Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 23 Sep 2010 (Thursday) 20:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 60D Users, Unite!

this thread is locked
swetsastonic
440 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Apr 22, 2011 08:21 |  #7336

here's one with the 24-70 L lens that I have a question about...

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i28.photobucket​.com …areysean/bangba​ngclub.jpg (external link)

I think it looks good at this size, but when I blow it up to 50% (just to check it in more detail), the faces are a bit soft. is that normal because of the low light and no flash?

sponsored links
ranger50
Goldmember
1,212 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Apr 22, 2011 08:23 |  #7337

swetsastonic wrote in post #12271335 (external link)

QUOTED IMAGE

I think it looks good at this size, but when I blow it up to 50% (just to check it in more detail), the faces are a bit soft. is that normal because of the low light and no flash?

Yeah, low light and no flash would do it.;):D

EOS 60D/ 70-200L/ Sunpak PF30X/ Sunpak 6600PG platinum Plus ball head Tripod 59.95 / Pelican S.S. Large Military Camera case
It's better to have it and not need it, Than to need it, and not have it.;)

Immaculens
creeped by the TF....
13,242 posts
Gallery: 82 photos
Joined Jul 2009

Apr 22, 2011 08:24 |  #7338

swetsastonic wrote in post #12271335 (external link)

your aperture is f/2.8 so consider using f/8 to get more than one face in focus ~

Will immaculens.com (external link)

7Dmk II gripped | 5Dc | 150-600 (Σ) OS C | 55-250 IS STM | 100L f/2.8 IS Macro | 15-85 IS | 50 f/1.8 STM | 30 Σ f/1.4 'A'
Learn to love to do well, and you shall. ~ C. Poseidon

swetsastonic
440 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Apr 22, 2011 08:26 |  #7339

Immaculens wrote in post #12271344 (external link)

your aperture is f/2.8 so consider using f/8 to get more than one face in focus ~

very good point...I was just trying to get as much light in as possible with the 2.8, but stupidly wasn't considering the dof. thank you.

swetsastonic
440 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Apr 22, 2011 08:30 |  #7340

by the way, the guy on the left is the war photographer greg marinovich. I recommend checking out "the bang bang club," the film about him and his fellow photojournalists. really interesting.

Hardcore
Goldmember
2,668 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Apr 22, 2011 08:30 |  #7341

I highly doubt you would get a usuable image in-doors at F8 with no flash. I'd rather move more perpendicular to the people and open up and try to get them all in the depth of field. A lot of times noise from shooting at higher ISO's will soften up an image somewhat. They still print very well though from my experience, unless your cropping of course.

Flashing on an angle also brings problems with exposure as well. Closest to the camera can easily be at least 1-2 stops brighter than the farthest.

Name: Corey
GEAR
Website (external link)

Canon_Lover
Goldmember
2,695 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Apr 22, 2011 08:47 |  #7342

Hardcore wrote in post #12271282 (external link)
You can easily remove your focus screen in the 60d. The dust/hair may simply be blown off the focus screen once removed.

I'll give that a try, but am paranoid of getting dust onto the sensor in the process. :(

Would using a light brush hurt anything?

Sending the camera in might be something I do near the end of my warranty. Hopefully that will be the same time the 5d3 is available and I can possibly sell the 60D or turn it into a time lapse machine.

I'm really getting the FF upgrade itch here and really don't wish to go backwards with a lot of my 60D features by getting a 5d2. :lol::lol: Swivel screen being one of the main reasons I went crop. :cool:

My 500PX (external link)

Keyan
Cream of the Crop
5,319 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 22, 2011 08:54 |  #7343

Canon_Lover wrote in post #12271248 (external link)
Anyone else have dust in their viewfinder?

My 60D started out with none and it seems every time I take it bouncing around in my backpack, it knocks dust into the viewfinder!

The inside of my camera is pristine! Not a spec of dust to be seen anywhere when I open it up. Not even a microbe on my sensor, mirror, or anything.

What gives Canon? It's 2011 and you can't make sure it stays clean during assembly? For shame!

This is the only thing that severely disappoints me about the 60D I got. Seems viewfinders have taken a few steps back since the film days. Never had this happen once with my Pentax K1000 and Canon Elan 2e. Those suckers got mega dirty inside from lens changing outdoors all the time, but never got big "pubic hairs" in my field of view...

Where should I start looking for these guys? I really don't wish to blast air into there and dirty up my sensor.

Sorry for being negative about the 60D for once, but this is making me cry.
:cry::cry::cry::cry:

Clean during assembly? What are you talking about? That dust doesn't come in from assembly, it comes in from the outside. That part of the camera isn't hermetically sealed or anything, every time you move a variable-length zoom lens it "breaths" and sucks in air and blows air out, some of which is rammed through the camera body and blows dust around, with the viewfinder being one of the most common exits as it is easily removable and not air tight.

Canon warns in several places in the manual to not touch or brush the viewfinder - I think the screen and coatings are very fragile. As others have mentioned it is not hard to remove that part of the camera and lightly clean it off - if you have the screen off and use a blower I don't see how it would blow more dust around inside of the camera.

Cameras: 7D2, S100
Lenses: 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM, 18-135 STM, 24-70 f/4L IS USM, 50 f/1.4 USM,70-300L IS USM
Other Stuff: 430 EX II, Luma Labs Loop 3, CamRanger

Memory_Junction
317 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 22, 2011 08:57 |  #7344

swetsastonic wrote in post #12271380 (external link)
by the way, the guy on the left is the war photographer greg marinovich. I recommend checking out "the bang bang club," the film about him and his fellow photojournalists. really interesting.

He shoots the right brand of camera, so he must be good!

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain.
http://www.memory-junction.com/external link

Canon_Lover
Goldmember
2,695 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Apr 22, 2011 09:04 |  #7345

Keyan wrote in post #12271509 (external link)
Clean during assembly? What are you talking about? That dust doesn't come in from assembly, it comes in from the outside. That part of the camera isn't hermetically sealed or anything, every time you move a variable-length zoom lens it "breaths" and sucks in air and blows air out, some of which is rammed through the camera body and blows dust around, with the viewfinder being one of the most common exits as it is easily removable and not air tight.

Canon warns in several places in the manual to not touch or brush the viewfinder - I think the screen and coatings are very fragile. As others have mentioned it is not hard to remove that part of the camera and lightly clean it off - if you have the screen off and use a blower I don't see how it would blow more dust around inside of the camera.

OK, thanks for the info and corrections. :lol:

While not new to photography, I am very new to digital these days. Never had to worry about dust on my film like I do on the sensor. Blast the sucker with air and the next frame of film would be squeaky clean. :)

My 500PX (external link)

Rivest
Cream of the Crop
6,678 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Apr 22, 2011 09:05 |  #7346

Canon_Lover wrote in post #12271470 (external link)
I'll give that a try, but am paranoid of getting dust onto the sensor in the process. :(

Would using a light brush hurt anything?

Sending the camera in might be something I do near the end of my warranty. Hopefully that will be the same time the 5d3 is available and I can possibly sell the 60D or turn it into a time lapse machine.

I'm really getting the FF upgrade itch here and really don't wish to go backwards with a lot of my 60D features by getting a 5d2. :lol::lol: Swivel screen being one of the main reasons I went crop. :cool:

Do like me, get a 5D classic, best of both world :)

Hi, I'm David.

BXPhoto
Goldmember
2,170 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Apr 22, 2011 09:19 |  #7347

Or keep the 60d and get a 5dmkII refurb.

My name is Andrew and I like Canon's!!!
Gearlist and Feedback
Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)
BeXposed Photography on ModelMayhem (external link)

CanonEOS
700 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 22, 2011 09:32 |  #7348
bannedPermanent ban

SuicidnS13
Any pictures?

Canon_Lover wrote in post #12271559 (external link)
While not new to photography, I am very new to digital these days. Never had to worry about dust on my film like I do on the sensor. Blast the sucker with air and the next frame of film would be squeaky clean. :)

I also read don't use pressurized air in the dslr camera then you be sorry.:rolleyes:

Got dust problems look here.
http://www.betterphoto​.com/article.asp?id=91 (external link)

Gear List

Canon_Lover
Goldmember
2,695 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Apr 22, 2011 09:48 |  #7349

Rivest wrote in post #12271566 (external link)
Do like me, get a 5D classic, best of both world :)

It might be wise for the work I plan on doing to keep the 60D for a dedicated telephoto setup and get a 5D for wider shots.

I really hate changing lenses out in the dusty outdoors with digital cameras, and this would solve that problem.

The upcoming 200-400 2.8 1.4x with the built in converter is totally going to hurt people like myself in the bank account area. :eek::eek: Canon sees a clear need for a sealed lens that covers a lot of range without being taken off the body.

My 500PX (external link)

Glueeater
598 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 22, 2011 09:52 |  #7350

CanonEOS wrote in post #12271309 (external link)
So you cheated ok;)

Haha, I suppose? It's an HDR technique. I shot three pictures at three exposures in manual mode, you have to at least give me that much?

FLICKR (external link) // Portfolio (external link)5Diii + 5Dii + 60D | canon17-40/4.0 | | sigma35/1.4 | sigma50/1.4 | sigma85/1.4 | canon70-200/2.8 | yn565+568

sponsored links

1,700,747 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon 60D Users, Unite!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.