Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 20 Apr 2011 (Wednesday) 16:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Getting a ring flash adapter

BrickR
Cream of the Crop
5,935 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 20, 2011 16:47 |  #1

Anyone have any experience with the Coco/Opteka/Cowboy Studio ring flash adapter? They all look like basically the same thing only rebranded and have the same price. Also looking at the Orbis. I don't plan on using the hell out of it or anything, but the Orbis is about $200. Much more than the others. Is the Orbis really that much better? Are the others that much worse?

My junk
The grass isn't greener on the other side, it's green where you water it.

sponsored links
themadman
Cream of the Crop
18,871 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Apr 20, 2011 16:52 |  #2

The Coco and Rayflash are the same product I am pretty sure, one is just cheaper. I am not sure, but I thought the Opteka and Cowboy are smaller?

Will | WilliamLiuPhotography.​com (external link) | Gear List and Feedback | CPS Member | Have you Pre-Ordered Your 3Dx Yet? | HorusBennu Discussion | In honor of Uncle Steve, thanks for everything! 10-5-2011

TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Apr 20, 2011 17:28 as a reply to  @ themadman's post |  #3

In terms of the overpriced plastic ring flash adapters that mount to the flash head of your Speedlight, I believe the Orbis to the best best. There are knockoff's and I'm sure some of them work as well but in many case they don't.

I've used the Ray Flash and the Orbis and the Ray Flash and its knockoff's don't produce the same kind of effect and I deem them better for fill or macro with even lighting. As a main light source I really can't say anything good about it.

The Orbis, on the other hand, has a very pleasing look and while there is still a small slice of the ring that has a much lower output and doesn't really close the ring, the catch light and the light more closely resembles that of a true ring flash than some of the others.

Unfortunately these devices are expensive and in the case of the Orbis, it's downright inconvenient to hold and something of a pain to mount to a light stand unless you're in a fixed position.

It's very hard to justify these adapters. The limitations are great and the usefulness is not that great.

Robert
RobertMitchellPhotogra​phy (external link)

BrickR
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,935 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 20, 2011 20:26 |  #4

Oh wow. I really didn't know they could be such a hassle. They have to be hand held?? Learn something new everyday!

My junk

TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Apr 20, 2011 20:32 as a reply to  @ BrickR's post |  #5

If you check out the Orbis site you'll see how it works. You place the Orbis over the flash head and then there are several ways to use it.

You either hand hold the flash/Orbis with your left hand and the camera in the right, get the arm that Enlight makes, which does the job but is a monster and quite ridiculous, in my opinion, or you mount your flash to a light stand (preferably with wheels). In the studio, that works great. You just wheel the stand around and then hold the camera correctly as you poke the lens through the Orbis to shoot.

When you really get down to it, none of those options is a great solution.

Robert

BrickR
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,935 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 20, 2011 22:06 |  #6

^No they are not. I'm really not interested in being restricted by the portability of my equipment. If that's the case, a DIY ring light would be a better choice for my use. Might have to spend the money burning a hole in my pocket on a different modifier this month... ;)

My junk

Csae
Goldmember
3,350 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Apr 21, 2011 02:29 |  #7

TMR Design wrote in post #12262979 (external link)
If you check out the Orbis site you'll see how it works. You place the Orbis over the flash head and then there are several ways to use it.

You either hand hold the flash/Orbis with your left hand and the camera in the right, get the arm that Enlight makes, which does the job but is a monster and quite ridiculous, in my opinion, or you mount your flash to a light stand (preferably with wheels). In the studio, that works great. You just wheel the stand around and then hold the camera correctly as you poke the lens through the Orbis to shoot.

When you really get down to it, none of those options is a great solution.

Whats wrong with the bracket arm ?

When i was looking for ring flashes, the orbis was the only speedlite related i was considering but it definitely had to include the bracket. It should be lighter to handhold then say a ABR800.

Feel free to call me Case.
CasePhoto.ca (external link) - FanPage (external link)
-Montreal based Photography.

TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Apr 21, 2011 08:16 as a reply to  @ Csae's post |  #8

Hi Case,

It's not that anything is actually wrong with it but from the ergonomic and practical standpoint, the size and shape make it awkward to work with and impossible to put down on a flat surface.

I realize that a true ring flash, when mounted to a camera, can be bulky but not in the same way as the Orbis arm.

That's just my opinion, of course.

Robert

Jdmhood
455 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Apr 21, 2011 23:41 |  #9

I have the Orbis ring flash and the arm attachment. Like Rob said, it is really bulky and does get in the way of shooting. I'm considering returning them.

Bodies- 5D Mark II | 7D
Gear- Canon 100L IS Macro | Canon 135L | Sigma 50/1.4 EX DG | Canon 70-200L 2.8 Mark II | Canon 24-70L | Canon 50 f/1.8 | Canon 1.4 Extender | Speedlite 430 EX II | Speedlite 580 EX II | Kenko Extension Tube Set | Feisol CT-3442 Tripod | Feisol CM-1471 Monopod | Photo Clam PC-44NS ballhead
Currently Reading- Within the Frame: The Journey of Photographic Vision by David duChemin (external link)

dave_p
675 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Apr 22, 2011 07:20 |  #10

You can make a DIY ring flash on the cheap if you have some tools.

http://strobist.blogsp​ot.com …-ring-flash-tutorial.html (external link)

TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Apr 22, 2011 08:49 as a reply to  @ dave_p's post |  #11

There are tons of DIY ring flashes out there. Sadly a lot of them suck. Just because you mount a mixing bowl or a wok to a flash doesn't immediately make it a good ring flash.

Robert

dave_p
675 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Apr 22, 2011 10:11 |  #12

TMR Design wrote in post #12271478 (external link)
There are tons of DIY ring flashes out there. Sadly a lot of them suck. Just because you mount a mixing bowl or a wok to a flash doesn't immediately make it a good ring flash.

Yes, and some don't. =)

TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Apr 22, 2011 10:25 as a reply to  @ dave_p's post |  #13

Well, that remains to be seen.

I've noticed that most often when I see videos and tutorials for building DIY ring flashes, the results are very disappointing and sample images are not that good.

It's one thing to figure out how to put the components together to get a flash to fire into a bowl, and it's another to do it in such a way that you actually produce pleasing light and light that replicates that of a real ring flash.

If the results were really amazing I'd be more more enthusiastic about these things.

Robert

BreitlingFan
Goldmember
1,427 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Apr 23, 2011 19:36 |  #14
bannedPermanent ban

I looked at an Orbis today.

That's gotta' be the most inconveniently designed piece of plastic I've ever encountered...

Gear List
"I feel bad for people who don't drink. They wake up in the morning and that's the best they're gonna' feel all day." - Dean Martin

TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Apr 23, 2011 19:37 |  #15

BreitlingFan wrote in post #12280169 (external link)
I looked at an Orbis today.

That's gotta' be the most inconveniently designed piece of plastic I've ever encountered...

LOL, yup.

Robert

sponsored links

2,726 views & 0 likes for this thread
Getting a ring flash adapter
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.