Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 20 Apr 2011 (Wednesday) 11:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Saberstrip anyone?

BrutusG
83 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 23, 2011 02:16 |  #31

flowrider wrote in post #12276166 (external link)
Maybe I'm cheap but does this not seem like a potential DIY?

For sure...I saw them yesterday and I'm already thinking about taking a dremel to some PVC. I just have to figure out how to mount the cap onto the lightstand/adapter.

sponsored links
MrScott
243 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Apr 23, 2011 10:11 |  #32

BrutusG wrote in post #12276549 (external link)
I just have to figure out how to mount the cap onto the lightstand/adapter.

Ha - 7" PVC fits perfectly into a standard AB reflector! Here's my design from 2007, which was wrapped with white seamless paper around the steel rods (heavy)... Not using it anymore, but I want to redesign it with something like the Savage Trans-Lum material that is lighter and should be self-supporting when mounted in any position other than vertical.

AB400's at each end turned this idea into a great hair light which could be mounted very close to the ceiling. 7" x 48" long was a little too long for a single light though.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

BrandonSi
Nevermind.. I'm silly.
5,306 posts
Gallery: 62 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2004

Apr 23, 2011 16:32 |  #33

mckinleypics wrote in post #12273974 (external link)
Yeah, but where are you going to find someone with a used light meter for sale?

Hah! I think I know a guy..

[ www (external link)ยท flickr (external link)]

Mr.Beast
THREAD ­ STARTER
202 posts
Joined Nov 2010

May 16, 2011 17:15 as a reply to  @ BrandonSi's post |  #34

Okay, so I've had my saberstrip for about a month now, and I think I'm starting to really like it. I'm only coming from having used umbrellas (and homemade snoots and grids), so I've still got a whole world of light modifiers to experience.

From what I can tell, it's kind of in the middle of soft and hard light. And, it doesn't seem to lose too much more light than any of my umbrellas, so that's nice. I really like being able to control where my light falls, which you can't really do with a shoot through umbrella. And when I can get them in, the catchlights it produces are really cool. I love that it is very wind resistant. I had a shoot with a friend last weekend, and I would currently be looking for replacement umbrellas if it weren't for this.

Now, for what I don't really like...I find the actual appearance of it a little DIY looking. Which is what this whole thing was to me; a diy project that was fully realized and marketed. The build quality is actually really ok, but because of the overall design of it I can find myself worrying about if it ever fell too hard, or some enquiring mind grabbed the sides of it too roughly. I mean, I don't baby it, but I don't throw it around like my umbrellas. That may be because of the $130 price tag compared to the more easily replaced $15-$30 umbrella.
Also, the mounting options are a little sparse. It took a little doing to figure out how to get my flash to fire with what I already had. I initially put a Cactus V4 trigger on top of a stroboframe cold shoe, but that whole deal seemed a little too unstable. I ended up buying a cold shoe with a pc and 3.5mm input. So now my trigger resides on the outside of the strip, held by an elastic wristband thingy. When I upgrade to cybersyncs or poket wizards, it'll probably look a bit cleaner.

For the future of the saberstrip I'd like to see a few changes.
1.Make the way the flash attaches some kind of latching configuration.I have already started to strip the included screws from changing my setup a few times. However, if they end up selling replacement flash attachment things, that'll probably be just as well.

2.Make the diffusion fabric user replaceable. I mean, it's tough and feels like it'll hold well enough, but what about those accidents in which it can't survive? And when it's starts to yellow after just being on there?

3.Add a strap! I think of it as a really portable and mobile light modifier. It'd be nice to be able to free up my hands without having to set it on the ground.

That's about it. It's a nice modifier and I'm happy with it as is. The changes would just make it perfect for my specific needs. All that said, here's an image taken with this flying a couple feet away from and above the subject.

IMAGE: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2765/5728105836_0115fec7bd_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …/53030046@N08/5​728105836/  (external link)
Bari-Finals-21 (external link) by TheCartoonGiant (external link), on Flickr

5D classic - 1000d - 28/2.8 - 50/1.8 - 85/1.8 - Mamiya RB67
flickr (external link)

ShaneHunter
Goldmember
2,181 posts
Joined Apr 2009

May 16, 2011 22:15 |  #35
bannedPermanent ban

For $135 that doesn't seem much softer than bare flash.

Bryson Shane Hunter (external link) Unicorns are my thing.
Flickr (external link)
SmugMug (external link)
I don't have any gear, I make photos with paint cans. (external link)

wolfden
Goldmember
1,439 posts
Joined May 2008

May 17, 2011 06:28 |  #36

flowrider wrote in post #12276166 (external link)
Maybe I'm cheap but does this not seem like a potential DIY?

Ran across this a while ago
http://www.flickr.com …/21325467@N03/5​182569252/ (external link)

~KJS~
Photos by KJS (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | 500px (external link) | Google+ (external link)
Canon 60D Shooter

Village_Idiot
GREATEST POTN MEMBER EVER
3,695 posts
Joined Jan 2007

May 17, 2011 08:42 as a reply to  @ post 12260379 |  #37

:shock:

If only this were waterproof, I'd be on the Saberstrip like channels on TV...or something clever like that...

My village called. I was told that they missed me.

Speedotron users, untie!

Mr.Beast
THREAD ­ STARTER
202 posts
Joined Nov 2010

May 18, 2011 12:10 |  #38

ShaneHunter wrote in post #12423498 (external link)
For $135 that doesn't seem much softer than bare flash.

No it really doesn't seem too much softer. The fact that I also almost blew out the skin tones in the above photo doesn't really help too much. I got overzealous and made the image a bit too contrasty in Lightroom.:oops:
I'm thinking maybe I coulda went with a softbox, but I already have access to soft light.(Albeit, not too controllable with an umbrella). Besides, the only softboxes in this price range are between 21-24 inches. When I get a softbox, it's gonna be the Westcott 50!:cool: So, I'm thinking of the saberstrip as the Ipad of light modifiers. A cool neat thing to have, but obviously not entirely necessary.

flickr (external link)

ShaneHunter
Goldmember
2,181 posts
Joined Apr 2009

May 18, 2011 12:17 |  #39
bannedPermanent ban

Mr.Beast wrote in post #12433971 (external link)
No it really doesn't seem too much softer. The fact that I also almost blew out the skin tones in the above photo doesn't really help too much. I got overzealous and made the image a bit too contrasty in Lightroom.:oops:
I'm thinking maybe I coulda went with a softbox, but I already have access to soft light.(Albeit, not too controllable with an umbrella). Besides, the only softboxes in this price range are between 21-24 inches. When I get a softbox, it's gonna be the Westcott 50!:cool: So, I'm thinking of the saberstrip as the Ipad of light modifiers. A cool neat thing to have, but obviously not entirely necessary.

If you're using a hotshoe strobe, you're probably not going to have enough power to get anything useful out of a 50" softbox. The westcott apollo series is perfect for small strobes.

Bryson Shane Hunter (external link) Unicorns are my thing.
Flickr (external link)
SmugMug (external link)
I don't have any gear, I make photos with paint cans. (external link)

Mr.Beast
THREAD ­ STARTER
202 posts
Joined Nov 2010

May 18, 2011 13:13 |  #40

ShaneHunter wrote in post #12434015 (external link)
If you're using a hotshoe strobe, you're probably not going to have enough power to get anything useful out of a 50" softbox. The westcott apollo series is perfect for small strobes.

Hopefully by that time I'll have a b1600 as well. If not, I'll stick all the small flashes I got in there and hope for the best!

flickr (external link)

sponsored links

14,916 views & 0 likes for this thread
Saberstrip anyone?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.