Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 19 Apr 2011 (Tuesday) 08:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

need cc plz

alexdesign
427 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Apr 19, 2011 08:54 |  #1

I did this shot with 100mm macro lens f2.8. When I tried to get closer to water drops I just could not get MF to work for me. I don't know if it's the lens or am I doing something wrong? Any feedback/advice would be appreciated.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/62731114@N02/ (external link)

sponsored links
SmilingFox
375 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 19, 2011 09:04 |  #2

This seems a little oof. I hate to ask but were you using a tripod? I can't really be much help. Sorry.

Canon T1i Nifty 50, 35-135 f4-5.6, 70-200 f4, 580, 2x 430s, and a super long Ettl cord
Family Portraits in The Woodlands, TX (external link)

alexdesign
THREAD ­ STARTER
427 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Apr 19, 2011 09:13 |  #3

Yep, I was using a tripod with AV. Is it a no no?

mrbubbles
Goldmember
1,090 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Apr 19, 2011 09:30 |  #4

Is this a crop? The resolution doesnt look very high.

Gear List
Zenfolio (external link)
Flickr (external link)

polynet
27 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Apr 19, 2011 10:27 |  #5

When you say AV... do you mean IS (Image Stabilization)? If yes, then you should turn that off on a tripod.

i've read that it overcompensates when there is no vibrations and then your pics get blurry

alexdesign
THREAD ­ STARTER
427 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Apr 19, 2011 10:43 |  #6

mrbubbles wrote in post #12252217 (external link)
Is this a crop? The resolution doesnt look very high.

Yeah had to resize for forum's upload. Image was too large so I decided to cut out lots of green

alexdesign
THREAD ­ STARTER
427 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Apr 19, 2011 10:47 |  #7

polynet wrote in post #12252536 (external link)
When you say AV... do you mean IS (Image Stabilization)? If yes, then you should turn that off on a tripod.

i've read that it overcompensates when there is no vibrations and then your pics get blurry

I've used on camera mode AV (Apperture Value) to shoot. My lens does not have Image Stabilization. I've used a tripod to place the camera and did the shooting.

JayZ235
492 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Apr 19, 2011 10:49 |  #8

OP, post up the EXIF data and we might be able to help you a little more

Crocodile101
186 posts
Joined May 2009

Apr 19, 2011 11:21 |  #9
bannedPermanent ban

Would try moving back usually for a focus, or you were set on auto focus, sometime I forget to change it back after use. Can you get a good focus on other things? Check your lens to see how close you are capable of shooting.

You don't take a photograph, you make it. Ansel Adams.

ckramos
179 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Apr 19, 2011 12:28 |  #10

too much empty space in the bottom third.

5d2 | 580ex ii | 35-70mm f3.5-4.5 | 50mm f1.4 | 17-40mm f4

alexdesign
THREAD ­ STARTER
427 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Apr 19, 2011 15:02 |  #11

here's the original. I could not come to droplets any closer the lens won't focus if I'd literally put my lens on top of droplets. Had to stay back a bit. Maybe I should've used an estension tube? Any thoughts?

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

argyle
Cream of the Crop
8,187 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Apr 19, 2011 16:57 |  #12

polynet wrote in post #12252536 (external link)

Av is "aperture priority" mode...the camera will set the corresponding shutter speed to match up with whatever aperture value is chosen. Has nothing to do with image stabilization (IS).

alexdesign wrote in post #12254361 (external link)
here's the original. I could not come to droplets any closer the lens won't focus if I'd literally put my lens on top of droplets. Had to stay back a bit. Maybe I should've used an estension tube? Any thoughts?

If you want to get inside your camera's minimum focusing distance, one or more extension tubes will be necessary.

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son". - Dean Wormer

GEAR LIST

Shockey
Goldmember
1,187 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 19, 2011 17:02 |  #13

Part of it appears to be in focus, more towards the back. at 2.8 your depth of field is the width of a hair on macro.

Use your tripod and set your f stop at 14 and try again. Make sure you are choosing your focus point, don't let your camera do it.

stayhumble
Goldmember
1,328 posts
Joined Nov 2010

May 20, 2011 14:26 |  #14
bannedPermanent ban

cant believe no one pointed out that she is too close.

your lens tells you the minimum distance you need to be in feet and meters. also read your manual or download it online. you'll learn a lot reading it believe it or not.

There are no rules for a good photograph and there are no excuses for a bad one.
SELLING:40D, 50D, 10-22, Tamron 17-50 non VC, 5D, 14MM II, 24-105, 70-200 f/4 IS, 430EX, 530EX (ALL MINT W/Box)

Iguanasan
53 posts
Joined Sep 2010

May 20, 2011 15:04 as a reply to  @ stayhumble's post |  #15

I think stayhumble has hit the nail on the head. All lenses have minimum focusing distances. The Canon EF 100mm f2.8 has a minimum focus distance of 1.0ft so if you try to move the camera closer it's not possible to focus on the subject. It's a limitation of the lens physics.

sponsored links

1,372 views & 0 likes for this thread
need cc plz
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.