Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 19 Apr 2011 (Tuesday) 12:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

X-Rite ColorChecker Passport

TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Apr 19, 2011 18:43 as a reply to  @ post 12255547 |  #31

When you purchase the ColorChecker Passport and then register you get the download for the training video. I don't think it should really be called a training video but it does help explain the different aspects and features and how to use them. It's just not really thorough enough for someone new to this kind of thing.

Robert
RobertMitchellPhotogra​phy (external link)

sponsored links
Monito
460 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Apr 19, 2011 18:53 |  #32

I got one and have recently begun to deploy it. I have an answer and a question.

Why so many colours? Because the system not only does colour temperature white balancing, but it does colour profiling. That means if a lens is neutral except it has a greenish cast, you can't shift the colour temperature and iron that out. You have to have the software pull down part of the green response curve and leave the red and blue untouched.

Question: Is it possible to use the Color Checker without going through the bother and annoyance of creating a DuNG file? It would be great if I could apply a profile from it into Canon DPP or failing that, apply it into a 16 bit TIFF inside Photoshop CS2 (or soon CS5).

Note: Different models of sensors have different colour profiles. My 20D is bit brown compared to my 5D. Different lenses have different colour casts. Different lights have different colour profiles. Lights at different power settings have different colour casts. Profiling sorts it all out.

Canon System: fullframe DSLRs, lenses. Tripods, Alien Bees.
Always learning and striving to make better photographs.

Jdmhood
455 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Apr 19, 2011 20:53 |  #33

I find it that with the colorchecker, the colors are alot more accurate.

I made a kinda informative post about it awhile back in another section of the forum. There is a .gif where you can see the difference with the colorchecker passport and without.

https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=11419697&po​stcount=33

Bodies- 5D Mark II | 7D
Gear- Canon 100L IS Macro | Canon 135L | Sigma 50/1.4 EX DG | Canon 70-200L 2.8 Mark II | Canon 24-70L | Canon 50 f/1.8 | Canon 1.4 Extender | Speedlite 430 EX II | Speedlite 580 EX II | Kenko Extension Tube Set | Feisol CT-3442 Tripod | Feisol CM-1471 Monopod | Photo Clam PC-44NS ballhead
Currently Reading- Within the Frame: The Journey of Photographic Vision by David duChemin (external link)

FJ ­ LOVE
Cream of the Crop
20,883 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Apr 19, 2011 20:57 |  #34

Jdmhood wrote in post #12256321 (external link)
I find it that with the colorchecker, the colors are alot more accurate.

I made a kinda informative post about it awhile back in another section of the forum. There is a .gif where you can see the difference with the colorchecker passport and without.

https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=11419697&po​stcount=33

i remember that post, very well done :cool:

DILLIGAF about your bicycle or your gear

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,830 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 19, 2011 21:43 |  #35

Interesting link. It was super easy to use and I a created profile in no time. I immediately noticed the blues were darker/richer like the link shows. I did expect a bigger change but I guess it is a good thing I did not. I suppose that is profiling - getting it exact. I'm trying to understand comments about it over saturating colours. That is what I thought yesterday at first glance but I am probably used to seeing it a certain way.

I can sure see benefit to profiling and WB while shooting in conditions you are in.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Apr 19, 2011 21:48 |  #36

digital paradise wrote in post #12256643 (external link)
Interesting link. It was super easy to use and I a created profile in no time. I immediately noticed the blues were darker/richer like the link shows. I did expect a bigger change but I guess it is a good thing I did not. I suppose that is profiling - getting it exact. I'm trying to understand comments about it over saturating colours. That is what I thought yesterday at first glance but I am probably used to seeing it a certain way.

I can sure see benefit to profiling and WB while shooting in conditions you are in.

There are times when the deeply saturated colors aren't desirable and then you can either opt to not use the profile or just tweak it a bit.

Robert

Dave ­ Jr
Goldmember
1,873 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Apr 19, 2011 22:55 |  #37

TMR Design wrote in post #12256675 (external link)
There are times when the deeply saturated colors aren't desirable and then you can either opt to not use the profile or just tweak it a bit.

So, when you use this system, and you apply your profile, what do you do guys do with the saturation and vibrance sliders in ACR, set them to zero?

Dave Jr - MN
5 (external link)px | Gear

TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Apr 19, 2011 22:59 |  #38

Dave Jr wrote in post #12257053 (external link)
So, when you use this system, and you apply your profile, what do you do guys do with the saturation and vibrance sliders in ACR, set them to zero?

The controls in ACR are the same as in Lightroom. By default, the saturation and vibrance are at 0 and I don't touch them.

Robert

Dave ­ Jr
Goldmember
1,873 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Apr 19, 2011 23:08 |  #39

TMR Design wrote in post #12257063 (external link)
The controls in ACR are the same as in Lightroom. By default, the saturation and vibrance are at 0 and I don't touch them.

Ok, good to know. Depending on the camera profile I am using, I have always used a small positive saturation amount with Canon cameras, but then the reds tend to be overcooked. It will be interesting to see the difference that this makes from my normal processing.

Dave Jr - MN
5 (external link)px | Gear

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,830 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 19, 2011 23:21 |  #40

TMR Design wrote in post #12256675 (external link)

Yes. I have shot using DPP for years on faithful contrast -1 and saturation on +1 and achieved pleasing skin tones. I really like the improvements to ACR 6.3 and I am testing LR3. ACR does seem to produce more yellowish skin tones but perhaps I'm just used to the DPP settings so I'm adjusting to all this new stuff. They may be a little too cool.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

photopat
569 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 23, 2011 07:10 |  #41

I've done a dual-illuminant x-rite colorchecker passport profile for each of my camera at different ISO and I'm shooting the target too in some specific lighting situation.

However do you think it is worth creating a profile for each lens too? Doesn't the lens correction module in LR already correct for lens color issue?

toys list

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,081 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Apr 23, 2011 08:42 |  #42

I've found that a dual-luminant profile built into a preset for Lightroom/ACR provides good starting point for everything but the most critical work.
When I photograph art work I shoot a color checker with each piece for future use.
Even then I find that the base profile applied during import into Lightroom delivers accurate color.

I made my dual-luminant profile using mid-day sun and a tungsten source that was not contaminated.

Making a profile for each lens would tell you about color bias of the lenses but is probably not going to be really useful.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Apr 23, 2011 08:51 |  #43

dmward wrote in post #12277364 (external link)
Making a profile for each lens would tell you about color bias of the lenses but is probably not going to be really useful.

Agreed.

Robert

Cathpah
Goldmember
4,259 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Apr 23, 2011 11:21 |  #44

I have one and love mine. Frankly, for a lot of my portraiture I don't feel the need (often shift the WB for mood anyways), but when I'm shooting fashion for a designer (read: colors must be accurate) or shooting architecture for a designer/installer (again, colors must be accurate), it's absolutely priceless. Simple, works, good build quality, and small enough to forever live in my bag.

Architecture (external link) | Fashion + Beauty (external link) | Travel (external link) | Mayhem (external link) | Instagram (external link)
tools of the trade
My name is Jeff, and I'm addicted to shadows in fashion and brights in architecture. "Hiiiiii Jeff."

malow
169 posts
Joined May 2009

Apr 24, 2011 21:01 as a reply to  @ Cathpah's post |  #45

ive joined a mini colorchecker with WhiBal. can't live without it. ;)

IMAGE: http://i.imgur.com/FOUDw.jpg

mods: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/malow/ (external link)

sponsored links

18,229 views & 0 likes for this thread
X-Rite ColorChecker Passport
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.