Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Motorsports Talk 
Thread started 18 Apr 2011 (Monday) 03:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Formula 1 Question

DC ­ Fan
Cream of the Crop
5,881 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Apr 19, 2011 11:23 |  #16

travisrockphotography wrote in post #12248939 (external link)
..how do I go about establishing myself in the motorsport world.

Go to race tracks. Take pictures. Develop skills at actual events. Learn how to deliver images immediately after a race is over.

A glance at your web site shows no images of racing or sports action. The skills and techniques needed to handled those challenges are far different from controlled portraiture, and can take years to develop.

Even with those skills, you'll need to compete against photographers with decades of experience. You'll need to generate images as good or better, and you'll need to come up with the images on extremely tight deadlines.

From Connecticut, it's going to take a lot of traveling to get the experience you need, since there are only a handful of tracks in the state. There are places online where you can learn which tracks are active. (external link)

andrewc
Goldmember
1,403 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Apr 19, 2011 13:11 |  #17

travisrockphotography wrote in post #12249917 (external link)
Yeah, unfortunately the wedding market is also like that up here. People are taking photography certification courses, going out and buying a 5D MKII kit, and charging 2400 a pop and people are paying it because they have a 'certification as a professional photographer'. That's a reason a client gave me a few weeks ago. My rate is also 1200 for the day, with a friend backup shooting. absurd.

ANYWAY. Thanks for the insight. I think my best bet is probably lime rock?

I think a day shooting a wedding is going to be more lucrative than a day shooting racing cars unless you have some very good motorsport clients!

Norwich Photo Motorsport Photography • Facebook Entry • Canon EOS 7D / 50D / 40D / 24-105L / Sigma 100-300 f4 / 50mm f1.8 / Tamron 28-300 / 2x Canon 580EX2 flash / Interfit and Lastolite studio gear / Manfrotto supports / Lowepro Stealth Reporter AW650 and Computrekker

Mike ­ Hoyer
252 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Apr 21, 2011 05:37 |  #18

philwillmedia wrote in post #12245047 (external link)
wank factor

Quoted for amusement... :D

Motorsport Photographer

dinanm3atl
Goldmember
3,123 posts
Joined Feb 2008

May 18, 2011 23:47 |  #19

Interesting read... and love reading it. One thing I want to eventually shoot without a doubt! Thanks for the read guys. Shooting Grand-Am and ALMS now and would like to one day move up the rung a couple steps. Working on it one race at a time.

Halston - MotorSports Photographer
1Dx - 1Dx - A7r - 400L f/2.8 - 70-200L f/2.8 - 24-105L f/4 - 17-40L f/4 - 50 f/1.4 - 8mm f/3.5 Fisheye - 1.4x TC - 2x TC
Photography Site (external link)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

3,409 views & 0 likes for this thread
Formula 1 Question
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Motorsports Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.