Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 23 Apr 2011 (Saturday) 20:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Best Yongnuo Bang For Your Buck?

PeaceFire
Goldmember
2,281 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Apr 23, 2011 20:40 |  #1

YN-460ii - $45
YN-560 - $61
YN-468 - $92

I'm just debating which on the three is the best bang for the buck. I know which one is best for on-camera but I will be using this flash primarily for studio lighting and as a back-up. I keep thinking I don't really need E-TTL for OCF and the lack of stand-by turn off is really turning me off of the YN-468. Then is the YN-560 enough of an upgrade over the YN-460ii to pay the extra $15? On my budget I could get 2x YN-460iis but only 1 YN-560 or YN-468.

My Gear List / My Blog (external link)

sponsored links
Katalyst
812 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Apr 23, 2011 20:52 |  #2

save up some more and get 2 YN-560 as I did... They're great!

PeaceFire
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,281 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Apr 23, 2011 21:00 |  #3

Katalyst wrote in post #12280452 (external link)
save up some more and get 2 YN-560 as I did... They're great!

How long have you had them? What do you use them for? I am definitely leaning towards the 560s and just pushing my budget a bit. Just want to make sure it's the best deal!

Steve_with_asperations
33 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Apr 23, 2011 21:43 |  #4

I've been using my duo of 560's for the best part of eight months now and although one does occasionally misfire (Most likely because it has been dropped/blown over numerous times) they are still going strong. They do the job.

7D and Gripped 30D, 17-40 f4 L, 85 f1.8 Nikkor 50mm F1.4, Strobist kit growing all the time.

Katalyst
812 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Apr 24, 2011 07:22 |  #5

PeaceFire wrote in post #12280489 (external link)
How long have you had them? What do you use them for? I am definitely leaning towards the 560s and just pushing my budget a bit. Just want to make sure it's the best deal!

2 Days! :lol:
No seriously, I've mounted them on my Cactus v5's and they perform wonderfully!

Bohh
98 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 24, 2011 10:13 |  #6

I am in the same boat. I hope you don't mind me joining this conversation but I am looking to get my first flash to go along with my t2i. I have no idea what features I need or how I'll use it. I am interested in taking portraits but also studio stuff including macros and still lifes. What is recommended? Also is there somewhere that easily displays and describes the feature differences and uses if each of these?

Canon 550D | 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 | 55-250mm f/4-5.6 | 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 200-500mm
flickr (external link)

BrickR
Cream of the Crop
5,935 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 24, 2011 11:31 |  #7

For a first flash, a manual flash like the 460 or the 560 are excellent values. After learning them and playing around with them for a while, you will get a better idea about if you need or want TTL in another flash. The 560 has a zoom head, which probably won't matter in a first flash, is supposed to be stronger (but not by much), and has a ready beep. Plus the battery door is much better than the 460. I haven't had any problems with the doors on my 460s but that's because I'm very careful when I open/close them. They are really crap designed doors, but if you're gentle with them, they'll be fine. The price on the 460s is just so dirt cheap its hard to NOT recommend them to anyone.
To the op, for a studio, I'd take 2 460s over 1 560 unless you want the ready beep.
To Bohh, either will be fine for a first flash. I got the 460 as a first flash because of how inexpensive it is and ended up getting another one because for the price, why not? ;)

My junk
The grass isn't greener on the other side, it's green where you water it.

Bohh
98 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 24, 2011 11:54 |  #8

BrickR thank you!

Can you tell me what the intended purpose of TTL is? For example, a piratical use of when you may need it?

Canon 550D | 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 | 55-250mm f/4-5.6 | 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 200-500mm
flickr (external link)

Katalyst
812 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Apr 24, 2011 12:53 |  #9

TTL can be seen as the automatic mode on your camera dial, but for the flash unit... It does all the light metering for you and it will give accurate exposure 9/10 times!

BrickR
Cream of the Crop
5,935 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 24, 2011 13:15 |  #10

Bohh, in just basics, TTL allows the camera to tell the flash what to fire at whereas a manual flash you select the power output. An example of practical terms for me was when I was shooting a family at a park. I set up my flashes manually for fill light, test firing shots to get the proper exposure. I was lucky that day, but if it was cloudy, I might have a properly exposed shot once, and then a funky shot next because the clouds made it darker. If you shoot outdoors, or in any environment where light can change on you, TTL helps with the hassle and guess work of flash power for proper exposure. Its not mandatory, but it is another tool you can use.
For a first flash to experiment and learn with, TTL wasn't worth the extra price for me, and the 460s are very simple to use. After using one 460 for a while, I decided that a TTL flash wasn't necessary for me at the stage, and another inexpensive manual flash would be a better use of my money.
I'm not a pro and I was in the same boat as others who are looking into off-camera flash, so I still have fresh personal experience with threads like this :)

My junk
The grass isn't greener on the other side, it's green where you water it.

martinsmith
680 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Apr 24, 2011 13:18 |  #11

I have a couple of 560s and use them as 1st choice for off camera flash over my 3xSB28s, Vivitar 285HV & Canon 580exii.

I like the way I get an audible beep when they have recycled, they have more power than the SB28s (which were my main flashes) and they are MUCH cheaper than the 580 which I only use if I need on camera FP flash. I can also use slave mode 2 if I need to trigger them with the 580s ETTL for creative use.

I got mine for £45 each.

[SIZE=1]ms-imaging (external link)

PeaceFire
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,281 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Apr 24, 2011 13:58 |  #12

I'm still a bit torn between the 460iis and the 560s. I now have enough money to get both, but getting 2 460iis still leaves me with more money for other things and there are a lot of other things I want! I keep refreshing the Amazon pages every morning hoping one goes either up or down in price and make my decision for me. Probably a bad way to choose but short of names in a hat I can't make up my mind on my own!

Katalyst wrote in post #12282385 (external link)
2 Days! :lol:
No seriously, I've mounted them on my Cactus v5's and they perform wonderfully!

That's good to hear because I'm pairing them with the V5s!

BlakeinatorMate
438 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Apr 24, 2011 16:33 |  #13

I'm seriously in the same bet here as well. I don't have enough money for 2 560s but I have enough for two 460iis but the features of the 560 are tempting me. :(

16 year old photography and videography enthusiast.

www.youtube.com/Blakei​natorMate (external link)
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/blakeinatormate​/ (external link)
www.blakebodycotephoto​graphy.com (external link)

PeaceFire
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,281 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Apr 24, 2011 22:12 |  #14

Since they have roughly the same amount of power, would mixing a 460ii with a 560 be an OK idea? I'm really leaning towards the 560s but even at $15 it's a bit of a bank-breaker and I'd love to get 2 flashes. So I could either get 2 460iis or 1 of each and then upgrade the 460ii when I have the money in the future. This is for OCF studio usage, btw.

wolfden
Goldmember
1,439 posts
Joined May 2008

Apr 24, 2011 22:25 |  #15

PeaceFire wrote in post #12286213 (external link)
Since they have roughly the same amount of power, would mixing a 460ii with a 560 be an OK idea? I'm really leaning towards the 560s but even at $15 it's a bit of a bank-breaker and I'd love to get 2 flashes. So I could either get 2 460iis or 1 of each and then upgrade the 460ii when I have the money in the future. This is for OCF studio usage, btw.

Not a problem at all, I have one of each, but I do recommend the 560s for the better build. The battery doors are horrible on the 460s, be ready to use a big rubber band for when it breaks.

Sample pic of 560 and 460 working together

IMAGE: http://wolf911.smugmug.com/Photography/Portraits/MG1162/1234328631_TWPmW-M.jpg

~KJS~
Photos by KJS (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | 500px (external link) | Google+ (external link)
Canon 60D Shooter

sponsored links

4,361 views & 0 likes for this thread
Best Yongnuo Bang For Your Buck?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.