Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 16 Apr 2011 (Saturday) 15:23
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Just wondering T1i vs T3

doublehmom
983 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Apr 16, 2011 15:23 |  #1

I was just wondering which one you think is better? I have a T1i already so I guess it really doesn't matter, I was just wondering which one is the best.
I only use my camera to take pictures of my kids.

sponsored links
Chippy569
Goldmember
1,851 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 16, 2011 15:26 |  #2

you're probably fine, the t3i is obviously somewhat better but the improvements are not worth the cost. Get better lenses instead, if anything.

Gear List
David Nichols (external link) - Sound Designer
How to export to Youtube HD from Quicktime

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,004 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 16, 2011 15:29 |  #3

I agree with Chippy. There are a few improvements in the latest camera, but given your use you probably arent using the camera you have to its capacity. If you have money to spend, spend it on better lenses or lighting. Thats where the biggest improvement is likely to occur.

doublehmom
THREAD ­ STARTER
983 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Apr 16, 2011 15:35 |  #4

Thanks Chippy596.

I really wanted to buy the T3i but I got my T1i for 543.00 brand new through the Air Force exchange so I went with it. I am going to buy some prime lenses because I really like the canon primes. I have a cheap nikon d40 and sb600 but I like the canon lenses and they are more affordable. So, I am going to invest in lenses for sure. I played around with the t3 was thinking I should have went with it being newer. I guess I just need to be happy with what I have but I can no longer stand the 3 focus points on the d40.

kfreels
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Apr 19, 2011 19:46 |  #5

Are you asking about the T3 or the T3i? They are different cameras. The T1i is definitely better than the T3. The T3i however is a better camera than the T1i and only slightly better than the T2i......but still not good enough to justify an upgrade. T1i is a VERY good camera and should serve you well for a long time.

I am serious....and don't call me Shirley.
Canon 7D and a bunch of other stuff

mikewinburn
Goldmember
1,609 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 19, 2011 19:52 |  #6

If I didn't have a camera and wanted to stay under $1000, then I would definitely get the T3i. I would not bother with the T3.

Conversely, having the T1i, I would NOT upgrade to the T3i... at the very least the 60d, but would aim for the 7D... but that's me

Gear: The Official Gear List / Market Feedback / Sig thread #2468
flickr (external link)
WinburnCreations (external link)

doublehmom
THREAD ­ STARTER
983 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Apr 19, 2011 21:03 |  #7

I was asking about the T3. I haven't seen a T3i yet but I figured it was much better than T1i, I got my T1i for 543.00 brand new so I bought it instead of the T2i or T3i so I can buy a speedlite and nifty fifty. I was just wondering what everyone on here thought about the T1 vs T3.

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Apr 19, 2011 21:11 |  #8

doublehmom wrote in post #12256379 (external link)
T1 vs T3.

Maybe the numbering scheme has you a bit confused here. They're a different class of camera. With their other names: 500D vs 1100D.
in other words, consumer level vs entry level

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

doublehmom
THREAD ­ STARTER
983 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Apr 19, 2011 21:29 |  #9

I am not confused. I was just wondering if some thought the T3 would be better since it is newer, even though it is entry level.

Blurr ­ Cube
...a lucky id-iot that didn't get electrocuted...
15,144 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Apr 19, 2011 23:09 |  #10

doublehmom wrote in post #12256545 (external link)
I am not confused. I was just wondering if some thought the T3 would be better since it is newer, even though it is entry level.

With the intro of the T3i, the T2i (which is nearly the same) becomes a better value. I think the T3i with the swivel screen is geared towards the video DSLR crowd. IF you don't think it's worth a jump from the T1i to the T2i, then it should be the same from the T1i to the T3i (which is more of a T2i plus, really). So, if the T1i is working for you in capturing memories, then investing on lenses and a flash is better value wise.

| Canon EOS Systems |

stevolution
383 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Apr 20, 2011 10:32 |  #11

From what I've read/heard, the T3 is just an upgrade of the Rebel XS. The T1i would still be a better choice.

"It's not what you look at that matters... It's what you see."

doublehmom
THREAD ­ STARTER
983 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Apr 20, 2011 12:48 |  #12

Thank you everyone. I feel better now about buying the T1i. Now to save up money for flash and lenses.

mikewinburn
Goldmember
1,609 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 20, 2011 22:49 |  #13

doublehmom wrote in post #12260423 (external link)
Thank you everyone. I feel better now about buying the T1i. Now to save up money for flash and lenses.

I got ya, Doublehmom... yes, the T3 would be a step down from the T1i

here's a link to compare the two, hopefully this will be helpful as well in other camera lens purchase. (scroll down to the bottom portion of the pages and look on the left for the list of lenses and camera.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Co​mparison-Tools.aspx (external link)

Gear: The Official Gear List / Market Feedback / Sig thread #2468
flickr (external link)
WinburnCreations (external link)

doublehmom
THREAD ­ STARTER
983 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Apr 21, 2011 10:05 |  #14

Well, I am trying to figure out which flash to buy now. I want a simple minded flash for a simple minded person...lol. I had a 580 ex 11 once upon a time...way too complicated for me. I am thinking of getting the new 270ex11 or the new 370 ex I think it is. I am waiting patiently for May so I can order one. My budget is 350.00 so what do you all think...should I buy the ones I mentioned or the 430 ex 2? I went to Best Buy to buy the 430 but it was at 399.99.

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,004 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 21, 2011 10:28 |  #15

doublehmom wrote in post #12265873 (external link)
Well, I am trying to figure out which flash to buy now. I want a simple minded flash for a simple minded person...lol. I had a 580 ex 11 once upon a time...way too complicated for me. I am thinking of getting the new 270ex11 or the new 370 ex I think it is. I am waiting patiently for May so I can order one. My budget is 350.00 so what do you all think...should I buy the ones I mentioned or the 430 ex 2? I went to Best Buy to buy the 430 but it was at 399.99.

Get the 430exII, but dont get it at best buy... The 270ex is underpowered and has limited features, especially for the price. The 430exII will allow you a full range of bouncing, and its not as complicated as it might seem.

Here is a link to B&H, how best buy can charge what they do and stay in business, they prey on the impatient and uninformed. http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …0EX_II_Speedlit​e_TTL.html (external link)

sponsored links

13,694 views & 0 likes for this thread
Just wondering T1i vs T3
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.