Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 17 Apr 2011 (Sunday) 10:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

iPad. How much photo storage are you using?

mdd770
155 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Apr 17, 2011 10:43 |  #1

I am looking at getting an ipad 2, but do you need 16,32, or 64 of storage?

I am thinking 32 or 64. I know that photos will be all converted to jpeg to sync,
but how much room is everyone using for this?
I'm not planning on using it for any tv shows or movies at all.

Thanks.

Canon 5d Mark II, Canon S95.
Lightroom 5, CS6, various plugins.

sponsored links
Mjolnir
175 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 17, 2011 11:07 |  #2

Ive got the 32gb Ipad 1. I have about 3 gb worth of photos on it. Only when i download direct from the camera into the i-pad i fill it up some more. Never had more then 10gb on it.

www.toeterphotography.​blogspot.com (external link)
Flickr. (external link)
365 project. (external link)
Eos 7D, 300mm F/2.8 L IS, 100-400L, 24-105L, 70-200L II IS USM, Sigma 150mm OS, Sigma 10-20mm, Canon 60mm Macro, Canon 50mm F/1.8.

SYS
Cream of the Crop
8,968 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2004

Apr 17, 2011 12:26 |  #3

I have 32gb and about 3 gb worth of photos, also. I don't do any direct download from the camera. Only the selective and resized jpeg images (about 2,500) for "gallery" purposes. If you're planning on using the iPad for photo storage purposes, you'd do better with alternative solutions. For the purposes for which I made the purchase decision on the 32, I'm very happy with it.

"Life is short, art is long..."
-Goethe
My Gear & DIYs

Bananahands
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Apr 17, 2011 16:30 |  #4

I'm totally new to photography (just bought my first dslr, a t2i, 2 days ago) but just for general iPad use, my 16g iPad 2 is over half full without any pictures on it at all. If I could do it again, I'd buy the 32g minimum.

tgara
Goldmember
2,336 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 17, 2011 16:35 as a reply to  @ SYS's post |  #5

I think the iPad is a great storage device for photos IF you are shooting JPGs and IF your camera takes an SD card. The iPad will provide sufficient power to the SD card so that the photos can be downloaded to the iPad memory (using the Camera Connection kit). As JPGs, they don't take up a ton of storage space either.

However, if you shoot RAW and/or have a camera that takes CF cards, using the iPad is a lot more difficult if not impossible. While the iPad will display RAW images, the memory is too small for many of the high MB camera RAW files. Aside from the HyperDrive iPad Hard Drive (http://www.hypershop.c​om …asing-Only-p/iphd-000.htm (external link) ) there are no mass storage solutions for the iPad, and that causes a serious limitation for its use as a storage device for travel, etc. if you shoot RAW. CF card support ( http://store.micgadget​.com …amera-connection-kit.html (external link) ) is iffy at best, and not officially supported by Apple.

I'd love to use an iPad as a storage device, but in it's current form and without mass storage capability, it's really not the ideal solution. You should either go with a netbook computer (e.g., a MacBook Air) with a USB powered hard drive like the G-Tech G-Drive Slim ( http://www.g-technology.com/product​s/g-drive-slim.cfm (external link) ) or with a photoviewer like the Epson P-7000. Cloud storage may also be an alterative, but I've not looked into it in detail yet. I better get cracking, because I'm leaving for Arches NP, the Grand Canyon, Sedona, and Phoenix in a month! :-o

EOS 5D Mark III
EOS Rebel SL1
Full Gear List

Bob_A
Cream of the Crop
8,438 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Jan 2005

Apr 20, 2011 23:25 |  #6

SYS wrote in post #12239576 (external link)
I have 32gb and about 3 gb worth of photos, also. I don't do any direct download from the camera. Only the selective and resized jpeg images (about 2,500) for "gallery" purposes. If you're planning on using the iPad for photo storage purposes, you'd do better with alternative solutions. For the purposes for which I made the purchase decision on the 32, I'm very happy with it.

I do the same. I have about ten times more music on my iPad than photos.

Also agree that there are much better options than an iPad for image storage. I'd rather buy more CF cards than waste time dumping Raw files to an iPad then retrieving them back to my PC.

Bob
SmugMug (external link) | My Gear Ratings | My POTN Gallery

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,636 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 20, 2011 23:35 |  #7

When buying a device you can't easily add memory too, buy it with the max. In the case of the IPad, doubling the amount of space on the thing doesn't increase the price significantly. Mine has 64gb, if they offered it with 128 I'd have gotten it.

ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,884 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Apr 21, 2011 00:29 |  #8

:( Sadly, none.... Because I dont have an iPad yet.

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

kokakaste2
Goldmember
3,546 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 21, 2011 02:36 |  #9

ben_r_ wrote in post #12264179 (external link)
:( Sadly, none.... Because I dont have an iPad yet.

+1, still on the waiting list as its sold out everywhere :s (waiting for the 32gb one)

Oskar (Oscar) - stuff I use- Flickr (external link) - My Facebook page (external link) :)

pprice
Goldmember
1,714 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Apr 21, 2011 05:06 |  #10

I have the 64 GB and I have tons of movies, photos, and music on it and I dont even think I have used over 40 gigs yet.

I say get the 64 if you are able...

BTW, I bought the first gen for my wife as I never thought I would really like one....Wrong!! I love the little thing!!

1D MKIII 16-35 2.8L MKII 24-70 2.8L 70-200 2.8L [COLOR=black]IS 300 2.8L IS (few others) Bunch of AB lighting
Southern by the grace of God

johnlo
Goldmember
1,113 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Apr 21, 2011 08:28 |  #11

i only have ONE photo in my ipad 64GB - a pic of my son. ipad is mostly use for catching up w/ my TV series that I dont have time to watch at nite... and for reading (ibook & RSS Feed)...

johnlo photography :
personal blog: http://www.jklimagery.​com (external link)
My Gear List

Brad ­ Remick
Goldmember
1,117 posts
Joined Jan 2006

May 26, 2011 08:57 |  #12

32 gig is fine for me. I have lots of photos, some movies and a ton of books.

Some stuff that says "Canon" on it and a happy trigger finger.

"You miss 100% of the shots you never take" Wayne Gretzky (Yes, I know he was talking about hockey but it seems applicable here too):) www.BradRemick.com (external link)

kokakaste2
Goldmember
3,546 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 26, 2011 09:08 |  #13

I got my 32GB iPad2 few days ago. Actual available storage page is 29GB, but it is still plenty. :) Don't think I will really fill it all up. :)

Oskar (Oscar) - stuff I use- Flickr (external link) - My Facebook page (external link) :)

Dj ­ R
Goldmember
2,972 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Aug 2009

May 26, 2011 18:08 |  #14

Just use the flickr or smugmug apps. Seriously. Don't worry about ever syncing photos again using iTunes.

BAG Reviews, master list!
Sony A9 & A7Riii, 12-24 G f4, Batis 25 f2 Distagon, 35 f1.4 Distagon ZA, 50 f1.4 Planar ZA, 55 f1.8 Sonnar ZA, 85 f1.4 GM, 70-200 f2.8 GM

kokakaste2
Goldmember
3,546 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 27, 2011 04:43 |  #15

Dj R wrote in post #12485173 (external link)
Just use the flickr or smugmug apps. Seriously. Don't worry about ever syncing photos again using iTunes.

And what about when you are not near wifi? (assuming that its not a 3G model iPad).

sponsored links

6,958 views & 0 likes for this thread
iPad. How much photo storage are you using?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.