Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 18 Apr 2011 (Monday) 09:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Saturday Evening Fishing (CC Welcome)

SmilingFox
375 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 18, 2011 09:37 |  #1

My husband and son were fishing on Saturday evening. I say fishing, but my son thinks fishing is just whacking the pole on the water. I was losing my light pretty fast so I used a 430 for fill. I had tried to meter in several different spots, with camera, and the flash would completely overpower the scene: Blowing out skin tones but leaving everything else quite dark. I had to really dial the flash way back to get this one. My question is, where is the proper place for me to meter in a scene like this? I don't have a flash meter, and I have never used one, so that would be a bit over my head. Thanks in advance. Any advice or suggestions are always welcome.

Oh, this looks rather dark posted on Flickr. In LR and PS there is detail in the trees in distance. You still get the idea though... Sorry about that.

IMAGE: http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5267/5630895063_c1675a4571_z.jpg

Canon T1i Nifty 50, 35-135 f4-5.6, 70-200 f4, 580, 2x 430s, and a super long Ettl cord
Family Portraits in The Woodlands, TX (external link)

sponsored links
Kechar
Goldmember
1,699 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 18, 2011 09:44 |  #2

SmilingFox wrote in post #12244898 (external link)
Sorry about that.

Don't be...that's a boy fishing....I love fishing.
Love the color of the sky!
Nice shot!

flickr (external link) KCharron.net (external link) - 5D mark III (gripped) | 24-70 2.8 VC | 85 1.8 | 50 1.4 | 70-200 2.8L
[LIGHTING: 3 Einsteins, AB400, CyberCommander, 2 VLMs w/2 spare bats, 2 64" PLMs, 24x32 softbox, 22" BD, grids and diffusers, Avenger stands and boom.]

trouthunter
229 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Apr 18, 2011 14:59 |  #3

I can not answer your question but I do like the image, nothing like a kid fishing :)
I also like he is using a casting rod, start the kid young and let him win ya millions on the B.A.S.S tour.

5D Mark 2, 7D, Canon 70-200 F4L IS , Sigma 17-70 OS, Nifty Fifty, 50 1.4, Speedlite 430 ex2. Einstein 640 x 2
500px (external link)
Flickr (external link)

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
13,682 posts
Gallery: 205 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 18, 2011 15:31 as a reply to  @ trouthunter's post |  #4

I'm no expert when it comes to flash, but I think you approached this shot correctly. I think the proper exposure should be on your subject and let the background go dark. Were you shooting in manual mode? I've had good luck using spot metering with my camera then shooting in manual mode.

My only nit with your shot is it's too bad the end of the pole got cut off...otherwise, very nicely done.

Edit: I should have added "Keep shooting". :D

Gene - My Photo Gallery || (external link) My USS Oriskany website (external link) || My Flickr (external link)
Take nothing but photos - leave nothing but footprints - break nothing but silence - kill nothing but time.

SmilingFox
THREAD ­ STARTER
375 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 18, 2011 15:56 |  #5

navydoc wrote in post #12247229 (external link)
My only nit with your shot is it's too bad the end of the pole got cut off...otherwise, very nicely done.

Edit: I should have added "Keep shooting". :D

Hey that's my line...
Yeah I regret that I didn't get the entire pole too. He was just a little closer to me than I wanted him to be, but I loved the look on his face while he was whacking the water with the pole. A 3 yr old doesn't stay still for long... so I took the shot!

Canon T1i Nifty 50, 35-135 f4-5.6, 70-200 f4, 580, 2x 430s, and a super long Ettl cord

apor
27 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Apr 18, 2011 19:10 |  #6

To me it looks like the flash is on the hotshoe. I'd recommend a cord to get it off the camera; the lighting would look less flat. I know, I know, one more piece of gear to haul around, and you would have a dangling flash, but the results look much better.

T2i, EF-S 10-22, 17-40L, EF 50 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8 macro, EF 70-300L, [need to sell:EF-S 55-250, EF-S 15-85], 430ex II and some modifiers, 2x RF-602 system, tripod, some cables and things

SmilingFox
THREAD ­ STARTER
375 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 19, 2011 08:40 |  #7

Thanks for all the comments, I really do appreciate it. Is there anyone else that can answer my metering question?

Crocodile101
186 posts
Joined May 2009

Apr 19, 2011 10:48 |  #8
bannedPermanent ban

I always spot meter on the person. Also learn to shot off camera for better lighting. You will have better results by using everything in manual, including your flash. Then you will be in control.

You don't take a photograph, you make it. Ansel Adams.

Kechar
Goldmember
1,699 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 19, 2011 11:02 |  #9

definitely meter on the person.
Would be cool if you could mask and darken the foliage in the foreground a bit too!

flickr (external link) KCharron.net (external link) - 5D mark III (gripped) | 24-70 2.8 VC | 85 1.8 | 50 1.4 | 70-200 2.8L
[LIGHTING: 3 Einsteins, AB400, CyberCommander, 2 VLMs w/2 spare bats, 2 64" PLMs, 24x32 softbox, 22" BD, grids and diffusers, Avenger stands and boom.]

sponsored links

898 views & 0 likes for this thread
Saturday Evening Fishing (CC Welcome)
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.