Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Competitions 
Thread started 03 Apr 2011 (Sunday) 08:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Rebel Challenge #57: Youth

edmyloo
861 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Apr 11, 2011 03:28 |  #16

My vote is for McNair. The puppy is just SO dang cute in that shot.

sponsored links
Big ­ Apple ­ Photography
THREAD ­ STARTER
Wish I had a 5D Classic
4,148 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Apr 11, 2011 08:49 |  #17

If I would look only at image quality, my vote would be for McNair.
If I would only care about the topic my vote would be either for kent or T3. Kent: I love the technical part of it but it is the lightning that does not trill me. T3: I love the framing and the subject but it seems to me that the two teens are Out Of Focus.
owen: nice idea but i don`t like the crop.
Chenster: I like it overall but the glass seem overexposed. (I guess that`s the term)
photomom: Lovely kid but a little bit to dark.
Last but not least edmylo: Love the face but not sure about the crop.

Darn.... I am thinking to much about the topic :))
Vote: McNair :) I am sure i am going to regret this but the puppy is lovely :)

Love POTN? Donate!
Feel like spending your money? Support POTN while doing that! Shop here! ;) (external link)TF IS BOORING...Undeserving of the TF's further attention, but sadly in need of a spell-check (external link)

photomom2one
Goldmember
1,034 posts
Gallery: 37 photos
Joined Sep 2009

Apr 11, 2011 10:11 |  #18

I think for the topic I have to vote for Kent. I do love the puppy for image quality.

Big Apple - thanks, it was very hard to get the settings right on that shot. I took tons. The problem was that the swing set is in DEEP shade, with dappled sunlight. It was getting on toward evening so the sun was shining directly on the slide, yet the rest was dark shade. Didn't want to overblow the sunlight... Any suggestions from anyone would be appreciated. I can try it again this evening. I'd prefer not to use flash since it would make it look to flat, I believe. I want it to be realistic, to look exactly like it does on the swingset.

Canon 50D
50mm 1.8, 85mm 1.8, Sears 135mm 2.8
430EX

Big ­ Apple ­ Photography
THREAD ­ STARTER
Wish I had a 5D Classic
4,148 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Apr 11, 2011 14:00 |  #19

photomom... do you have a cord for the flash or one of those wireless things? I would point the flash upwards and use a piece of cardboard to direct it. But it requires a lot of juggling.

Love POTN? Donate!
Feel like spending your money? Support POTN while doing that! Shop here! ;) (external link)TF IS BOORING...Undeserving of the TF's further attention, but sadly in need of a spell-check (external link)

photomom2one
Goldmember
1,034 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Apr 11, 2011 15:51 |  #20

no cord or wireless...

Canon 50D
430EX

kent ­ andersen
Goldmember
1,071 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Apr 2009

Apr 11, 2011 17:48 |  #21

photomom2one wrote in post #12199762 (external link)
I think for the topic I have to vote for Kent. I do love the puppy for image quality.

Big Apple - thanks, it was very hard to get the settings right on that shot. I took tons. The problem was that the swing set is in DEEP shade, with dappled sunlight. It was getting on toward evening so the sun was shining directly on the slide, yet the rest was dark shade. Didn't want to overblow the sunlight... Any suggestions from anyone would be appreciated. I can try it again this evening. I'd prefer not to use flash since it would make it look to flat, I believe. I want it to be realistic, to look exactly like it does on the swingset.

My best advice is to not shoot it in direct sunlight. I would have built up some shadow instead. Shadow, on the subject on a sunny day gives a much better dynamic range. It is easier to get it right when everything is shadow. Direct sunlight, means harsh shadows and small blown out parts, and the risk that the skin colours is ruined. To get a good light on skin, with help of more light and reflexion is much much more difficult, than to go the opposite way... take away the direct sunlight. With a difuser on the flash, the flash would not have been giving a harsh light. Here is a portrait in the shadow, with flash/difuser pointing straight upwards just to fill up the remaining shadows in her eyes.

IMAGE: http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5103/5601246014_1d2fa359d6_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …/41388512@N05/5​601246014/  (external link)
betina (external link) by andersen_kent (external link), on Flickr

Skin colour is the most difficult thing to get right. On my picture, the dynamic range was also tricky, and if the girls wasn't in a hurry I could have made the picture in the shadows outside of the building instead. That would have made it much easier. But they where in an hurry...

The biggest problem here was not the dynamic range, it was that there was different light sources with different light values. Low energy lamps, and sun light. The small energy lamps was shining on small areas, and mostly only painting things yellow and not bringing much light. The white balance is right on the paper and part of the clothes of the girl on the left. But for the face of her and the girls it is not. The skin colour is suffering from to much contrast, wich give stronger colours. But if you go to the last girl on the right, her skin colour is just perfect. The third girl from right is also having the right skin colour. This could have all been solved If I did not accidently had the camera on automatic, instead of AV. Wich means Jpeg instead of RAW. Then I could have adjusted the white balance for each light area, made 6 different pictures out of it, and painted the right colour on each of them. But that would have been overkill, for a picture intended for facebook...

t3 get the vote from me. That picture is saying everything about being a youth... and fulfilling the dream of a date!!!

The others would have been winners if the theme was "children" or "pet".

Living in Austria, I am so glad that there is stuff like Gimp out there...
I am a happy giver, so if you find any misspelling in my text, you can keep them... :)
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/41388512@N05/ (external link)

T3 ­ Heavy ­ Shop
634 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Apr 2011

Apr 11, 2011 22:25 |  #22

I agree the focus on mine and could have been a bit crisper. Guess I shouldn't have shot it at 300mm.  :o

Have to vote for McNair, even though I am generally anti-cute.

I've always been a photographer, but I haven't always had a camera.
EOS M6 m2, EOS 7D m2, EOS-M, EOS 5D m2(IR 830), EOS-M(IR 720)

photomom2one
Goldmember
1,034 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Apr 12, 2011 10:01 |  #23

Kent - diffuser would have been the answer. One of these days I"ll get one. I've tried using homemade things but nothing seems to work. IT either won't stay on, or it's too opaque. When indoors I bounce off ceiling, walls, or my favorite - a window. Outside there's nothing to bounce off! And it's not like I have an assistant to hold a reflector, LOL!

T3 - I would have liked to have seen more of the faces. All I could see was a back.

Canon 50D
430EX

kent ­ andersen
Goldmember
1,071 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Apr 13, 2011 09:28 |  #24

photomom2one wrote in post #12206447 (external link)
Kent - diffuser would have been the answer. One of these days I"ll get one. I've tried using homemade things but nothing seems to work. IT either won't stay on, or it's too opaque. When indoors I bounce off ceiling, walls, or my favorite - a window. Outside there's nothing to bounce off! And it's not like I have an assistant to hold a reflector, LOL!

T3 - I would have liked to have seen more of the faces. All I could see was a back.

I use this (external link)... That is perfect. Well, I had to use a tape to make it stuck to the camera. But I never take the difuser off anyway.

And as I tried to say... take the portrait shot in the shadows on sunny days. That gives a perfect balanced light, and with the bright sky above, the small soft shadows left ends up where shadows should be... under the person.

I am a happy giver, so if you find any misspelling in my text, you can keep them... :)

photomom2one
Goldmember
1,034 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Apr 13, 2011 15:26 |  #25

Kent - I had gotten this one a couple of weeks ago. It was further out from the trees and I think a little later in the day.

IMAGE: http://i1191.photobucket.com/albums/z467/photomom2one/IMG_2697.jpg

would that diffuser work on a 430EX?

Canon 50D
430EX

kent ­ andersen
Goldmember
1,071 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Apr 14, 2011 13:33 |  #26

photomom2one wrote in post #12215651 (external link)
Kent - I had gotten this one a couple of weeks ago. It was further out from the trees and I think a little later in the day.
QUOTED IMAGE

would that diffuser work on a 430EX?

I don't know. But one of these (external link) will.

There is not that much difference between them. They all give a more soft light. Pick one that you think look nice, and if it is not hanging good on the flash, well use tape.

That is anyhow a great portrait!!! And that is excatly how soft the shadows is when you take a portrait in the shadow (or late on the day).

photomom2one
Goldmember
1,034 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Apr 15, 2011 09:21 |  #27

thanks Kent! I really like that shot. I had looked at the soft box diffuser some time back. I really hadn't done much with photography the past few months. I'm starting to get back to hit with better weather.

Canon 50D
430EX

philk54
Goldmember
4,585 posts
Gallery: 160 photos
Joined Jul 2009

Apr 17, 2011 09:54 |  #28

Great shots everyone! Sorry I didn't get in, but I wouldn't have had anything appropriate anyway( tough to beat puppies and kids - and I don't have either at my house LOL).

Three cheers for McNair!

Anxiously awaiting new challenge!

All I want is just a little more than I'll ever have.

Phil K.
www.philipkresgephotog​raphy.com (external link)

Gear: I started out with nothing, and have most of it left!

anothernewb
361 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2009

Apr 17, 2011 12:20 |  #29

I know the challenge is way outta date, but I caught this candid at a meet for a car club I belong to. Thought I'd share.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i231.photobucke​t.com …e-aise/niner/IMG_8902.jp​g (external link)

Gripped 80D,10-18 STM, 55-250 IS STM, 15-85 IS USM, 85 1.8, 10-400 II, 430 EX II

philk54
Goldmember
4,585 posts
Gallery: 160 photos
Joined Jul 2009

Apr 19, 2011 10:59 |  #30

New topic? Anyone?

All I want is just a little more than I'll ever have.

Phil K.
www.philipkresgephotog​raphy.com (external link)

Gear: I started out with nothing, and have most of it left!

sponsored links

3,864 views & 0 likes for this thread
Rebel Challenge #57: Youth
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Competitions 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.