Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 23 Apr 2011 (Saturday) 17:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

skyports and built in receivers.

suecassidy
Goldmember
4,102 posts
Joined May 2007

Apr 23, 2011 17:20 |  #1

Just playing with my elinchrom d lites that just arrived. Since they have built in skyport receivers, I was trying to make them work with a El-Skyport speed transmitter. Not a chance in hell. I had the settings all correct (r-1, g-1, f-1) etc. and can make them fire using the sync CORD and/or the photo cell, no problem. So in reading on the Elinchrom website, it appears that I need the Skyport ECO transmitter, not the El Skyport Speed. Huh? I already had to buy a Skyport UNIVERSAL receiver to "talk" to my canon flashes. So now I have to buy the ECO too?

I only planned on using the two d lites for background lighting, so I could always just use the photo cell function to trigger them off the Ranger/Octa main lights, but I'm very frustrated in not being able to trigger them with the El Skyport Speed transmitter.

Sue Cassidy
GEAR: Canon 1ds, Canon 1d Mark iii, Sony RX 100, Canon 50mmL 1.2, Canon 70-200L 2.8 IS, Canon 100-400L IS, Canon 14mm L, 2.8, . Lighting: Elinchrom Rangers, D-lite 400s, Canon 580/550 flashes. 74 ' Octabank, 27' Rotalux. Editing: Aperture 3

sponsored links
TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Apr 23, 2011 17:26 |  #2

Wow, I thought that any Skyport transmitter could trigger the built-in Skyports in D-Lite's. HHmmmm.

Robert
RobertMitchellPhotogra​phy (external link)

Lichtwerk
Goldmember
1,372 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Apr 23, 2011 23:29 as a reply to  @ TMR Design's post |  #3

Which mode is your transmitter in? You mention our D-Lites being in r1, so you need to make sure your Speed Transmitter is in Normal mode as well, or you need to change your D-Lite to Speed mode. If during standby, the transmitter's LED blinks twice, it's in Speed mode. If it blinks once every few seconds, it's in Standard mode.

The D-Lite manual wrote:
http://elinchrom.s3.am​azonaws.com/download/d​-lite_its.pdf (external link)

Press the flash power up-down buttons together to enter into the “Advanced Feature Setup”
Display shows Change settings with the flash power up-down buttons
r.0 EL-Skyport off
r.1 EL- Skyport on
r.2 EL-Skyport speed mode (only available with EL-Skyport Speed /
ECO)
After 3 to 4 seconds the settings are saved automatically and the display shows the flash power
setting

The Skyport Speed Transmitter manual wrote:
http://elinchrom.s3.am​azonaws.com …s_speed_transmi​tter_e.pdf (external link)

The SPEED function is available for Ranger Quadra AS, BXRi 250 / 500 und D-Lite it and all
other units, when used with the EL-Skyport Universal Speed.
Select “Speed” sync mode
Synchronises SLR cameras up to 1/250 s, or compact digital cameras up to
1/2850 s, depending on the camera type & the flash duration of the flash unit.
- Select “Group” or “All” mode.
- Press test push button for minimum 5 seconds until the STATUS LED flashes two times.
- Release test push button.
- Now the EL-Skyport Transmitter Speed works in “SPEED” mode (r.2 mode).
Select “Standard” triggering mode
Synchronises SLR cameras up to 1/200 s, or compact digital cameras up to
1/1600 s, depending on the camera type & the flash duration of the flash unit.
- Select “Group” or “All” mode.
- Press test push button for minimum 5 seconds until the STATUS LED flashes one time.
- Release test push button.
- Now the EL-Skyport Transmitter Speed works in “STANDARD” mode.

Dennis
Grip Aficionado
500px (external link)

spacetime
Goldmember
1,276 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 23, 2011 23:38 |  #4

TMR Design wrote in post #12279700 (external link)
Wow, I thought that any Skyport transmitter could trigger the built-in Skyports in D-Lite's. HHmmmm.

It does. My D-lite ITs fire with both the Universal Skyport and SPEED triggers.

FlashZebra
This space available
4,427 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Apr 24, 2011 01:04 |  #5

suecassidy wrote in post #12279684 (external link)
Just playing with my elinchrom d lites that just arrived. Since they have built in skyport receivers, I was trying to make them work with a El-Skyport speed transmitter. Not a chance in hell. I had the settings all correct (r-1, g-1, f-1) etc. and can make them fire using the sync CORD and/or the photo cell, no problem. So in reading on the Elinchrom website, it appears that I need the Skyport ECO transmitter, not the El Skyport Speed. Huh? I already had to buy a Skyport UNIVERSAL receiver to "talk" to my canon flashes. So now I have to buy the ECO too?

I only planned on using the two d lites for background lighting, so I could always just use the photo cell function to trigger them off the Ranger/Octa main lights, but I'm very frustrated in not being able to trigger them with the El Skyport Speed transmitter.

Try replacing the button battery in you Skyport transmitter.

Enjoy! Lon

http://flashzebra.com/ (external link)

martinsmith
680 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Apr 24, 2011 13:53 |  #6

Or making sure the battery is the right way up (don't ask why I suggest that....lol).

[SIZE=1]ms-imaging (external link)

pnmd
Goldmember
1,852 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Apr 24, 2011 16:03 |  #7

emitecaps wrote in post #12281264 (external link)
It does. My D-lite ITs fire with both the Universal Skyport and SPEED triggers.

same here.

Like Dennis says make sure Speed Transmitter not in Speed mode.

And changing battery could help.

Peter
Facebook (external link)
behind the scenes (external link)
500px (external link)

suecassidy
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,102 posts
Joined May 2007

Apr 24, 2011 16:05 |  #8

It isn't the battery, as the Skyport works fine with my ranger light. If I'm reading Dennis' post correctly, it isn't enough to have all the settings right on the d-lite (which I do). It appears from reading his post that I have to do something else with the transmitter, besides making sure the code r-1, g1-, and f1 are correct. I think that post suggests that I have to hold the test button for 5 seconds until the status led blinks twice. Apparently that will set in into "speed" mode? If that is the case, I suppose I'd also have to change the setting the r-2... I'm busting out lights later today, I'll give it a whirl.

The fact that I can't get EITHER of the two d-lites to fire using the transmitter, tells me that I'm doing something wrong with the settings. The transmitter clearly works, I can flash my ranger with it. The d-lites work, I can trigger them BOTH with the photo cell or the sync cord. It MUST be the transmitter/d-lite settings, but it really does seem like I have everything set as it should be.

Sue Cassidy
GEAR: Canon 1ds, Canon 1d Mark iii, Sony RX 100, Canon 50mmL 1.2, Canon 70-200L 2.8 IS, Canon 100-400L IS, Canon 14mm L, 2.8, . Lighting: Elinchrom Rangers, D-lite 400s, Canon 580/550 flashes. 74 ' Octabank, 27' Rotalux. Editing: Aperture 3

suecassidy
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,102 posts
Joined May 2007

Apr 24, 2011 16:08 |  #9

pnmd wrote in post #12284461 (external link)
same here.

Like Dennis says make sure Speed Transmitter not in Speed mode.

And changing battery could help.

If the transmitter IS indeed in speed mode, wouldn't changing the r-1 setting to r-2 be all that would have to happen to make this work? I am under the impression that r-2 is the correct setting for a transmitter in speed mode. My technology hates me.

Sue Cassidy

pnmd
Goldmember
1,852 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Apr 24, 2011 16:31 |  #10

suecassidy wrote in post #12284485 (external link)
If the transmitter IS indeed in speed mode, wouldn't changing the r-1 setting to r-2 be all that would have to happen to make this work? I am under the impression that r-2 is the correct setting for a transmitter in speed mode. My technology hates me.

I'd change transmitter to normal mode and D Lite to r.1 and try everything in normal mode. I'd be very surprised if BOTH of your D Lite's have faulty Skyport receivers.

btw didn't even know D Lite has Speed mode, interesting...gonna try some faster shutters when I get home ;)

Peter
Facebook (external link)
500px (external link)

abbadon31
Goldmember
4,996 posts
Gallery: 264 photos
Best ofs: 10
Joined Jul 2009

Apr 24, 2011 17:08 |  #11

Is the switch on the side of the speed set to all channels?

I AM SHOM

suecassidy
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,102 posts
Joined May 2007

Apr 24, 2011 17:44 |  #12

abbadon31 wrote in post #12284728 (external link)
Is the switch on the side of the speed set to all channels?

yes, it was. (I'm assuming you mean the hierarchy off/group/all, it was set to "all". The three little white 1, 2, 3 switches (CH) are pushed down. The "Group" switch down below the off/group/all switch is set at the first setting, 1.

Sue Cassidy

suecassidy
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,102 posts
Joined May 2007

Apr 24, 2011 17:50 |  #13

pnmd wrote in post #12284594 (external link)
I'd change transmitter to normal mode and D Lite to r.1 and try everything in normal mode. I'd be very surprised if BOTH of your D Lite's have faulty Skyport receivers.

btw didn't even know D Lite has Speed mode, interesting...gonna try some faster shutters when I get home ;)

The transmitter is in standard mode, indicated by the led light only flashing once. Given that it is in standard mode, r-1 is the correct setting, and that is where I had it.

Given that I"m using these d-lites as back ground lights and they can be slaved by the photo cell, it isn't a salvation issue. HOWEVER, I paid good money for wireless capability and wireless doodads and I want them to work wirelessly! I'm sure it is just something really stupid that I'm doing, but I can't figure it out for the life o' me.

Sue Cassidy

pnmd
Goldmember
1,852 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Apr 24, 2011 19:14 |  #14

suecassidy wrote in post #12284888 (external link)
The transmitter is in standard mode, indicated by the led light only flashing once. Given that it is in standard mode, r-1 is the correct setting, and that is where I had it.

Given that I"m using these d-lites as back ground lights and they can be slaved by the photo cell, it isn't a salvation issue. HOWEVER, I paid good money for wireless capability and wireless doodads and I want them to work wirelessly! I'm sure it is just something really stupid that I'm doing, but I can't figure it out for the life o' me.

not sure why it doesn't work. Someone should iPhone Facetime with you to see what's up ;)

just tested Speed mode with D Lite 4 and Speed transmitter, works fine. Similar to Quadra can get fairly clean 1/250 with hint of banding shadow appearing, totally useable IMO

Peter
Facebook (external link)
500px (external link)

Lichtwerk
Goldmember
1,372 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Apr 24, 2011 19:30 |  #15

suecassidy wrote in post #12284485 (external link)

Correct, all you would have to do is change it to r2 to get it to work...

suecassidy wrote in post #12284888 (external link)

Really odd. You should probably email Elinchrom / Mark Astmann about it...

pnmd wrote in post #12284594 (external link)

Curiously, even though they don't really seem to mention it a lot, all their lights with built-in Skyports have Speed mode. I have the old non-RX Quadra and the manual lists r2 mode as a future option that currently has no function. It's Speed mode.. :)

Dennis
Grip Aficionado
500px (external link)

sponsored links

4,638 views & 0 likes for this thread
skyports and built in receivers.
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.