Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Nikon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Nikon Cameras 
Thread started 05 Feb 2010 (Friday) 20:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Got a Nikon? Share your thoughts and photos here or ask a question! (II)

this thread is locked
doublehmom
983 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Apr 19, 2011 18:24 |  #1501

Chippy569 wrote in post #12255420 (external link)
note that the exposure meters on the canons are "backwards" from the nikon.

Okay, thank you. I am going to study my manual and try to figure this out by practicing. I don't quite get the exposure comp on the Canon.

sponsored links
monk3y
Totally Saturated
46,198 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Apr 19, 2011 18:59 |  #1502

Chippy569 wrote in post #12255420 (external link)
note that the exposure meters on the canons are "backwards" from the nikon.

doublehmom wrote in post #12255465 (external link)
Okay, thank you. I am going to study my manual and try to figure this out by practicing. I don't quite get the exposure comp on the Canon.

yes the default exposure meter on Nikon is opposite that of canon :D

www.monk3y.com (external link) | My GEAR

doublehmom
983 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Apr 19, 2011 19:30 |  #1503

I think I figured it out. Thanks everyone.

Bob_A
Cream of the Crop
8,438 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Jan 2005

Apr 19, 2011 21:43 |  #1504

nicksan wrote in post #12252028 (external link)
Indeed, I used to have the 70-200VRII and the 2x TC III. I think it's a nice combo. AF speed is good unless the lens has to do a full rack. I think overall, it's a decent alternative for 400mm, but I would suggest if you are going to shoot at 400mm on the regular, to get a lens that does 400mm. Of course, with Nikon, that's not so cheap!

Here are a few sample shots:

LINK (external link)

LINK (external link)

Thanks Nick, this is exactly what I was looking for. I have the 70-200VR (original) which should give the same center performance, but I imagine the edge sharpness may suffer a bit.

Looks to me that the 2X Tcon III is definitely a better choice than the 80-400. I think I've just may have found this years birthday present. :)

Bob
SmugMug (external link) | My Gear Ratings | My POTN Gallery

monk3y
Totally Saturated
46,198 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Apr 20, 2011 00:44 |  #1505

Bob_A wrote in post #12256642 (external link)
Thanks Nick, this is exactly what I was looking for. I have the 70-200VR (original) which should give the same center performance, but I imagine the edge sharpness may suffer a bit.

Looks to me that the 2X Tcon III is definitely a better choice than the 80-400. I think I've just may have found this years birthday present. :)

Goodluck Man :D

www.monk3y.com (external link) | My GEAR

anlenke
575 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 20, 2011 00:58 |  #1506

KenjiS wrote in post #12242917 (external link)
^- Curiously i must ask how the 7D is compared to the D700 in AF speed/accuracy ;) in your opinion

Hey man, sorry I missed this.
The 7D's AF speed isn't quite as fast as the D700, nor as accurate. Take it with a grain of salt as I haven't taken too many photos with the 7D (it's for video, I had a 5DMII, but its abysmal AF and repeated calibration issues drove me to the Nikon), and the lenses I have for the 7D are pretty shallow DOF. Even when I stop them down a tad, they don't seem to be quite up to the D700, though close. :)

Hi. I'm Anton.
Personal work: Flickr (external link)
Gear, for those who want to know.

KenjiS
"Holy crap its long!"
21,169 posts
Gallery: 450 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Apr 20, 2011 02:52 |  #1507

^- Thanks for the input....

Gear, New and Old! RAW Club Member
Wanted: 70-200. Time and good health
Deviantart (external link)
Flickr (This is where my good stuff is!) (external link)

tim
Light Bringer
50,928 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Apr 20, 2011 06:35 as a reply to  @ KenjiS's post |  #1508

doublehmom wrote in post #12255287 (external link)
Okay, I am having a problem. I have a d40, which I LOVE!!! I just got a T1i for my bday. I keep getting underexposed with my canon but my d40's exposure is dead on and I love the pictures I get from it. I only take pictures of my kids and usually print them myself and I don't do a lot of editing, maybe cropping here and there but nothing else. What do you think I should do? I am going to keep practicing and see if I can get a decent exposure on the canon.

And I usually shoot in Manual, 200, f/8, 200-400ISO. When I use this with my Canon and Nikon I get totally different pictures. The canon is underexposed, so do I need to change the settings?

Tolerance is probably the key. Claimed ISO200 could be 150-300, 1/100th could be 1/60th to 1/150th, etc. If your cameras happen to be at opposite ends of the tolerances exposures could be way out.

In auto modes the exposure compensation between Nikon and Canon is totally different. With Nikon you're probably best leaving it on zero as it's pretty smart, except for extremes. With Canon you have to ride the EC all day or your photos exposures will be all over the place.

KenjiS wrote:
^- Curiously i must ask how the 7D is compared to the D700 in AF speed/accuracy in your opinion

Did I comment on this one yet?

D700 is always accurate to focus, and focuses quickly in good light. In low light it's useless without focus assist. Any focus problems are caused by me not the camera.

7D is fast to focus, but it randomly misses focus no matter what the conditions. Sometimes outside in great light (ISO100 F8 1/250th) it gets it really wrong, but then will focus perfectly with a 70-200 with exposures in the region of ISO3200 F2.8 1/50th. I just don't trust the copy of the camera and lenses I had.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

KenjiS
"Holy crap its long!"
21,169 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Apr 20, 2011 07:13 |  #1509

I think you missed it Tim, as i think i asked you as well!

Heh, I know how you feel on the 7D, My 7D with my Sigma 50mm f/1.4 (which isnt the best focusing lens in the world if most people are to be believed) Nails focus most of the time in the most horrible light, But then i go outside in great light with my 100-400 and it cant focus on the bricky side of a brick wall...

And lemee tell you, When you're going at 1/1000, f/8 and ISO800 and nothing in your image is sharp, Theres a big problem

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,727 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Apr 20, 2011 10:23 |  #1510

KenjiS wrote in post #12258528 (external link)
I think you missed it Tim, as i think i asked you as well!

Heh, I know how you feel on the 7D, My 7D with my Sigma 50mm f/1.4 (which isnt the best focusing lens in the world if most people are to be believed) Nails focus most of the time in the most horrible light, But then i go outside in great light with my 100-400 and it cant focus on the bricky side of a brick wall...

And lemee tell you, When you're going at 1/1000, f/8 and ISO800 and nothing in your image is sharp, Theres a big problem

I've always felt that the 100-400L was a temperamental lens. I never liked it. I liked the 300L f4 IS much better and of course the 200L f2 IS was the ultimate lens.

I can tell you that when I got the 7D when it was just released, I was unhappy with the AF myself. I sent it in to Canon and they adjusted it and I was pretty happy with it after that. Actually, the thing I liked the least about the camera was the IQ and the 1.6x crop. I bought it as a stop gap camera when I sold the 1DMKIII and was waiting for the 1D4 (We all know how that went!) so I only had it for just over a month. Sold it to a guy who shoots birds and motor sports and I believe he still uses the camera exclusively so there you go.

That said, if I had to pick one camera, it would have to be the D700, provided I have my lens lineup in order.

NYC Wedding Photographer (external link) | Blog (external link) | facebook (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Gear

KenjiS
"Holy crap its long!"
21,169 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Apr 20, 2011 19:42 |  #1511

^- People have me thinking my 100-400 MIGHT be defective but im pondering if the lens just honestly isnt as great as i once believed or something..the 200/2 is sadly out of my price range at the moment

I'm planning to order up the 400/5.6 and give it a shot, if i like it and feel they're superior ill keep it, I had the oppertunity to play with the 400/5.6 years ago and i loved the handling of the lens (Even more than the 100-400) and i could handhold that thing like you wouldnt believe (I did a couple shots in store at 1/30 and 1/60 and got sharp results...;))

The second reason is to rule out my 7D, I honestly do not feel my 7D is -entirely- at fault.....Or maybe im just deluding myself and dont want to believe my 7D has faults..or im just uncertain

Basically my logic is as follows:

-If i still have issues with the results im getting, it is likely the 7D and I'll give sending it out to Canon a try, even if it leaves me cameraless for a while

-If it fixes the issues I'm probubly just going to sell my 100-400, My 100-400 may NOT be defective after all it might just not give me the results i desire or its a combo of my 100-400 and my 7D...Regardless ill just post samples and 100% crops for people to judge for themselves in the sale :)

And Yes I've considered grabbing a 1D Mark III, They look like outstanding value, Only problem i have with one is the size and for some of my shooting the size IS a disadvantage :/

-edit- also for the record, I just do not really want to send -anything- to Canon until im very sure what needs to go in...

Do I sound like im being stupid?

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,727 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Apr 20, 2011 20:48 |  #1512

KenjiS wrote in post #12262731 (external link)
^- People have me thinking my 100-400 MIGHT be defective but im pondering if the lens just honestly isnt as great as i once believed or something..the 200/2 is sadly out of my price range at the moment

I'm planning to order up the 400/5.6 and give it a shot, if i like it and feel they're superior ill keep it, I had the oppertunity to play with the 400/5.6 years ago and i loved the handling of the lens (Even more than the 100-400) and i could handhold that thing like you wouldnt believe (I did a couple shots in store at 1/30 and 1/60 and got sharp results...;))

I had nothing but frustration shooting moving targets with the 100-400L. That said I've seen plenty of fantastic examples that perhaps it was just user error. The lens just felt "funky" too me. There was some weird learning curve involved. Again, it could have been me. All I know is when I sold it and got the 300 f4 IS, I was very happy with the results. Of course the 200L f2 IS was bliss! :)

KenjiS wrote in post #12262731 (external link)
The second reason is to rule out my 7D, I honestly do not feel my 7D is -entirely- at fault.....Or maybe im just deluding myself and dont want to believe my 7D has faults..or im just uncertain

Basically my logic is as follows:

-If i still have issues with the results im getting, it is likely the 7D and I'll give sending it out to Canon a try, even if it leaves me cameraless for a while

-If it fixes the issues I'm probubly just going to sell my 100-400, My 100-400 may NOT be defective after all it might just not give me the results i desire or its a combo of my 100-400 and my 7D...Regardless ill just post samples and 100% crops for people to judge for themselves in the sale :)

And Yes I've considered grabbing a 1D Mark III, They look like outstanding value, Only problem i have with one is the size and for some of my shooting the size IS a disadvantage :/

-edit- also for the record, I just do not really want to send -anything- to Canon until im very sure what needs to go in...

Do I sound like im being stupid?

Did you ever send the 7D in? If not, I would suggest doing it. As I mentioned before, I did, and felt a difference. So yeah, send it in and scratch that off of the check list.

1DMKIII is just the better camera compared to the 7D. No doubt about it.

NYC Wedding Photographer (external link) | Blog (external link) | facebook (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Gear

KenjiS
"Holy crap its long!"
21,169 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Apr 20, 2011 20:50 |  #1513

I'd rather be more certain my 7D has an issue, I only seem to notice problems with the 100-400 though..my other lenses behave fine..I'd just rather be more "confident" i guess before shipping off my only camera body for a while

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,727 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Apr 20, 2011 20:55 |  #1514

KenjiS wrote in post #12263076 (external link)
I'd rather be more certain my 7D has an issue, I only seem to notice problems with the 100-400 though..my other lenses behave fine..I'd just rather be more "confident" i guess before shipping off my only camera body for a while

I could be a combo of the camera and the lens, but if the other lenses are fine, then yeah, maybe it's just the "funky" 100-400L. Maybe rent a 70-200 f2.8 IS and see how that goes?

KenjiS
"Holy crap its long!"
21,169 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Apr 20, 2011 21:05 |  #1515

nicksan wrote in post #12263090 (external link)
I could be a combo of the camera and the lens, but if the other lenses are fine, then yeah, maybe it's just the "funky" 100-400L. Maybe rent a 70-200 f2.8 IS and see how that goes?

My only issue with renting is that if i find out that its the lens then im gonna want to keep whatever it is i get, and thus be out the rental money towards the purchase...

I was more thinking of buying whatever it is and returning it if it doesnt work out...

I dunno, Gotta think on that a bit

sponsored links

729,519 views & 0 likes for this thread
Got a Nikon? Share your thoughts and photos here or ask a question! (II)
FORUMS Nikon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Nikon Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.