Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 17 Apr 2011 (Sunday) 13:32
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Internet Explorer 9

pbelarge
Goldmember
2,837 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Apr 17, 2011 13:32 |  #1

Has anyone starting using IE9?

If not, why not?

If yes, have you had any trouble:
1. installing
2. running it
3. does it tranfer over your favorites?

Thanks for responding.

just a few of my thoughts...
Pierre

sponsored links
jm4ever
854 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 17, 2011 13:55 |  #2

I've been using it for the last month or so and am not having any problems with it. Yes my favorites were transferred over and it was easy to install.

Only problem is that i don't think it's color corrected so I still used FF4 when viewing things like this forum.

leadAndRock
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Apr 17, 2011 14:05 |  #3

I don't use IE and I highly recommend anyone and everyone move to a real browser. They're safer, faster, and easier to use than any of the IE family. Plus there are so many different options out there that a lot of people have no idea exist!

Firefox (external link)
Safari (external link)
Google Chrome (external link)
Opera (external link)
Seamonkey (external link)
Stainless (Mac only) (external link)

Not to mention the hundreds of others that are based on these browsers. Here is a full list (external link).

I'm a software engineer, working on the web side of things for that past 8 years so I've had intimate experience with pretty much every browser there is.

tman2782
987 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Apr 17, 2011 14:09 |  #4

I guess this whole debate about "the best" browser will never end. Been using IE9 for a few weeks now, and absolutely love it. Currently the fastest in it's class and not had any issues moving over from IE8.

Terence # www.terencepereiraphot​o.com (external link)
facebook (external link) | twitter (external link) | flickr (external link) | Google+ (external link) | GearList

neil_r
Cream of the Proverbial Crop
Landscape and Cityscape Photographer 2006
18,065 posts
Joined Jan 2003

Apr 17, 2011 14:14 |  #5

IE is a pain

Neil - © NHR Photography
Commercial Site (external link) - Video Site (external link) - Blog - (external link)Gear List There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. ~ Ansel Adams

leadAndRock
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Apr 17, 2011 14:29 |  #6

tman2782 wrote in post #12240043 (external link)
I guess this whole debate about "the best" browser will never end. Been using IE9 for a few weeks now, and absolutely love it. Currently the fastest in it's class and not had any issues moving over from IE8.

It's not about the best, I'm all for using what you like. It comes down to the fact that IE is notoriously unsafe and has 100 times more security issues than any other browser. In fact it's part of the reason that windows was booted from Google. They use only mac and linux now.

David ­ Ransley
673 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2008

Apr 17, 2011 15:52 |  #7

I am using IE9 and started in December with some early releases. The speed improvement is noticeable, but some sites that checks for a browser may come up with a complaint. Legacy mode solves that most of the time and the sites are upgrading fast.

The layout is a change you will have to get used to. Example - favourites now on top right, not left anymore.

In general it works and is much better than IE8

DRH

dan220
526 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2007

Apr 17, 2011 16:15 as a reply to  @ David Ransley's post |  #8

Been useing it for a couple of weeks now on all three of my computers. No problems installing, everything transferred easily. Seems to be much faster then IE8. I have never had any security problems with any version of IE and have tried a couple of the others browsers and will stay with IE. I'm happy with it.

Canon T6s, T4i, G15, Canon 85 1.8, Canon 18-135is STM, Tamron 70-200 G2, Tamron 70-300, ProOptic 8mm f3.5, Canon 100mm 2.8 macro, 17[/COLOR]-55is, 55-250is STM, Nifty Fifty, 430ex ll.
M-Rock Arches 528.

HogansHeroes
Goldmember
2,025 posts
Gallery: 141 photos
Joined Oct 2010

Apr 17, 2011 16:17 |  #9

I have heard its better but me I am Firefox,SeaMonkey only. Plus I use linux.

"Twelve significant photographs in any one year is a good crop."
-Ansel Adams

Mike ­ Deep
Goldmember
1,912 posts
Gallery: 94 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Apr 2008

Apr 17, 2011 21:43 as a reply to  @ leadAndRock's post |  #10

Regarding security in IE9 - It's technically side-by-side with Chrome and above everything else.

http://arstechnica.com …n-ditching-xp-for-ie9.ars (external link)

More substantial protection is provided by the Mandatory Integrity Control feature of the two modern OSes. By marking a process as "Low Integrity," Windows prevents that process from being able to write to the majority of the hard disk and registry. The result is that even if the Web browser is compromised, the attacker is greatly restricted. Though an attacker can read most data (though this too can be restricted), he can't install rootkits, trojans, spyware, or anything else, because he cannot write to the parts of the file system required to do this.

Importantly, this protection has no real means of circumvention. Features like ASLR (and DEP, which is found in XP) are designed to make hackers' jobs harder, but do not erect any hard, kernel-enforced barriers, which is why, with skill, they can be bypassed. MIC erects a much harder barrier; to bypass MIC a hacker would have to find and use an exploit that allowed a process to elevate its privileges to strip itself of the "Low Integrity" label. If the attacker cannot do this, then he is forever trapped in the Low Integrity sandbox, unable to install his malicious software.

Privilege escalation vulnerabilities—softwa​re flaws that trick the kernel into giving a process more rights than it should have—do exist, so even MIC is no panacea. But they're substantially rarer than common browser flaws, and they are more likely to be fixed more quickly, because of their scope. Most important is that they can be fixed—they're a result of bugs in the kernel. DEP and ASLR can't be fixed as such; the circumvention mechanisms are to an extent inevitable.

That's not to say everyone should drop everything and switch to IE9 as their default browser (I certainly haven't, and I'm posting this from FF4). But it's important that everyone on Win6/7 upgrade.

mikedeep.com (external link) - rocket launch photography

lomenak
649 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Apr 18, 2011 01:28 as a reply to  @ Mike Deep's post |  #11

we run sharepoint at work so ie is a must. Tried to install ie 9 on my machine. It crashed my computer twice that badly that i had to unplug the machine from power, cos even the power button wouldnt work. I will be using ie 8. I would never use it home btw..

Nuroppo
85 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Apr 18, 2011 15:13 |  #12

I installed it at home, but after a while it keeps freezing. I am using Chrome now.

andrikos
Goldmember
1,905 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Apr 18, 2011 15:21 |  #13

Chrome guy here. Not interested in IE9.

Think new Canon lenses are overpriced? Lots (and lots) of data will set you free!

KoalaCowboy
Goldmember
1,542 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Apr 18, 2011 15:40 |  #14

I just installed it on my Windows based computers / virtual machines and must say that I really don't like IE9. IE9 is worse than IE8.

I mainly use my MacBook, so I use Chrome, Firefox or Safari...primarily Chrome.

- -
Pete
Gripped 5D Mk III / 24-105 / 16-35 II / 70-200 II / 600EX-RT / LEE Filters / F-Stop backpacks / Gitzo GT3542LS / RRS BH-55
USKestrel Photography (external link)

pbelarge
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,837 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Apr 18, 2011 15:46 |  #15

neil_r wrote in post #12240070 (external link)
IE is a pain

Care to embelish this statement?

just a few of my thoughts...
Pierre

sponsored links

5,879 views & 0 likes for this thread
Internet Explorer 9
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.