Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Glamour & Nude Talk 
Thread started 20 Apr 2011 (Wednesday) 11:29
Search threadPrev/next

Being paid for workshops

TooManyHobbies
Goldmember
2,734 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Apr 20, 2011 11:29 |  #1

I have been teaching workshops on photography now and then on my own but recently made arrangements to do it through another photographer who has a training center setup with online registration, webinars, library for members, etc. The split is somewhee between 50/50 and 40/60 in his favor. I hold copyright to materials but license their use for future workshops in case i stop teaching.

How does this compare with the others experience for the free marketing and setup? I train and develop the classes.

~ Jeff

Canon EOS-1DX & 1Ds MkIII, 20D(IR), G12, G9, G5, ... Gear List
JMM Photography ~ Discovering Art in Everyday Lifeexternal link | Model Mayhem #675060external link

jaykilgore
685 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Apr 21, 2011 11:25 |  #2

Just to make sure I'm understanding;

Said company is partnering with you to teach at their venue.
They are using your name and work to elicit other photographers to come and learn from you.
You are going to teach and train people what you've spent time learning for 40%
You keep copyright, but give them license to make money off you after your long gone

Is that true?

If so, it doesn't compare to ANYTHING I'd EVER do.

My blog! (external link) | Glamour Model Magazine  (external link)

TooManyHobbies
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,734 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Apr 21, 2011 12:35 |  #3

Yes, their facilities, advertising, etc. All i do is show up and train and they make copies of my handout to distribute to students and keep in their library.

Well I am still negotiating but said min 50% and fee for materials if used and I don't train.

~ Jeff

JMM Photography ~ Discovering Art in Everyday Lifeexternal link | Model Mayhem #675060external link

jaykilgore
685 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Apr 21, 2011 14:02 |  #4

Hello friend,

I will say this and I want you to take it for what it's worth; Don't mind me, but I'm just a guy with a big mouth.

That being said, I had a chance to look over your work. After doing so, and reading and re-reading this thread, I'll say this; why not just do it totally free? Let me explain;

MANY of the people teaching "workshops" are imho, no where NEAR qualified to do so. However, they've figured if they get a chick naked, they can charge money to other up and coming photographers and make some money. You are NOT in that category. You are a damn fine artist and I even have a few of your images in my "Inspiration" folder (I didn't know it was you so it's nice to "meet" you) if you're willing to take 40 or even 50%, BOTH imho, are a huge insult to you, so you might as well do it free.

So my point is in a sea filled with people that should be attending classes, you are one that can comfortably give classes and taking 50% and less? on future sales is an insult and one you should pass up.

Again, I'm the guy with the big mouth and I'd MUCH rather do it on my own and keep 100% of profits than give anyone a dime of my hard work. With out you, they move on to someone less qualified and take advantage of them. I honestly feel as though you're being ripped off.

TooManyHobbies
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,734 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Apr 21, 2011 15:10 |  #5

Thanks for the compliments, i haven't updated anything in a long time and my new work is taking a big step forward. Loved your work btw.

I was looking at it from a less hassel and larger attendence standpoint making up for the 50/50 aspect. The other photographer could do it himself but is already as booked as he can be. I started doing workshops a while ago on request but don't do them that often so it kind of forces me to instead of keep making plans to.

I could easily do it on my own but... i guess i am being lazy until i hae more time to get my website back up

~ Jeff

jaykilgore
685 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Apr 21, 2011 15:19 |  #6

If you're ok with the split, then do it!

I'm a different kind of guy. I had someone tell me I was where I was at the time, because of him. He had NOTHING to do with my success, but because I asked him questions, he felt as if I owed him something. I said never again and since then, I do my own thing. I fail or succeed on my own merits. Thankfully, it's more succeeding than failing at this stage, but a ton of failing at the start lol.

Good luck to you either way!
Jay

1,596 views & 0 likes for this thread
Being paid for workshops
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Glamour & Nude Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.