Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 12 Apr 2011 (Tuesday) 09:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Hot Folder Printing - Mac

taygull
Goldmember
3,091 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Apr 12, 2011 09:46 |  #1

Good morning everyone,

Sorry I've not been around much...just shooting and edting!

I've never done the whole "print on demand" event photography but will be this Saturday. I've purchased a die sub printer but since I'll be doing this on the rare occasion I'd prefer not to invest a ton in software.

I'm using a Mac and would love to know if someone has a "home built" solution for hot folder printing. Simply I want to tether to my laptop and when the .jpg shows up in a folder it auto prints a single 5"x7" print. Number one concern is there is not enough time to import into photoshop, crop, and hit print.

Thanks!

www.chrisfritchiestudi​os.com (external link)
McKinney, TX

sponsored links
Alex_Venom
Goldmember
1,624 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Apr 12, 2011 09:59 |  #2

Well, I'm not that deep into this subject, don't even know if it is possible, but I guess (just guess) the easier way to do it would be to write an Automator script?
Not sure if it works with printing, but I know it works really well with folders and files management.. so if it can print, would probably solve your problem. ;)

Photography is about GEAR and not talent or practice. Practice won't make you a better photographer. Expensive equipment will. =D
"Nobody can buy a scalpel and become a doctor, but anyone can buy a camera and become a photographer."

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 12, 2011 11:50 |  #3

I don't know of software that would do that -- what I've seen just has the images display first and then you pick and choose what you want to print.

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

taygull
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,091 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Apr 12, 2011 12:40 |  #4

There are several applications that do it, I just don't want to spend $300-$400 to do it.

McKinney, TX

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 12, 2011 13:37 |  #5

Ah, well, you know more about it than I do! Specialized apps:)!

Tony
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

bdp23
471 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Apr 12, 2011 13:57 |  #6

Free on OSX.
Folder Actions, or Automator actions.

You can print by directly dropping files onto configured printers listed in the ~/Library/Printers folder. Essentially your automatic actions do just that.

Right Click, Enable Folder Actions, select a script that does what you want (like this one: http://hints.macworld.​com …p?story=2004110​4011839378 (external link) )

more help:
http://www.simplehelp.​net …with-real-world-examples/ (external link)

I like making photos and sometimes I think I'm getting better... then I realise it doesn't matter. I like making photos!

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 12, 2011 14:12 |  #7

Good info, bdp, especially since the OP is on a Mac!

Tony

bdp23
471 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Apr 13, 2011 00:24 |  #8

It's been a while since I did much with folder actions.
I think they're now part of Automator, so you can open Automator and create a workflow or a Folder Action.

I'd set up two folders, one 'To Print', the other 'Printed'.
Do a 10second loop that looks for any file in 'To Print', prints it, then moves it to the 'Printed' folder.

If you set up a workflow you can just record your actions (the computer watches what you do) and the workflow can be used like a program; just run it when you need it.
Folder actions aren't much different, but they're attached to the folder and live there all the time.

If you get more fancy with the Automator script you can add dialogs that ask for the first and second folders and even which printer to print to, while the basic way of doing it would kinda be 'hardwired' so to speak.

The Right-Click option is now called "Folder Actions Setup..." which lets you assign scripts to the folder, but to create an action use Automator.

I like making photos and sometimes I think I'm getting better... then I realise it doesn't matter. I like making photos!

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 13, 2011 00:59 |  #9

How does the automatic print option work if, as the OP mentioned, you are shooting tethered with a camera that captures in a 2:3 apect ratio sends it into a folder, and the OP wants a 5x7 print -- will it just do the arbitrary crop that a One Hour Photo would do?

A 5x7 is actually about as "kind" of an aspect ratio as you can get, other than a 4x6, regarding the arbitrary crop, but it seems that it would be good for the OP to be prepared and to frame shots for the eventual crop.

Tony

bdp23
471 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Apr 13, 2011 12:17 |  #10

If you set the default paper type and options to suit the 5x7 paper then you'll get something very useable. It's like pressing the printer icon on the toolbar in Microsoft Word, which skips the print dialog you get when you press Ctrl-P or hit Print from inside the menus.

taygull
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,091 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Apr 14, 2011 15:05 |  #11

Thanks Guys,

We've done the automator steps and are running into two problems.

1. Printer error "wrong paper size" - We've tried changing the default paper size to 5x7 and nothing.
2. When we print from a dialogue box in Photoshop (which we don't want to do) we don't get a full bleed.

Any thoughts?

McKinney, TX

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Apr 15, 2011 10:02 |  #12

No idea really, but couldn't you use automator to invoke a PS action? You can record anything in a PS action, including printing dialog & printer driver settings.

http://tv.adobe.com …own/printing-experiments/ (external link)

At about 21 minutes.

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

taygull
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,091 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Apr 19, 2011 12:17 |  #13

Just thought I'd give you guys an update!

I ended up buying "Printripper", it was $139.00 and was amazing how well it worked. In about 4 hours I shot 180 images and printed them with not 1 single problem. I'm going to tinker with the software as it does have some neat options. I did this pretty much "pro-bono" with the hopes of generating some portrait sessions, turned out we secured almost 20 names and phone numbers for my sales girl to call on. I'll be looking to do more of these events for this exact purpose. I'm anxious to see how many of these leads turn into paying clients.

All in all it went fantastic.

McKinney, TX

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 19, 2011 15:08 |  #14

Glad you found something that worked well. You were using the Mac, right?

Tony

taygull
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,091 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Apr 23, 2011 06:45 |  #15

Yes, Mac Book Pro

McKinney, TX

sponsored links

10,273 views & 0 likes for this thread
Hot Folder Printing - Mac
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.