Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 17 Apr 2011 (Sunday) 02:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Please critique my Skin retouching skills

XxDJCyberLoverxX
Goldmember
1,139 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 17, 2011 02:02 |  #1

I shot my friend, Natalie, a few days ago. I'm always trying to improve on my photography and PP skills. For some reason, I can't pinpoint what exactly is "wrong" or unnatural (if any) with my PP skills this time around.

It would be great of all of you can help pinpoint me in the right direction: skin smoothing, color, crop, etc. I'll show the processed image first, then the raw image afterwards.

Finished Image:

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

and then...

SOOC Image:
IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

Thank you,

Daniel

Daniel
Sony a7 / Sony a7s / FE 24-70mm / FE 28mm F/2 / Samyang 135mm
Nebula 4000 Lite / Manfrotto 190cx
POTN Feedback / My Work! (external link)

sponsored links
Si19761
27 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Apr 17, 2011 03:35 |  #2

Hi Daniel, I'm certainly no expert but I've spotted a couple of areas where it could be improved.

Firstly, she looks to have a halo around her head. On her left hand side just above her shoulder it is quite noticeable and there is a very definate line between the background and her hair. Secondly, there are a number of shiny areas on her face and forehead, especially above her left eye. Maybe that could be improved on.

I do like how you've improved the areas around her eyes and gernerally you've improved the image.

Si.

Si
Canon 40D
My Flickr (external link)

Aquaman
619 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Apr 2006

Apr 17, 2011 07:06 |  #3

I noticed the halo too. (Not the intentional halo in the background, but the one tight around her hair). I suspect you used a mask, and the white background from the original shot was caught in the mask.

Canon 7dii with an EFs 17-55; EF 50 1.8; EF 70-200 f2.8L; and EF 300L
www.wiphotoclub.com (external link)

Crocodile101
186 posts
Joined May 2009

Apr 17, 2011 09:41 |  #4
bannedPermanent ban

Her skin tone is a little strong. When cutting out a person, soften the edges a little.
take a photo without the shadow for an easier clip or include the shadow in your background.

You don't take a photograph, you make it. Ansel Adams.

District_History_Fan
Goldmember
2,286 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 17, 2011 10:08 as a reply to  @ Crocodile101's post |  #5

Hi Daniel.

The image would look much more natural if the lighting had been done differently instead of trying to do it in post. She needed a speedlight zoomed/snooted for the background and a high enough shutter speed to drop the ambient light around the "spot" behind her. As it is, she looks almost Photoshopped into the photo. The halo is a selection issue in PS.

As for the skin smoothing, I think you handled it pretty well. A problem could be that the light on her face may have been a bit harsh and she has hot areas on her cheeks and forehead. Once again, a nice diffused light source may have helped. Some folks have oily skin and the bright areas this can produce can certainly be a challenge.

Keep in mind, those comments are meant to help and are not coming from someone that is not really into portraiture.

www.ericmcferrin.smugm​ug.com (external link)

XxDJCyberLoverxX
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,139 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 17, 2011 10:40 |  #6

Thank you everyone for your comments. They really help. As far as the halo goes, i dont know how to use Photoshop too well to avoid it. Yes, i cut out the person using masks, but i dont know how to "soften" the cut to make it more natural? I dont have a studio or anything, so i just find a white wall to shoot and find that the background is boring most of the time, so i replace the color.

Can anyone suggest how i can avoid making the unintentional halo? Her skin is really oily, so even with a diffused light source, there were hot spots. I tried to even out the spots in Lightroom.

Daniel

District_History_Fan
Goldmember
2,286 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 17, 2011 10:59 |  #7

XxDJCyberLoverxX wrote in post #12239082 (external link)
As far as the halo goes, i dont know how to use Photoshop too well to avoid it. Yes, i cut out the person using masks, but i dont know how to "soften" the cut to make it more natural? I dont have a studio or anything, so i just find a white wall to shoot and find that the background is boring most of the time, so i replace the color.

Can anyone suggest how i can avoid making the unintentional halo?

My advice would be to avoid the complex PS selection altogether by moving the subject farther from the wall, use your 430EX to light the backdrop (using colored gels would add punch) and light the subject with another Speedlite. The ultimate setup for this shot would be three lights, backdrop, key and fill. Two of those lights would obviously need to be off camera (backdrop and key).

www.ericmcferrin.smugm​ug.com (external link)

Crocodile101
186 posts
Joined May 2009

Apr 17, 2011 12:17 |  #8
bannedPermanent ban

If you have time, do your work before the shoot placing lights, composition, pose and so on. ps is for mistakes or enhancement but not your doit all there program.

SmilingFox
375 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 17, 2011 14:04 |  #9

The skin looks a little much to me. I wouldn't think that if it were so smooth or waxy looking. The halo is quite noticeable as well. Ill be honest, when I have to crop someone out, I use Topaz Remask. It does a better job than I can do by hand, in the same amount of time. For next time though, she should be moved farther away from the bg, there won't be as much of shadow and it won't be as noticeable either. Keep Shooting!

Canon T1i Nifty 50, 35-135 f4-5.6, 70-200 f4, 580, 2x 430s, and a super long Ettl cord
Family Portraits in The Woodlands, TX (external link)

XxDJCyberLoverxX
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,139 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 17, 2011 14:46 |  #10

Great! Thank you everyone. I learned something new. I didn't know that if you remove the subject from the wall/bg, that the shadows would be less apparent. How far does the subject usually have to stand away from the wall before the shadows disappear?

I'll fix the skin also. Sometimes my judgment gets a little hazy after a few hours of staring at the computer screen and editing pictures.

Daniel

XxDJCyberLoverxX
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,139 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 17, 2011 22:38 |  #11

I know there is no replacement for good preparation and good lighting, but I did some research on reducing halos in Photoshop and tried it again with my picture.

I think the new background "might" help a little with the halo, but is there a positive difference between this edit and my first one? I reduced the saturation of the skin tone to make it more realistic. I need all of the constructive criticism I can get. Thank you POTN!

IMAGE: http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5110/5630191874_e3e3a27c13_z.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://farm6.static.fl​ickr.com …30191874_149ffc​da5a_o.jpg  (external link)

Daniel

SmilingFox
375 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 17, 2011 23:24 |  #12

The bg is much better than before. The skin tones do look a bit better too!

Canon T1i Nifty 50, 35-135 f4-5.6, 70-200 f4, 580, 2x 430s, and a super long Ettl cord
Family Portraits in The Woodlands, TX (external link)

StephenAndrew
855 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 18, 2011 00:03 |  #13

I agree, the new edit looks much better.

Connecticut Wedding and Portrait Photographer (external link)
Facebook (external link)
Equipment/Feedback

XxDJCyberLoverxX
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,139 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 18, 2011 01:26 |  #14

Thanks SmilingFox and StephenAndrew. I'll jot down this PS process, the lighting advice, and make sure to apply it the next time I have a shoot.

Daniel

Crocodile101
186 posts
Joined May 2009

Apr 18, 2011 08:34 |  #15
bannedPermanent ban

very good!. Learn to soften (blur) the edges of the mask, they are still sharp and noticeable.

sponsored links

4,516 views & 0 likes for this thread
Please critique my Skin retouching skills
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.