13, 2011 13:17 |  #27

fotocrack wrote in post #12214670 (external link)
The case is a Cooler Master HAF 932 W3. Very sexy case. It is big and offers a lot of room for all your components. I think it is very future proof. You can remove both panels, has 6 5.25 bays and you can stick 5 drives in the front. I have the USB 3.0 bay installed with no issues in the front along with a bluray burner.

Cool I'll be sure and keep that in mind. I recently made a nice build with the Antec Three Hundred case so I doubt I'll be building another soon, but my father is looking to make a new build later in the month. I might recommend this case to him.

Something will be here later...

*sigh*
25,047 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Apr 13, 2011 14:28 |  #28

ProwlingTiger wrote in post #12214742 (external link)
Cool I'll be sure and keep that in mind. I recently made a nice build with the Antec Three Hundred case so I doubt I'll be building another soon, but my father is looking to make a new build later in the month. I might recommend this case to him.

I've never personally used one, but I've heard great things about the HAF 932 and the HAF X 942, and from what I've seen both are excellent cases. Can't go wrong witha HAF.

datadump
Goldmember
1,932 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Apr 16, 2011 12:58 |  #29

how fast can u clock these 2600k on oem cooler anyway? tempted.

datadump

*sigh*
25,047 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Apr 16, 2011 15:19 |  #30

datadump wrote in post #12234322 (external link)
how fast can u clock these 2600k on oem cooler anyway? tempted.

If you are buying a 2600k, invest in an aftermarket cooler.

As for how fast can you clock it, it really depends on your setup, but with good aftermarket cooling a lot of people get then up around 4.5ghz with not too much difficulty, but like I said, it really varies depending on the setup.

sponsored links

6,125 views & 0 likes for this thread
Cooling for LGA1155??
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.