Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 29 Apr 2010 (Thursday) 08:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

REAL focal length vs. ACTUAL focal length on lenses

Buckeye88
27 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Apr 17, 2011 21:48 as a reply to  @ post 10089421 |  #31

Wow, I just ran into this today and was quite surprised. Had to do lots of searching to find a thread that covered the topic, but I figured it had to be on here somewhere. :)

My 18-135mm @ 135mm compared to a 70-200 2.8 @ 135mm at ~10ft (close to MFD for 70-200), both on a 60D.

18-135mm @ 135

IMAGE: http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5224/5629087239_98ac3c465e.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …buckeyemark88/5​629087239/  (external link)
IMG_1711 (external link)

70-200 @ 135
IMAGE: http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5303/5629085219_e8bb50f39c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …buckeyemark88/5​629085219/  (external link)
IMG_1710 (external link)

If I trust the 70-200, I guess my 18-135 is short when up close. I'd call the difference substantial. At longer distances they match. I agree with the earlier post about wanting a chart or table of FL vs. subject distance if there's that much variation.

I started out thinking this was some kind of EF vs. EF-S difference and was really scratching my head.

sponsored links
TheRisingArms
351 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Apr 18, 2011 02:19 |  #32

I think also the wider the focal range of the lens, the more substantial this effect becomes.

Bodies: Canon 500D | Canon EOS M
Lenses: Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 | Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 | EF 50mm f/1.8 II | EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 | EF-M 22mm f/2
Flashes: YN-568EX | 90EX

melcat
Goldmember
1,122 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Apr 18, 2011 02:43 |  #33

The effect is called "focus breathing" - Google that (with the quotes, otherwise you get a lot of yoga hits).

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,475 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Apr 18, 2011 04:36 |  #34

Buckeye88 wrote in post #12242508 (external link)
My 18-135mm @ 135mm compared to a 70-200 2.8 @ 135mm at ~10ft (close to MFD for 70-200), both on a 60D.

......At longer distances they match. .....

As I have mentioned before in this thread and others, the focal lengths of camera lenses are measured at infinity focus only. Thus, two lenses of different design but the same marked focal length - even fixed focal length ("prime") lenses - when used at short focus distances may show different fields of views. This has absolutely nothing to do with the format of the camera.

..... I agree with the earlier post about wanting a chart or table of FL vs. subject distance if there's that much variation.

I do not recall ever seeing any charts of focal length variations of lenses at different focus distances.

I started out thinking this was some kind of EF vs. EF-S difference and was really scratching my head.

Hopefully you and others realize this is not the case. ALL lenses for SLR cameras are marked with their actual focal lengths and not some "equivalent" focal length values.

As I said above in this post, the camera format has nothing at all to do with the situation illustrated in post #31 above.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

atlrus
531 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Apr 18, 2011 05:53 |  #35

Wow, I just ran into this today and was quite surprised. Had to do lots of searching to find a thread that covered the topic, but I figured it had to be on here somewhere. :)

18-135mm @ 135
QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …buckeyemark88/5​629087239/  (external link)
IMG_1711 (external link)

70-200 @ 135
QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …buckeyemark88/5​629085219/  (external link)
IMG_1710 (external link)

If I trust the 70-200, I guess my 18-135 is short when up close. I'd call the difference substantial. At longer distances they match. I agree with the earlier post about wanting a chart or table of FL vs. subject distance if there's that much variation.

Wow, this really blew my mind, what a gigantic difference. I can see the point of the OP. Makes it that much harder to pick a lens if you don't have plenty of experience with it and know exactly what you'd get.

And I don't see how the car engine example works in this case. It appears that most of us take the FL as a standard, so it'd be more like the speedometer showing 40mph on both v4 and v8 engines, but the v8 actually moving at 60mph.

Gear: Sold :cry:

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,475 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Apr 18, 2011 06:14 |  #36

atlrus wrote in post #12243984 (external link)
Wow, this really blew my mind, what a gigantic difference. I can see the point of the OP. Makes it that much harder to pick a lens if you don't have plenty of experience with it and know exactly what you'd get.

Do an experiment for me and the other readers. Take each of the lenses and aim them at a subject roughly the same 10-foot distance as in your photos. Put the lenses into manual focus mode (unless they have full-time manual focus capability) and run the the focus ring from stop to stop while looking at the 10-foot subject. Let us know which lens showed radically different subject sizes as you changed the focus.

I tried this with my 20D and my 16-35 f/2.8L (original version), 24-70 f/2.8L, and 70-200 f/2.8L IS lenses and saw very little subject size variation while rotating the focus ring through the full range. As a subject got really fuzzy (out of focus), it appeared that the image was larger than when in focus but I could tell by center-to-center spacing of multiple items at the subject's position that the image size wasn't really changing a noticeable amount.

Skip Douglas

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 18, 2011 06:17 |  #37

The 70-200 F4IS and 70-200MKII at 200mm show different magnifications at around 20 feet when I tested them against each other for IQ. Can't recall which was shorter. I think it was the MKII.

Bohdan - I may be, and probably am, completely wrong.
Gear List

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographer (external link)
Flickr (external link)

atlrus
531 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Apr 18, 2011 07:37 |  #38

SkipD wrote in post #12244034 (external link)
Do an experiment for me and the other readers. Take each of the lenses and aim them at a subject roughly the same 10-foot distance as in your photos. Put the lenses into manual focus mode (unless they have full-time manual focus capability) and run the the focus ring from stop to stop while looking at the 10-foot subject. Let us know which lens showed radically different subject sizes as you changed the focus.

I tried this with my 20D and my 16-35 f/2.8L (original version), 24-70 f/2.8L, and 70-200 f/2.8L IS lenses and saw very little subject size variation while rotating the focus ring through the full range. As a subject got really fuzzy (out of focus), it appeared that the image was larger than when in focus but I could tell by center-to-center spacing of multiple items at the subject's position that the image size wasn't really changing a noticeable amount.

Why would it matter when the end result will be like the photos above? After all, we are all after the in-focus shots :)

Gear: Sold :cry:

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,475 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Apr 18, 2011 07:57 |  #39

atlrus wrote in post #12244335 (external link)
Why would it matter when the end result will be like the photos above? After all, we are all after the in-focus shots :)

The question I have is which of your lenses (maybe even both) seem to vary the focal length with focal distance. None of my lenses seem to exhibit that characteristic.

Skip Douglas

Buckeye88
27 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Apr 18, 2011 08:07 |  #40

SkipD wrote in post #12244034 (external link)

I thought of that experiment afterwards too. Unfortunately, the 70-200 was borrowed and has to go back today.

atlrus wrote in post #12244335 (external link)

By doing it at various distances, it's a way to tell when your lens starts to exhibit the behavior, without having to compare it to another lens.

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,475 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Apr 18, 2011 08:22 |  #41

Buckeye88 wrote in post #12244429 (external link)
I thought of that experiment afterwards too. Unfortunately, the 70-200 was borrowed and has to go back today.

I guess I goofed and suggested the experiment by replying to the wrong person. Oh well. :rolleyes:

Anyhow, I suspect it's the 18-135 that may be showing the greatest difference between the two you used in the photos. Just try the experiment with the 18-135. Set it at 135 mm (for starters), look at something at roughly ten feet from you and rock the focus ring from one end to the other looking for a change in the field (angle) of view while you do that. Then you could try it at other focal lengths for grins and giggles. I'd be interested in the results. You wouldn't be making images but just seeing the results in the viewfinder.

Skip Douglas

sponsored links

7,958 views & 0 likes for this thread
REAL focal length vs. ACTUAL focal length on lenses
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.