Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 03 May 2008 (Saturday) 22:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1DS MkI owners unite!

E ­ James ­ P
Goldmember
1,144 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Apr 22, 2011 18:12 |  #931

Yes I agree trees only have those flowers for such a short amount of time, But they can offer so many possibility's while here. And the basket has promise maybe a different angle or tighten the crop up some. The table has an interesting pattern and color but it take attention from the basket.
At least that my opinion of this last one ;) and I like the softness you added to your second picture of tree flowers Good job on that.:D

Gearflickr (external link)
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I’m not sure about the former."
- Albert Einstein (1879-1955) . "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana

sponsored links
FCMR
167 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Apr 22, 2011 18:44 |  #932

Thanks E James
I agree with you on the basket composition, That could have been better
I was trying to incorporate the table in a specific way.
The table was taken out of the attic and dusted off since the early 70's
You may have noticed the psychedelic colors
Perhaps I should use it in an other setting

1D classic (2x) ~ 1Ds classic ~ 7D ~ S95
Tamron AF 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di LD ~ EF 50 f/1.8 II ~ EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM ~ EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS ~ EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS kit lens ~ Tamron SP 17-35mm F2.8-4 ASPH LD ~ Canon EF 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 II USM

E ­ James ­ P
Goldmember
1,144 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Apr 22, 2011 21:38 |  #933

That explains the color :lol: ,I have a couple old hippie friends who would like that table.

And I have this little table that needs to start being used.

IMAGE: http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5182/5644665437_c639d20867_m.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/kohr2000/564466​5437/  (external link)
ST01L-3 (external link) by E James P (external link), on Flickr

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I’m not sure about the former."
- Albert Einstein (1879-1955) . "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana

robgr85
890 posts
Joined May 2007

Apr 23, 2011 09:29 |  #934

Just got 50EX from ebay, and its HSM seems to be waay to loud to me (but works and the lens gives sharp images) :/ In the next week I will take it to technician :-/, and if he agrees that there is some problem, I will have start paypal dispute...

Blog (external link)

E ­ James ­ P
Goldmember
1,144 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Apr 23, 2011 10:29 |  #935

Good luck

E ­ James ­ P
Goldmember
1,144 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Apr 23, 2011 11:35 |  #936

A strange little plant that kept growing even when there was snow and the temp went below 0.
How it did that is because I think it is located near my basement and it kept the ground from freezing.

IMAGE: http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5024/5619320445_ba6f2173a8_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/kohr2000/561932​0445/  (external link)
Flowers in backyard (external link) by E James P (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5101/5619319715_b2e57f93f0_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/kohr2000/561931​9715/  (external link)
Flowers in backyard (external link) by E James P (external link), on Flickr

E ­ James ­ P
Goldmember
1,144 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Apr 23, 2011 11:38 |  #937

And here was a lucky shot

IMAGE: http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5028/5614914170_eb3de093f7_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/kohr2000/561491​4170/  (external link)
Crow and the Moon (external link) by E James P (external link), on Flickr

elmoloveftl
31 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Apr 23, 2011 13:02 as a reply to  @ E James P's post |  #938

I was bleeding when I shot this. I fell down, busted my 70-210 f/4 off at the mount and did some pretty serious damage to the top and eyepiece of the 1Ds. It's got a crack in the magnesium, and the viewfinder is pushed downward about 2-3mm. Of course, it still works just fine.

The Sigma 24-60 f/2.8 can take pretty great pictures, but it requires some coaxing.

***I need to know what the big OE eyecup is called. (Eb, Ec, Eg???) All the ones on Amazon look too small.***

IMAGE: http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5308/5645587898_c33b8c2ddc_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/mycutelife/5645​587898/  (external link)
Pureskin.4.20.2011 172 (external link) by MyCuteLife (external link), on Flickr

:rolleyes:
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/mycutelife/sets​/ (external link)
http://www.facebook.co​m/K.ElmoMoore.Love (external link)

E ­ James ­ P
Goldmember
1,144 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Apr 23, 2011 14:07 |  #939

Eyecup Ec-II on pg.168 in manual, And if you search you might find the part list pdf for the 1Ds somewhere here on potn. Some one had posted several canon cameras part list.
Good to hear the camera still works.

Jason ­ C
do I need to submit a resume...?
4,901 posts
Gallery: 157 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Dec 2007

Apr 23, 2011 20:50 |  #940

Nice capture up there Elmo! Was that with the Sigma? Is the lighting natural?

Jason C

Equipment & Feedback
"I am not interested in shooting new things-I am interested to see things new"--Ernst Haas

dandan1
Goldmember
1,223 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Apr 23, 2011 23:47 |  #941

This is the exact piece that I ordered from Amazon for my 1Ds2, which is an exact/direct replacement for the original, which will work with the 1Ds1 as well:

http://www.amazon.com/​gp/product/B0000C4G8B (external link)

ISOlution|Photography (external link)

fWord
Goldmember
2,637 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Apr 26, 2011 08:10 as a reply to  @ dandan1's post |  #942

In a recent vacation, I had a chance to dust off the old 1Ds and go take some pictures...it's been a while since I put this camera to some work.

Unfortunately the troubles started on day 2 of the trip, with the camera refusing to work intermittently. Guess I'd describe it here to see if anyone can help, but I'd be hunting down a local service center tomorrow as well.

See...from time to time, the camera throws up a 'CF Card Error' message in the top LCD screen. The camera then says the CF card is not formatted and prompts me to format. When I attempt to do so, the activity light goes on but the camera seemingly locks up in this manner and does not format the card at all. Sometimes I get an 'Err 02' message in the top LCD screen and sometimes it's an 'Err 99'. Essentially when all this happens, turning the switch to 'Off' does not power down the camera and I need to remove the battery or the CF card to do so.

On some occasions the camera actually allows me to shoot a photo. The activity light goes on and stays on, and the camera freezes up again. These issues continued to the point that my camera was completely unusable towards the end of the last day of the trip, and I borrowed my Dad's camera to photograph instead. Replacing the battery with another, or changing the CF card, or even changing the lens does not resolve the issue. And then, this evening, my camera has seemingly begun to work again.

So this is very sad indeed. Nevertheless, despite my poor vision (uninspired and severely out of practice) and camera troubles, I did return from the trip with some photos. But I certainly hope these are not some of the last photos to ever come from my beloved 1Ds. Considering the age, I do accept that something serious could be going on, and repairs may not make sense financially. However, let's keep our fingers crossed on that.

The recent trip to Wilsons Promontory and surrounds (located in Victoria, Australia) probably served to whet our appetite more than anything else. This is because many parts of the park were badly affected by the recent storm and flooding, and rendered inaccessible to most tourists. We certainly need to make another visit in due time.

1. Rainbow seen from Millers Road, Yanakie
Lens used: Leica Telyt (M39 Visoflex) 400mm f/5

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i269.photobucke​t.com …4/liquidkiwi/32​6V5453.jpg (external link)

The weather on day 1 of the trip was hardly welcoming: pretty dreary, pretty wet. Photographing landscapes was difficult because we had to contend with blown-out skies. The sun was finally out in the evening so I took a stroll out onto the main road from our motel at Yanakie. And then I saw this. I love rainbows.

2. Tarra-Bulga National Park
Lens used: Nikon 14-24mm f/2.8

http://i269.photobucke​t.com …4/liquidkiwi/32​6V5512.jpg (external link)

Walking through the trail and past dense vegetation, I felt a sense of desperation. The forest was remarkably beautiful, yet I was unable to produce anything satisfactory nor representative of the area. The dimness of light added a little more challenge to the act of photography. Ultimately it felt right to just work with the light, instead of against it.

3. Norman Beach

http://i269.photobucke​t.com …4/liquidkiwi/32​6V5566.jpg (external link)

As you'd imagine, I was again pretty desperate here, to be looking for abstracts considering the sheer vastness of the beach and sea. There were throngs of people everywhere, fishing, surfing, having lunch, or just roaming around. I saw these puddles and patterns in the sand, left behind by the receding tide. At once they reminded me of Chinese calligraphy, though not as intricate. Nevertheless, I made the attempt to reproduce the effect of the puddles in a photo.

4. South Gippsland

http://i269.photobucke​t.com …4/liquidkiwi/32​6V5609.jpg (external link)

The areas which we traversed are characterised by scenes such as this: wide, sweeping landscapes dotted with trees, cows and sometimes bales of hay. The light at sunset added some much-needed 'oomph'.

5. Sunrise

http://i269.photobucke​t.com …4/liquidkiwi/32​6V5622.jpg (external link)

Now I wouldn't get up before sunrise to go to work. However, getting up before sunrise just to photograph the sunrise simply felt 'right'. Fearing that my sunrise/ sunset times were incorrect, my Dad and I rushed to this location. We were well on time to watch the sun go up over the horizon.

6. Mullet at Fish Creek
Lens used: Leica Summicron-R 90mm f/2

http://i269.photobucke​t.com …4/liquidkiwi/32​6V5681.jpg (external link)

We passed through the little town of Fish Creek on the way up to our motel at Yanakie on the first day but didn't stop to take a look. However I got a quick glance at something which I thought was so hilarious that it deserved a second visit, so we stopped by on the way back home in Melbourne. The mullet sculpture resting at the top of the Promontory Gate Hotel is almost iconic, but it just seemed wrong to me. It looked like a ginormous fish that had died many days ago and was flung up onto the building to bake in the sun. Complete with tattered pectoral and tail fins and stunned eyes, it was literally 'LOL' funny.

So that's all for now. Let's hope the 1Ds will live to serve on another trip.

LightWorks Portfolio (external link)
Night Photography Tutorial: Basics & Minutiae (external link)
Gear List (Past & Present)
The Art of Composition IS the Art of Photography.

1ds4Me
230 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Oct 2010

Apr 27, 2011 21:19 |  #943

fword, thanks for sharing some beautiful pictures. Hope to see your 1ds back in the saddle again.

Jason ­ C
do I need to submit a resume...?
4,901 posts
Gallery: 157 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Dec 2007

Apr 27, 2011 22:57 |  #944

fWord wrote in post #12294834 (external link)
In a recent vacation, I had a chance to dust off the old 1Ds and go take some pictures...it's been a while since I put this camera to some work.

Unfortunately the troubles started on day 2 of the trip, with the camera refusing to work intermittently. Guess I'd describe it here to see if anyone can help, but I'd be hunting down a local service center tomorrow as well.

See...from time to time, the camera throws up a 'CF Card Error' message in the top LCD screen. The camera then says the CF card is not formatted and prompts me to format. When I attempt to do so, the activity light goes on but the camera seemingly locks up in this manner and does not format the card at all. Sometimes I get an 'Err 02' message in the top LCD screen and sometimes it's an 'Err 99'. Essentially when all this happens, turning the switch to 'Off' does not power down the camera and I need to remove the battery or the CF card to do so.

On some occasions the camera actually allows me to shoot a photo. The activity light goes on and stays on, and the camera freezes up again. These issues continued to the point that my camera was completely unusable towards the end of the last day of the trip, and I borrowed my Dad's camera to photograph instead. Replacing the battery with another, or changing the CF card, or even changing the lens does not resolve the issue. And then, this evening, my camera has seemingly begun to work again.

So this is very sad indeed. Nevertheless, despite my poor vision (uninspired and severely out of practice) and camera troubles, I did return from the trip with some photos. But I certainly hope these are not some of the last photos to ever come from my beloved 1Ds. Considering the age, I do accept that something serious could be going on, and repairs may not make sense financially. However, let's keep our fingers crossed on that.

So that's all for now. Let's hope the 1Ds will live to serve on another trip.

Good to hear from you again. Sorry about the 1Ds news, I'm praying for her.

Jason C

Equipment & Feedback
"I am not interested in shooting new things-I am interested to see things new"--Ernst Haas

fWord
Goldmember
2,637 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Apr 28, 2011 00:31 |  #945

1ds4Me wrote in post #12306551 (external link)
fword, thanks for sharing some beautiful pictures. Hope to see your 1ds back in the saddle again.

Jason C wrote in post #12307204 (external link)
Good to hear from you again. Sorry about the 1Ds news, I'm praying for her.

Jason C

Good day folks, and thanks. The camera is currently at the service center. The person who received my camera at reception was probably a technician stepping in help ease the length of the queue (which was like 5 people).

Fortunately (or unfortunately) the camera promptly demonstrated the error in front of the receptionist and he seemed to know what was going on. Citing a possible malfunctioning circuit board, the cost to repair would be near $400. If it were just the CF card contacts, then the bill would be less.

Got to say I felt a little torn at that time. $400 is quite a lot of money to put forward to repair an old camera (especially since other things could start to malfunction from here on), however considering how much the 1Ds is actually worth to me, the choice was fairly straight forward. They will check the rest of the camera over to make sure nothing else is about to give way. But as we all know, it's usually difficult to predict if something in a camera is going to malfunction.

LightWorks Portfolio (external link)
Night Photography Tutorial: Basics & Minutiae (external link)
Gear List (Past & Present)
The Art of Composition IS the Art of Photography.

sponsored links

387,197 views & 56 likes for this thread
1DS MkI owners unite!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.