Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 24 Apr 2011 (Sunday) 08:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

A Camera Flash that doesn't use Batteries?

wowa
195 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Apr 24, 2011 08:06 |  #1

Is there such thing? Because Batteries can be such a painnn :rolleyes: . Thanks for your help

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/amekkaoui/ (external link)

sponsored links
dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,081 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Apr 24, 2011 08:12 |  #2

If it doesn't use batteries it would have to have a cord to plug into the wall.
That seems like it would be even more of a pain.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

Matthew ­ Patrick
395 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Apr 24, 2011 08:17 |  #3

Gunpowder on a stick, they used to use a chemical flash which didn't require batteries. Remember flash cubes.

Stump
772 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Apr 24, 2011 08:20 |  #4

What is it that you dislike about batteries so much?

6D - 50 1.8 - 50 1.4 - 70-200F4L

Apr 24, 2011 08:56 |  #5

You could have an assistant use a big reflector to block the sun from the subject, then just as you press the shutter, have the assistant quickly move the reflector and back into place as the shutter stops. You can probably get sync speeds up to 1/8000 with this method.............../​sarcasm

Or or....you can find one that's solar powered, but recharge speeds may be upwards of 2-3 hours on a full power shot.............../sa​rcasm

Please think about what you're asking.....

Flickr Photostream (external link)
Canon 50D w/ Grip - Sigmalux 50mm 1.4

Stump
772 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Apr 24, 2011 08:58 |  #6

Geek Chic Photography wrote in post #12282630 (external link)
You could have an assistant use a big reflector to block the sun from the subject, then just as you press the shutter, have the assistant quickly move the reflector and back into place as the shutter stops. You can probably get sync speeds up to 1/8000 with this method.............../​sarcasm

Or or....you can find one that's solar powered, but recharge speeds may be upwards of 2-3 hours on a full power shot.............../sa​rcasm

Please think about what you're asking.....

What about a wind up flash? :lol:

6D - 50 1.8 - 50 1.4 - 70-200F4L

wowa
THREAD ­ STARTER
195 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Apr 24, 2011 09:44 |  #7

lol what... I was only asking whether or not there is a rechargable Flash ... forget it lol...............

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/amekkaoui/ (external link)

Apr 24, 2011 09:51 |  #8

wowa wrote in post #12282759 (external link)
lol what... I was only asking whether or not there is a rechargable Flash ... forget it lol...............

A rechargeable flash uses rechargeable BATTERIES...

Flickr Photostream (external link)
Canon 50D w/ Grip - Sigmalux 50mm 1.4

jimbob85
165 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Apr 24, 2011 09:54 |  #9

...you said flash with no batteries, not rechargeable.
In that case, use good rechargeables like Eneloops.

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,349 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Apr 24, 2011 13:26 |  #10

Buy a commercial leaf blower that you wear on your back. Rig it up to drive an alternator and step the voltage down to power the flash through its external power jack.

sardines
171 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Apr 24, 2011 22:17 |  #11

I've read in canon rumor page, there is a solar/lunar powered flash being tested in Japan.

Springfield Armory Range Officer .45ACP /// Springfield Armory XDM 5.25" 9mm /// Ruger SR22 /// Ruger 10/22 Takedown

PeaceFire
Goldmember
2,281 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Apr 24, 2011 23:46 |  #12

I'm assuming OP meant no batteries as in removable batteries. It would be nice if they created a flash that used the same battery/charging system as, say, the iPad. Where there IS a battery, but you never see it. But then the battery life would have to be 10+ hours for wedding work since you wouldn't have the time for recharging it during the day. But for portrait work this would be great!

My Gear List / My Blog (external link)

jimbob85
165 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Apr 25, 2011 00:14 |  #13

A non removable battery would be a horrible idea.
A lithium-ion battery such as those used in the camera would be a great idea.

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,349 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Apr 25, 2011 01:35 |  #14

jimbob85 wrote in post #12286705 (external link)

Yeah I'd rather not throw out my flash in 3 years when the battery reaches the end of its service life.

BoneJj
Goldmember
1,269 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Apr 25, 2011 01:59 |  #15

jimbob85 wrote in post #12286705 (external link)

you are wrong on the second count...

lithium ion batteries tend to put out power slowly, they might maintain that power level longer but they discharge slower than alkaline batteries.

NICAD batteries have the best discharge rates for flashes, they can discharge at a much higher rate than most other batteries but due to their negative environmental issues they have pretty much been wiped off the market.

For flashes you want the ability to cycle faster and that comes from the discharge rate. While yes lithium cells can store a lot of power they, by design, can only put it back out at the rate they have been designed for.

It would be nice if they produced a high rate of discharge lithium cell but then it would end up raiding the cost of the speedlite and replacement cells too high.

If you are working in an environment where you wont be moving the speedlite around all that much you can do as I have done. make a dummy battery pack that inserts into the battery bay and has a power adapter attached to the other end that puts out 6volts at the proper amperage. I think it's like 600ma, it's been a little while since I've looked at it.

you'll get a nice constant refresh rate for the flash that will allow you to keep shooting all day without having to swap batteries. I do this all the time when I'm working indoors, when on location I just use rechargeables, I much more prefer the Sanyo Eneloops as they do perform rather well.

Here is a link to to what you should be looking at:
http://www.amazon.com …camp=1789&creat​ive=390957 (external link)

Just choose one of the sets with charger and you are good to go, I personally like this set:
http://www.amazon.com …9&creativeASIN=​B0049MOJ2U (external link)
It comes with:

• Charger
  • 12 AA batteries (2000mAh < this is the capacity of the batteries, about the best you will get for the price)
  • 4 AAA batteries (800mAh < pretty high for a AAA)
  • 2 C and D Spacers (insert the AAs into the spacers to use them in devices that require either of the sizes)
  • Also the storage case is handy for keeping things sorted and together.

Plus these batteries should last you at least anywhere from 5 to 7 or even more years without issue, so think of all the expenses you will save with not having to buy normal disposable batteries.

I've done a lot of research on batteries over the last year as I like to make good use of what I have and not have to blow cash all the time replacing something that is "consumable". This is really the best bang for your buck.

--Bone | FSS (external link) | flickr (external link) | Gear list (external link) |

sponsored links

2,590 views & 0 likes for this thread
A Camera Flash that doesn't use Batteries?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.